Terry Christian – the true face of Remoaner bigotry

His vile views are just a clearer expression of the Remainer ideology.

spiked

Topics Brexit Politics UK

Terry Christian, known for presenting The Word on Channel 4 in the 1990s, is not a fan of Brexit.

In fact, Christian can barely contain his contempt for Leave voters. He has tweeted about his hopes that pro-Brexit pensioners are hit with a ‘good virulent strain’ of flu to punish them for voting to ‘destroy our lives’.

He also hopes Leave voters will suffer financially:

‘Brexiteers deserve all the job losses and hardship heading their and their family’s way. All those tough Christmases ahead for their kids, all their “short-term pain”. But I will get behind it in future… by buying a Big Issue off the pitiable saps.’

Today, on Good Morning Britain, Piers Morgan confronted Christian over his tweets. Christian was unrepentant:

Christian’s remarks are certainly vile. But at least he is honest. He is simply saying what we know many elite Remoaners think. They, too, view elderly Leavers as surplus to requirements and working-class voters as dimwitted and hateful, only they often express their bigotry in a more guarded way.

It is these prejudices against the ‘low-information’ and ‘soon-to-be-dead’ voters that prevented Remainers from seeing Leave voters as their democratic equals, allowing them to wage an all-out war on democracy without any semblance of guilt.

Terry Christian deserves our thanks for putting his unflinching and ugly Remainer bigotry out in the open. Now we know what we are dealing with.

Comments

Billy Westhead

2nd February 2020 at 4:44 pm

Let’s not be too hard on this bell end Terry Christian. It must be difficult being a long forgotten nobody, from a couple of 2nd rate TV shows. It’s better to laugh at this dimwit who, in his parallel universe, actually considers himself to be intelligent. Hope I haven’t got this wrong and the poor bugger has actually suffered a major head trauma at some point

Hugh Oxford

1st February 2020 at 10:47 am

I have vague, drunken memories of Terry Christian’s brief but irritating late night TV career from decades ago. I honestly had entirely forgotten about him until, for some inexplicable reason, he started becoming a talking head for remain.

My question is this: why does this man have any more of a platform to air his views on national TV than, say, any name picked at random from a phone book, or my postman, or, indeed, anyone? This really points to the power of the media. They aren’t beholden to any process of democracy or legitimacy, they can just amplify whoever they like.

My second observation is the tragedy of it. Terry Christian is now an elderly man who looks like a walnut pickled in battery acid. But he behaves worse than most of the most petulant children I have ever met. It’s appalling. Our children will see this elderly man behaving in the most ungracious, obnoxious way on national TV and they will think this is an acceptable way to behave. It’s scandalous.

Aunty Podes

31st January 2020 at 11:15 pm

This remoaner, like the rest, see themselves as “the elite” who know it all and anybody with a different opinion has to be a moron. Their delusions of grandeur prevent them from realising that their very attitude is much of the problem. They have their mirror images across the ditch – the hysterical D卐M☭CRAPS.

Long may they continue to self-destruct …

31st January 2020 at 11:06 pm

NIHIL EST INCERTIUS VULGO

Jonathan Marshall

2nd February 2020 at 9:57 pm

Oh, we’re the “masses” are we? As in lumpenproletariat?
You really are a prize snob.

Finbarr Bruggy

31st January 2020 at 3:58 pm

I watched him on GMB. A prize twat. He made Mark Francois sound reasonable.

James E Shaw

30th January 2020 at 10:25 pm

So, Terry Christian is the face of the Remoaner elite, out of touch, London metropolitan, public/privately educated and a reminder of how it was a chiefly working class revolt against that elite.

Oh, sorry, I forgot. he was actually born in Stretford, his father was a shop steward and his mother was a dinner lady.

But of course, Brexit was a working class revolution with a working class Mancunian a vocal opponent of it and the chief benefactor being an Etonian ex member of the Bullingdon club.

By the way, Terry Christian’s comments were vile.

Rick O’Shay

19th February 2020 at 4:50 pm

He’s a poorly educated (an HND, for goodness’ sake!!), brainwashed into Catholicism at primary school and by his Irish Catholic parents, meaning he’s a superstitious idiot. Yet HE has the gall to suggest we ‘leavers’ are idiots!! What an utter moron. His slovenly speech tells you everything you need to know about this twerp.

Julian Cutter

30th January 2020 at 6:46 pm

You lot are so funny who ever you voted for Be it leave / remain / labour / Tory .
You will never know the truth because all so twisted .
Your guided by a load of bullshit which suits your beliefs/ morals / circumstance.
It done and dusted crack on !
Springs on it’s way the blue bells are starting to come through .
Go put the energy into something positive instead of this pointless argument.
Go give your women / man a hug or play with your kids .
You are arguing about something you all know fuck all about .
Because you’ll never know the Real truth so Why bother getting upset !

Willie Penwright

30th January 2020 at 10:33 am

The Christian way of dealing with other people’s opinions is to prevent them from speaking.
Imagine being trapped on a train or bus with a bore like that.
We mustn’t forget that the Remoan movement is not just comprised of the legal and political elite but has a lumpen thuggery element as well. All the ingredients for fascist soup.

29th January 2020 at 6:55 pm

My comments all being deleted. is Xenops in charge here?

29th January 2020 at 10:29 pm

I certainly am. I’ve hacked their system and taken back control!

Rock Ape

31st January 2020 at 10:40 pm

You really are a non stop repository of “male chicken head” “male bovine excrement”. Your obvious lack of self awareness demonstrates that you are not phased by large numbers of spiked readers thinking O god its that neap head again.

Clive Thomas

29th January 2020 at 6:17 pm

I voted to leave and am proud to have stood up for Britain. I am neither elderly or uneducated (I have a degree in mathematics). However, unlike most people I did my research. Has anyone considered what will happen in 2021 when the Lisburn treaty comes into full force? Well all those remoaners who are vilifying us Brexiteers go read it in full. I don’t want to live in a country where we are dictated to by other countries, have a currency forced upon us that we don’t want, have our sovereign laws banished and replaced by EU laws. It would be pointless having elections in this country as our parliament would have no power to do so. Our economy would be under the control of the EU and so would our Armed Forces. If people want to live under this draconian dictatorship then I suggest those people go live in mainland Europe, while here in Britain I don’t think things will be as bad the doom and gloom merchants. It will be different and tough but we will survive so will Europe

Simon James

29th January 2020 at 6:30 pm

Clive, you say you’ve done your research but that Lisbon Treaty rubbish was debunked months ago, it’s a lie. So out with it are you knowingly telling a lie or is this another porkie you’ve swallowed like a good little Brexiteer?

Ian Bradbury

29th January 2020 at 6:46 pm

Look, you won. It’s not clear to me what you won, but win you did. So can we please finally stop with this made up nonsense about the “Lisbon Treaty ” coming into force in 2020 ( or 2021 in your version)?

29th January 2020 at 12:52 pm

Thanks to the Brexit nutters the UK must be the first country in history to have placed sanctions on itself. Well done lads! Maybe you could increase Spitfire production to compensate for the decline in GDP!

29th January 2020 at 5:12 pm

So Xenops, what’s your view on odious remainer fascists like Terry? Personally, I’d like to ask him which evil Brexiteers should go to the gas chambers first: the very dangerous elderly ones in wheelchairs, or the dumb gammons who stupidly insist on loving their own nation? But I suspect you admire the clever and tasteful humour of arch-remainer snobs like Richard Dawkins, who so hopes that elderly Brexiteers will ‘soon fall off their perches’. Like the Nazis, Dawkins seems blissfully unaware of his obvious bigotry, but are you?

29th January 2020 at 6:46 pm

ZP
Still crying I see…. Faaantastic!

29th January 2020 at 6:55 pm

Bigot

29th January 2020 at 10:37 pm

Bigot

christopher birkin

30th January 2020 at 12:25 pm

Don’t worry you have weeks left before you have to leave.

Linda Payne

29th January 2020 at 8:28 am

I recall a televised debate years ago when this rent a gob constantly interrupted a Spiked contributer, what an obnoxious prat

Michael Lynch

29th January 2020 at 1:24 am

Christian is a vile thug and a highly self opinionated one at that. He always was a thick ignorant slob. He represents all that is indecent about today’s society. Personally, I can’t wait for his type to die off.

Hugh Oxford

1st February 2020 at 10:55 am

I agree. I think he embodies everything that is wrong with this country. It was appalling.

steve moxon

28th January 2020 at 11:55 pm

It’s actually affirming our intelligence to be dubbed thick by the willfully thickest numptie on TV, who fronted possibly the most inane TV show ever; a show that has difficulty in not being even less insignificant than its presenter.

Simon James

28th January 2020 at 10:07 pm

I’m afraid Terry is simply talking the truth. Just listen to most brexiteers and it’s clear that they know nothing about the actual facts of Brexit. They’ve bought a complete fantasy sold to them by people who mainly wanted to sell them more newspapers. If they were confident about their choices then they would ignore people like Terry Christian, unfortunately their beliefs are built on sand and deep down they know they’ve been played, that’s why they hate being reminded about it so much.

NEIL DATSON

28th January 2020 at 10:58 pm

‘I’m afraid Terry is simply talking the truth. Just listen to most brexiteers . . . ‘

Simon, I will confess that you have the advantage of me. I so rarely hear brexiteers at all. It is certainly not difficult for me to read online what remainers claim that brexiteers say. In so far as I trouble with the broadcast media I get much the same impression: remainers telling the audience what views brexiteers hold. As – when I enter into debate – I want to tell others what my views are not have them told me by my opponent, I’m not prepared to bother much with the broadcast media.

Further. as I have bought about 3 newspapers in the last 3 years I clearly cannot be counted in your category of people who’ve: ‘bought a complete fantasy sold to them by people who mainly wanted to sell them more newspapers’. So maybe I don’t fit into your set of ‘most brexiteers’ at all. However, this I will state. From the information in the article and the recorded clip Christian appears to me to an exceptionally stupid and ignorant man.

29th January 2020 at 5:20 pm

You aren’t ‘afraid’, and you certainly aren’t afraid to cheerlead for remainer bigots. But you clearly do hate: do you really think elitist sneering and absurd projection of your hateful feelings onto innocent people you don’t know and won’t even talk to in a civil manner will win debates, friends, influence, respect, elections, and a credible future for the left? Dream on, bitter loser – history beckons.

Harry Lagman

29th January 2020 at 7:59 am

“Just listen to most brexiteers and it’s clear that they know nothing about the actual facts of Brexit”

That’s just the thing. You haven’t listened to them at all; you’ve gathered together with other Remainers on social media and told each other Leavers are stupid racists.

It makes me shout with laughter to hear the Remain-at-all-costs brigade talk about the “facts” – which apparently they’re privy to, being our intellectual superiors.

When actually confronted with a dignified, rational response, their immediate recourse is to change tack and start the insults. It’s their attitude that is the problem, as evidenced by your lack of awareness of Mr Christian’s unpleasantness

Simon James

29th January 2020 at 4:07 pm

What will happen now is Boris will try to rewrite the complex relationship we already have with The EU but it won’t be as good as the one we have (because why would they give us everything we had) and we have will have no say over the EU’s decisions. Take back control eh? Brilliant.

Simon James

29th January 2020 at 4:13 pm

Terry is simple confounded that grown adults have decided to willingly hobble the country for no other reason than some vague promises about control and sovereignty. And blue passports. The small increase in trading with new partners will not compensate us for what we lose so Boris will basically try to recreate what we already have. It’s a cliche but nothing we get from the EU or new markets combined will ever be good as what we had. But carry on waving your little flag.

29th January 2020 at 5:27 pm

Simon James wants power over the people, not power to the people. What a typical leftist fraud and elitist. Hey Simon, have you worked out yet that preaching equality to the inferiors you sneer at can only screw up your credibility and already very closed mind? Also, that bitter hate and intolerance of Brexiteers you suffer so obviously is produced inside you and by you, not by those you sadly project it onto.

Geoff Cox

29th January 2020 at 8:09 am

Steve – perhaps you could tell me why people voted to remain? Both choices were based on an unknowable future, so both sides are/were in the same camp.

If I was to characterise the two sides, I’d say leavers were voting on long term “big ticket items” eg sovereignty, democracy, borders, etc, Remainers were voting on immediate issues eg my son wants to go to uni in France, what about roaming charges, will I be able to take my pet abroad etc. This is why the referendum debate was so frustrating for both sides as the arguments just went by the other side.

29th January 2020 at 11:41 am

Do people still buy papers.. how quaint ?
You say people know deep down they were played, so that’s why Boris was victorious and magic grandpa was trashed in the recent GE eh?
Joined up original thinking is far better than boring soundbites try it sometime !

Simon James

29th January 2020 at 4:17 pm

Boris was ‘victorious’ because most of the country have been groomed and the others are just sick and tired of this and want it to end. That doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. He doesn’t even think it’s a good idea, he did it to become prime minister.

29th January 2020 at 4:57 pm

Simon James
..’most of the country has been groomed’.. ha ha what a funny little hoot you are !

29th January 2020 at 5:37 pm

Simon Jones, what Brexiteers value is not Boris, but his promise to fully deliver the policy we see as best, which we repeatedly voted for, but which a lying, anti-democratic remainer Parliament and establishment continue to sneer at and maybe thwart. Smearing him for wanting to be Prime Minister is also unimportant: what PM, if any, didn’t want to become PM?

29th January 2020 at 12:50 pm

Simon James speaks the truth.

Jonathan Marshall

29th January 2020 at 4:40 pm

He doesn’t – and neither do you.

29th January 2020 at 5:38 pm

Xenops, you jest!

Danny Rees

28th January 2020 at 9:55 pm

Blimey you just can’t say anything these days without the PC crowd taking offence.

Whatever happened to freedom of speech?

Iain Litenment

28th January 2020 at 10:54 pm

Are you some kind of idiot?

Harry Lagman

29th January 2020 at 8:05 am

You’ve haven’t found a contradiction in our POV, so please don’t feel too pleased with yourself.

I believe in freedom of speech so I’m happy for him to show his true colours. Its good for people to see him as he is. Same for Alastair Campbell, George Osborne, Jeremy Corbyn, Joylon Maugham etc

Ian Bradbury

28th January 2020 at 9:54 pm

Steve Fray
I agree it’s an unpleasant attitude. I’m not sure the “remianer” trope is all that mice either mind. A decent interval of quiet on both sides maybe?

Neil McCaughan

28th January 2020 at 8:34 pm

There are few people more completely negligible than Terry Christian. Piffling squirts like Stephen Bray, Andrew Adonis and A C Grayling can only dream of such insignificance.

28th January 2020 at 7:51 pm

Meanwhile, your man Boris has just handed the hostile, fascist government of China and its telecoms arm (Huawei) effective control of the UK 5G network. So who are the ‘traitors’ now. Can the Tories be trusted with national security when they so willingly sell key national assets and infrastructure to the enemies of liberty? Perhaps the Tories are in the pocket of the Chinese and Russians already. Ask Putin just how easy it is to buy off these selfless servants of the state.

alan smithee

28th January 2020 at 8:50 pm

2 Xenophobic comments in one paragraph..

29th January 2020 at 10:35 pm

You think the Russians and Chinese are our friends? Putin ordered the use of chemical weapons on UK soil ( against which the British government did nothing). The Chinese threaten Taiwan and have built illegal bases in the South China sea.

29th January 2020 at 6:00 pm

Hey Xenops, have you given up rooting for EU nobs? Strange; those non-British EU politicians can never be little Englanders or xenophobes, and are so much more virtuous and competent than evil Tories, don’t you think? Never elected but always enlightened, our EU leaders even shame Labour nowadays, stuffed as it is with racists and anti-working class bigots. But EU politicians can always be trusted to protect our democracy, freedom, sovereignty, trade policy, national security, fish, sandwiches and sperm etc. Lastly, my apologies for any misrepresentation. Maybe you have already devolved from the superior branch of humanity in which EU leaders and devotees reside, or solved the older but related problem of leftist elitists preaching and enforcing equality for the benefit of inferior non-leftists.

alan smithee

28th January 2020 at 7:35 pm

There’s that photo of him with Saville .. I remember he said everyone knew about Saville but still paid tribute to him when he died.

Emmett Elvin

28th January 2020 at 7:12 pm

He’s simply not very bright, is he?

28th January 2020 at 7:28 pm

He was yesterday’s man back when yesterday was today.
What always surprises me is who passes as a ‘celeb’ these days. Surely not a bloke who was in a short-lived music show on Channel 4 absolutely ages ago. If he’s done anything since, it’s been kept quiet.
Anyway, I always preferred his grandad, Fletcher.

28th January 2020 at 7:46 pm

Christian is about the same intellectual level as Francois i.e. positively subterranean. Francois is a WWII fantasist; Christian is just your common or garden idiot.

KEITH RYDER

28th January 2020 at 5:57 pm

this fkn cretting is a crepe always had a fkn chip on his shoulder if he so concerned about brexit why does he not just fuck off to the eu with the fkn rest of the remoaners

James Williams

28th January 2020 at 4:57 pm

What a prat indeed. He certainly doesn’t speak for the majority of remain voters but even with Brexit Day fast approaching the TV companies like to boost ratings by exaggerating division. It’s tedious and unhelpful. I voted remain but have been disgusted by some of the rhetoric coming out of that side of the argument.

29th January 2020 at 6:23 pm

How dare you excuse those ancient, bigoted, white, dumb, xenophobic, close-minded little Englanders! They’ve ruined a great future for us all in the EU, which knows very well the great evil threatening us all:

“National sovereignty is the root cause of the most crying evils of our times….The only final remedy for this evil is the federal union of the peoples.”

This highly factual mission statement (on the plaque at the EU visitor centre) explains why dumb old Brexiteer veterans who helped save and still love the free nations of Europe may be the EU’s greatest enemy. They fully deserve to ‘drop off their perches’, as the highly respected and highly rational remainer Richard Dawkins so eloquently put it. Like the less intellectual Christian, Dawkins clearly knows what’s best for Britain. Even so, I think we should demand more clarity: do Dawkins, Christian and their kind fear and blame elderly Brexiteers in wheelchairs or gammon Brexiteers with excessive tattoos as most responsible for sabotaging our glorious future in the Empire of Peace?

Steve Gray

28th January 2020 at 4:55 pm

Someone should throw that Christian to the lions..

Paul Pattison

28th January 2020 at 3:45 pm

I dont know why hes on the television hes a pratt

i Mac

28th January 2020 at 7:15 pm

He’s an ignorant monoglot. Like most remainiacs.

28th January 2020 at 3:08 pm

Remoan tantrums are absolutely hilarious. Rubbing their dumb noses in Brexit for years to come is going to be so much fun.

28th January 2020 at 7:41 pm

‘their dumb noses’ — it seems that your ad hominem tactics are no different to those employed by Christian.

29th January 2020 at 6:27 pm

As you know Xenops, all’s fair in love and war. I’m sure you’d adopt and recommmend the tactic of shooting a guy running at you with a machete. Now, what’s your view on guns and self-defence?

28th January 2020 at 3:00 pm

Raising his voice, talking over people, interrupting, name calling – sums up the substance of the post referendum Remain campaign.

They will be right now trying to figure out how to spin recent good economic news as a negative consequence of Brexit.

28th January 2020 at 7:44 pm

‘Recent good news’ — what, like handing a foreign telecoms company controlled by a hostile government effective control of your national 5G network? So that’s what you meant by ‘taking back control’ — giving it to the Chinese!

28th January 2020 at 8:48 pm

ZP
Are your hysterical tantrums going to peak come Friday?
I do hope not I really enjoy your hissy fits.. soooo funny !

Harry Lagman

29th January 2020 at 8:17 am

Well the problem is that the economy ‘will* have ups and downs. Some will spin any bad news as proof that Brexit is a disaster, others will look at good news and say “wheres the economic disaster you emphatically told us was going to happen”.
In truth, Brexit was a political decision, not a narrow, short-term trade issue. We wanted to be governed by the HoC, not by unaccountable bureaucrats. I don’t think Remain ever had an answer for that.

29th January 2020 at 6:28 pm

The term ‘cry-bully’ surely pre-existed remainers, but how well they exemplify it!

Stephen Berry

28th January 2020 at 2:16 pm

The other crime of the elderly was that they fought against the nice Germans in the Second World War, when all the Germans wanted was to give us Brits the benefit of their rule (plus ca change). No wonder Terry Christian wants them to hurry up and die.

Ian Bradbury

28th January 2020 at 4:55 pm

Unless were in the habit of using child soldiers most of the people who fought in WW2 are now, sadly, dead. The bulk of “elderly Brexit voters” are more realistically post war children brought up on sentimental fantasies about the war.

Steve Gray

28th January 2020 at 8:23 pm

Ian,

Either way, the tone of the ‘O.K. Boomer’ attitude is ‘Aren’t You Fkucing Dead Yet?’ I don’t regard that as particualrly classy, to say the least. What do you think of it ?

29th January 2020 at 6:34 pm

‘Sentimental fantasies’ sounds so intolerant and disrespectful of those who risked their lives to save the nation and make our modern life of rights and freedoms possible. My mum lost 3 lovers in the war; my father escaped Stalin’s occupied Poland and walked across Euope on foot to the UK, where he spent 3 years hunting U-boats with the surviving Polish navy. What makes you sneer at them and their sacrifice?

Hugh Oxford

1st February 2020 at 11:09 am

It was those people who overwhelmingly took us into the EEC.

Geoff Cox

29th January 2020 at 8:14 am

Steve – Report to your nearest re-education camp immediately. We didn’t fight those nice Germans in WW2, we fought the Nazis.

29th January 2020 at 12:54 pm

And you’re still fighting them because you are a jingoist and ignorant of anything beyond Dover. The Germans overtook you economically decades ago.

29th January 2020 at 6:37 pm

Xenops, you can and do make fair(ish) comments on this forum, then descend into truly awful and absurd smears and bigotry. That’s when you are most ignorant and most toad-like.

29th January 2020 at 10:30 pm

NICK HUNT — are you denying that Germany is a stronger economy than yours? They beat you by just about any metric.

28th January 2020 at 1:50 pm

I wonder how he will view those Brexit voters should they vote labour in their millions at the next GE… We know don’t we..Hypocritical POS!