‘Parliament must have a say… but not right now’

Lexington Hemsworth QC launches another anti-Brexit legal challenge.

Lexington Hemsworth QC

Topics Brexit Politics UK

To my public,

Lexington Hemsworth QC here. spiked – a publication which I find vile and whose staff should be thrown in jail – has kindly given me this platform to raise funds for my vital new legal case. A colleague of mine at the senior bar, Jolyon Maugham (pictured), or Saint Maugham as he is known at the Inn of Court’s buffet, has launched a petition in the Scottish courts to prevent the prime minister’s new Withdrawal Agreement from being brought before parliament.

Jo and I have had our differences in the past – it used to be me who advised a particular nameless pop star on his tax position, until Jo scandalously undercut my £1,200-per-hour rate. But he has proven himself to be the most important public figure of our time. If he were to put himself up for election I would certainly vote for him – but of course, his role is far too important for that.

Our case will join on to Jo’s. We have plucked some brave celebrities to be claimants, although some have respectfully declined. One email in my inbox said, and I quote, ‘I thought the whole f**king point was to have parliament consider a Brexit deal, you posh c**t’. Others were less kindly worded. But this really is a matter of principle. If the rule of law cannot be used to get what lawyers and celebrities want, then what exactly is it for?

Our position is simple. Parliament can discuss Brexit on the following terms. We expect this to be codified into a bill entitled Political Ultimatum Bill (Expedited), or PUBE 2019 for short. The terms will be that parliament may consider any Withdrawal Agreement agreed with the European Union if, and only if:

1) The Supreme Court issues a writ declaring that the deal is a good idea;

2) All lawyers are balloted to ensure that everyone agrees it is within the rule of law;

3) If (i) and (ii) cease to be of effect throughout the life of the Act then the Withdrawal Act is void and of nil effect, with the result of the UK immediately re-joining the European Union.

Democracy really should be that simple.

So we need your help. I am aware of some of the appalling language that has been leveled at Jo in the past. I myself have been called an ‘interfering arsebag’ who really should stick to the law. But it really is time to restore civility to our debate. And until that cretinous, traitorous, vile, ignorant, racist, bovine prime minister of ours stops Brexit once and for all, I will not be silenced.

I will receive absolutely none of the money made by this crowd-fund. Yes, I will receive extensive work referrals from the lawyers I instruct to run the case. Yes, it is an enormous publicity springboard for me, which is why it is so infuriating that no BBC political shows has so far invited me on. But I personally will receive nothing. Nil. Nada.

So give whatever you can afford. For those of you who actually like spiked, I assume that may not be very much at all. But if any enlightened (and wealthy) people have stumbled across this by accident, then please dig deep. Think of what actually leaving the EU will do to your children’s futures. They may never – and I shudder as I write this – get to interrail through Italy’s wine region. The stakes really are that high.

Our message cannot be ignored. Parliament needs a say. But it also needs to be stopped from having a say. It can have a say, but when the time is right to have a say. That’s all we’re saying.

And to the unnamed pop star I mentioned earlier – if you’re reading this, let’s just say I want you ‘Back for Good’. I can go to £1,150, but that really is final. Anything less and I won’t be able to rebuild my windmill.

As told to Luke Gittos.

Topics Brexit Politics UK

Comments

jane 4 brexit

19th October 2019 at 1:10 pm

Sorry first comment on here so somehow went before I intended:

David Cameron PMQs 15th June 2016:
“I am very happy to agree with my hon. Friend. “In” means we remain in a reformed EU; “out” means we come out. As the leave campaigners and others have said, “out” means out of the EU, out of the European single market, out of the Council of Ministers—out of all those things—and will then mean a process of delivering on it, which will take at least two years, and then delivering a trade deal, which could take as many as seven years. To anyone still in doubt—there are even Members in the House still thinking about how to vote—I would say: if you have not made up your mind yet, if you are still uncertain, just think about that decade…”

Conrad Mason

18th October 2019 at 8:43 pm

There was no mention of deals on the referendum ballot paper it was as far as I could tell a straightforward democratic in/out vote. Subsequently, as they always do, parliamentarians got their filthy grubby perverted what’s in it for me paws on it and as with everything else, from the domesday book(1086) onward, fukt it right up… what’s new?

jane 4 brexit

19th October 2019 at 1:06 pm

Yes and all MPs the HoLs and we, the British people, were told that we would leave the EU and only “then” begin discussing any deal see the last PMQs before the referendum Q14 36 minutes into link.
From their ignorance of this, with a few notable exceptions, it seems that MPs on the 15th June 2016 weren’t listening, just like now:

A Game

18th October 2019 at 8:50 am

I’m loving the Hemsworth. One has to salute a stunning and brave truth-teller such as they. Or zee. Or mir.
Had to Bing search (yep, fighting the power, lol) the popsong. Riiight. Heavy weight, I see.

The suggestions for enforcing a true democracy seem watertight. Can’t argue with common sense. The Saint… man of the people.

jessica christon

17th October 2019 at 10:12 pm

I voted leave but if we can’t leave with a real Brexit and a FTD (wtf was wrong with Canada ++ as we were offered in the early days?) then I’d rather remain than be trapped in Boris’ Vassalage Treaty. We will be bound and gagged while the EU continues to humiliate and punish us pour encourager les autres.

These kind of articles miss the point as far as I’m concerned. This is “We get the politicians we deserve” in action, because after the referendum it was CRUCIAL to return a Brexit majority Parliament in the GE; the invention of the terms “hard brexit” and “soft brexit” almost as soon as leave won should have been good enough heads up that these parties in parliament were already looking at ways to not give us a REAL Brexit, regardless of whatever mealy mouthed promises they made about “respecting” the result.

The only choice we had in the 2017 GE was very obviously UKIP or a UKIP/Tory coalition with Tory as the junior partner. I voted UKIP for the first time in my life, but the numbers tell me that most Brexit supporters voted for a Conservative or Labour MP, allowed UKIP – the only genuine party of Brexit at the time – to be destroyed, and then went back to sleep.

Maybe that’s the real reason why so many remainers think we’re stupid, because at least the woke understand that you have to follow things through. And then the ERG turned out to be useless paper tigers; Rees-Mogg has folded *again* and now the remainer Parliament is the best chance of saving us from Boris’ Vassalage Treaty, and I’m backing them to do this because if they’re anything, they’re effective.

Conrad Mason

18th October 2019 at 8:45 pm

And you’re effectively throwing in the towel. Well done.

A Game

19th October 2019 at 4:14 am

J Christon:
Time hasn’t been kind to why you didn’t get the Canada style trade deal. May, led by Hang-’em-High Hammond, were in hot pursuit of BRINO. To have sensibly gone hard at the start for something sensible and beneficial to the UK would have meant they would achieve their worst nightmare: Leaving.

The solemnity of the promises of the 2017 election is what duped people, I think. Across both parties, a totality. I think people had faith that so many people couldn’t be such big liars. Surely not. Like, just not possible, they’ll never be voted for again… right? And now its all about the twists and turns to do what they are doing… and still get re-elected. Oh, how I hope the Brits get their collective sh*t together and target the Remainers who lied and make sure they are booted, whether they vote for the Surrender Treaty or not. Every vote taken in parliament on the record in their electorates… and the money their sabotage cost the UK – not just the billion a month but the cost of aborted exiting plans, court cases… the lot. Every single one of them that called for another referendum, and still do, especially in the last month… more time, more money, more dogmatic resistance to reality… Who voted for the Surrender Act… impeding their government’s ability to have any power to negotiate with proven Sharks. Taking their jobs away from them is the most glorious revenge. ‘Cause how they love those jobs. Unskilled, kind of useless middlings, who love a spot of attention, and get to be VIPs and “successful”, without actually achieving much as people at all. (Exceptions, obviously, but boy, are they in the minority.)
UKIP fell, but tellingly, so did the Pollards. (That would be the Lib Dems for anyone who lives in a bubble.)
People obviously expected Brexit to be delivered and then back to traditional governing and politics. A reflex to return to security and certainty after the scaremongering of the referendum campaign? Terrorist acts committed in the interim, undermining security in a different way?

I think you are spot on in not paying attention to the language of Remainers, not paying attention to the feverish calls for a second referendum, the court cases to overturn the result, the protests… Who it was doing the above, perhaps the desensitisation to the slurs hurled – when the militant wing of the neo liberal project call people fascists, you know they are all dosed up on entitlement to do what they think is best, as opposed to what is actually right.
But for that moment, when May slipped through on a divided Tory Leadership vote, split by Boris and The Gove for Leave… everything might have been very different.
Perfect Storm.

I disagree with C Mason. Its not throwing in the towel. Its taking on board the knowledge of the EU, how they work, what they are about, all revealed over the last 3 years… and knowing they will not let the 2 years of withdrawal, still in their clutches, go un-exploited. They are literally free to introduce anything in the next 2 years that will stymy the UK, which the UK will be helpless to halt.
Therefore, this is why Brexiteers are hoping its voted down. Better than the final commitment to vassalage, which may never end. (EU are determined that the UK be bound by their own rules… that’s right, to “level the playing field”. )
The Foreign policy side is scary. UK wants to support the Kurds. EU wants to support Turkey. The UK may NOT follow through on their political will. Contributing to EU defence projects… and what would they be? What if you are passionately opposed to what they want to do? You are no longer a member… but you are bound to contribute… this stuff isn’t Brexit. And of course, the successful siphoning off of NI… The DUP are right to be pissed.
So… from across oceans of time, along with Brexiteers, I hope its voted down… and then Boris can deliver on is do or die promise. That has been the basis of the groundswell of support for him. Not to redeliver May’s deal. To do that, utterly defeats the purpose of getting rid of May and all the showboating about ditches. Completely. Yes, he has been hindered by the Surrender Bill and minority government… but he kept talking the talk. Time for him to walk the walk…
Knowing these nuances isn’t throwing in the towel.

Jane 70

17th October 2019 at 9:12 pm

Is Lexington Hemsworth related to Titania McGrath?

Andrew Leonard

18th October 2019 at 1:26 am

Jane, the entire ruling class is produced by inbreeding

John Hamilton

17th October 2019 at 7:59 pm

>I hope it is voted against on Saturday and we leave on the 31st with ‘no deal’ as we voted for.<

Not realistic. The Benn Act forces Johnson to ask for an extension if Parliament doesn't agree a deal, and the EU will likely agree to such a request – not because they are a conspiracy to keep the UK in the EU, as the retard Brexit blob like to think, but because they want it to be clearly the UK's decision to walk away. 17.4 million people did not vote for a no-deal Brexit. I hope Parliament approves the deal. If Farage thinks it's unacceptable, let him and his party fight a general election on a platform of the UK ripping up the treaty and crashing out. See if people really want a jobs-destroying, industry-destroying ultra-hard Brexit.

18th October 2019 at 11:50 am

What “did not vote for”?
Ultra hard Brexit?

17th October 2019 at 7:27 pm

Farage has said that Boris’s deal is the second worst after May’s.