Let Jo Cox rest in peace, you ghouls

Remainers’ exploitation of Cox’s murder is a new low in British politics.

Brendan O'Neill

Brendan O'Neill
Editor

Topics Brexit Politics UK

A new low was reached in British politics last night. Remainer MPs and their online cheerleaders exploited the murder of Labour MP Jo Cox to try to silence their critics and demonise Brexit.

These ghouls stood up in the Commons and physically pointed to Cox’s plaque as they denounced Boris for using allegedly dangerous words like ‘surrender’ and ‘betrayal’. And they took to Twitter and TV to insist that if Brexiteers, especially the PM, do not tone down their rhetoric, then others will die too; others will be murdered like Jo was. It was one of the most cynical, censorious, ghoulish displays in the UK political realm in recent memory. Using a murder victim as a debate-ender? Shame on you.

It kicked off when Labour MP Paula Sherriff accused Boris Johnson of using heated language. He has a tendency to refer to the Benn Act – which makes another extension of our EU membership far more likely – as the ‘surrender act’. And that is ‘offensive, dangerous and inflammatory’, said Sherriff. She said it was an insult to ‘our departed friend’ – Jo Cox – to use ‘pejorative’ language about legislation passed by MPs and to use words like ‘betrayal’ or ‘traitor’ in relation to those who would block Brexit and keep us in the EU.

Boris should be ‘absolutely ashamed’ of himself, she said. To which Boris replied – with admirable constraint, in my view, considering he had just been outrageously likened to the far-right lunatic who murdered Jo Cox – that Sherriff was talking ‘humbug’.

She was. All of them were. From Jess Phillips to Yvette Cooper, from the Guardian to the Twitterati, all the usual suspects joined in the ghoulish marshalling of Jo Cox to the low and censorious end of stifling strong discussion about Brexit.

Phillips suggested that some of the death threats she receives are inspired by Boris’s choice of language in debates about Brexit. One reporter said political party activists have been telling her they are ‘terrified of an election’ because Boris and other Brexiteers have made things so ‘toxic’. In short, the masses are volatile, the throng has been whipped up, and it would be dangerous for any political party to venture into this rabble and start a political campaign. And so do we glimpse the searingly anti-democratic impulse behind the desire to control and stifle the language around Brexit.

Anyone who watched proceedings in parliament last night and thought that it was Boris who was behaving immorally was clearly not paying attention. What is truly immoral is the use and abuse of Jo Cox to silence strong debate and demonise something that 17.4million of us voted for: Brexit.

This isn’t the first time Remainer elitists have exploited Cox to try to criminalise the Brexit ideal. Commentators have argued that the ‘unbridled xenophobia and racism’ of the Brexit campaign in 2016 – where was that, then? – created the conditions for Cox’s murder. Times columnist David Aaronovitch said Brexiteers had been ‘permissive of the motive’ and ‘even of the mood’ that led a far-right loner to murder Cox. That’s a fancy way of saying it was our fault. I myself have had MPs storm out of media debates (Anna Soubry) or denounce me as a ‘horrible human being’ (Jess Phillips) after I suggested that implicating Brexit itself in Jo Cox’s murder, and using Jo Cox to silence critical debate, is an offence to her memory and to reasoned public debate.

It increasingly feels like sections of the political class are losing the plot. We now have a situation in which they are betraying Brexit while also raining fury upon anyone who says the word ‘betrayal’. They are behaving like traitors to the democratic vote of 2016 that they promised to uphold, and yet they rage against any use of the word ‘traitor’. Not content with frustrating the will of the people, they now want to control what the people can say about it all. Anti-democracy and censorship – what a rotten road they have gone down.

Then there’s the hypocrisy. They call us fascists, Nazis, racists, extremists, idiots, etc etc. They use pejorative language about Brexit supporters all the time. In then turning around and saying ‘How dare you call us traitors!’, they expose their shameless hypocrisy. Of course, they should feel free to continue insulting Brexiteers. Public debate should be a free, unfettered and testy zone. People should say what they want. But please, for reason’s sake, leave Jo Cox out of it.

Brendan O’Neill is editor of spiked and host of the spiked podcast, The Brendan O’Neill Show. Subscribe to the podcast here. And find Brendan on Instagram: @burntoakboy

Picture by: Getty images.

Topics Brexit Politics UK

Comments

Amelia Cantor

1st October 2019 at 11:17 am

Remainers’ exploitation of Cox’s murder is a new low in British politics.

If this were true, Jo’s family, devoted husband and still-grieving friends would have condemned the “exploiters”.

They haven’t.

Comrade-Commentator Brendan registers yet another epic failure of elementary logic and simple common sense. Rightards gotta rightard.

1st October 2019 at 1:05 pm

A Cantor
Jo Cox’s husband used her death the very next day to attack ‘leave’. What an utterly disgusting man he is … oh and a groper by all accounts.

Amelia Cantor

3rd October 2019 at 10:56 am

You have not addressed the core logic of my post. If what Comrade-Commentator Brendan said were true, Jo’s family and friends would have supported the Bullingdon Buffoon and condemned the Remain community.

They didn’t.

As for Jo’s devoted husband: He is a cis white male, so we cannot expect him to match Jo’s standards of ethical excellence. And even if he were as appalling a person as the Bullingdon Buffoon (which was possible, given their shared cis white maleness), he is only one of the many people who were close to Jo and who have utterly failed to condemn “exploitation” of her name in the Remain cause.

Amelia Cantor 2 Rightards 0.

Marvin Jones

29th September 2019 at 2:09 pm

The sentimentality of these asinine sobbing fools really do astound me. The sad tragedy of Jo Cox was the act of an extremely sick far right loony, who unfortunately do exist in our society, many let out by the biggest imbeciles and flawed and phoney parole boards, instructed and ordered by this gutless government to release these sub humans and to hell with the death and destruction they will cause to the innocent people at risk. There are many inept and idiotic MPs who would be more suitable in social services instead of filling their purses in a kitchen that is too hot for them.

A Game

28th September 2019 at 7:35 am

Its a perfect title. I watched all three hours of Boris’s PQT.
I think Ms Cox was alluded to the first time, then the next one got braver, said her name (which I think is always right. She should never be nameless), and then the snowball was really rolling. Person after person. I get the impression that people have just seen the Sherriff’s efforts, thus, missing the timing of her rant. It came after many had already brought up Jo Cox. It made it just that bit more tasteless.

I realised what I was watching. The exhumation of Jo Cox. And it was…treacherous. Especially as they were doing it whilst claiming her as their friend and peer. It didn’t increase their right to do so, it made what they were doing that bit more profane.

I think everyone knows exactly what political capital they thought they were cashing in on.
What I found most interesting afterwards was the Sky coverage and ticker.
MPs in tears. Not at the time. In fact, they were looking at their phones, they were doing that “post performance” reverie (replaying their moment in their heads), they were as they had been before Sherriff spoke. The tears came when they realised they hadn’t milked it quite right.
The ticker was running… I can’t remember if later that night or the next day (I’m 9 hours ahead, it gets a little time warpy) and it said her widower “felt a bit sick” over BJ’s comments. I thought, hang on, dislike his reaction, but it wasn’t him directly commenting on your wife’s murder.
Then I read an article. It showed the screen shots of his tweets.
He felt sick at the repeated use of his wife’s murder, repeated use of her name, as a reason to censor debate. He very pointedly said BOTH sides should keep perspective, and that Jo would hate her name being used to shut debate down.
Her sister had then been interviewed and said pretty much the same thing. That she had been watching parliament and then her sister’s name being said, over and over. (You imagine how awful that would have been? Three years later, you’ve eased back into a semblance of normalcy and that is what you were met with.)
But the savagery, the punitive, reckless savagery of those people thought her family were talking about Boris, not them… and proceeded to do it all over again. Proof that they are ghouls.
That they have luxuriated in the attention given to them, especially Sherriff, the validation, the prominence… is then another insult to Jo Cox and her family. Mission accomplished, right?
The media’s collusion was reprehensible.
The following day, that quiet, gentlemanly Tory MP (and he’s spoken before, I know that’s his usual demeanour, not that revolting Pollyanna act trotted out – so saccharine, even the blonded Sky reporter… Scott someone?, used it for hours. Ugh.) suggested that a consensus be agreed upon that Jo Cox doesn’t be used in such a way, anymore, for her family’s sake. He got howled down. What an awful man he is. Yet Jo Cox’s sister had put on the record that she’d been watching the session. Nope. Nothing was going to take this opportunity from them.
If I was Jo Cox’s family, I would shun them forevermore, as ghouls.

The memory of Jo Cox deserves much better friends than these.

A Game

28th September 2019 at 8:06 am

One of my problems with what they did was to highlight a very real problem for women in public life, but pretending it was Brexit-centric.
You can see by comments, its made people double down on their right to hurl worse abuse and threats at women than at men. And that is a great shame, because away from Brexit, they suffer these types of attacks and after Brexit they will. People cannot separate their hideous character’s from their biological sex.

I see their actions have also brought out the conspiracists. C’mon. Really? Be better.

Jo Cox’s murder was broadcast to Australia. But being OS, we didn’t continue to get the same level of coverage. So when I became addicted to Brexit on the Monday morning of the Chequers freak show (I thought, WTF is going on? In lock down, can’t escape unless they walked, forced to sign papers etc etc.) and upped my investment in following it, so I looked up to find the details I’d missed regarding her murder.
In reading about the POS who did it, what he was like, who he was, what he was about, I thought, No, this type is good for doing this very thing anyway. He used Brexit as his excuse.
That he chose a young, attractive woman, that he used a knife even though he had a rifle (yeah, knives get used by certain men for very deliberate reasons) and that it risked sabotaging Brexit, rather than enhancing it.
He was good for murdering a woman, eventually. They usually, if they can’t find a political excuse, settle on prostitutes – they are an easy target. Brexit was used by this POS to decide he’d aim higher. If there was an ounce of truth in his reasoning, he would have targeted Cameron, or someone of that level. The face of Remain.
But to kill a man wouldn’t have been as “fun”.
Leave voters should stop feeling they have to trivialise or minimise what he did to protect the cause. You do and its vile.
Likewise, Remainers should never use it to shut down opposing views or to elevate their own actions or cause.
If her husband said something the following day… He gets a free pass. His wife has just been slain by some narcissistic, malcontented, limp, pointless POS.

This type of person who does this sort of thing, exists. There is no inflaming them, provoking them, inciting them. They are always good for this type of crime.
The NZ mosque POS. You read anything about him, he was good for this. He just needed time to work up a justification. His “manifesto”, what I’ve read of it, and I don’t make a point of it, its rambling nonsense. Its never going to make sense because they are just looking for the means to justify the end. Historically, they killed their families or took it to the workplace. But the added element of fame/notoriety means it needs to have a little bit more weight.
The regressive left’s take, of course, in shutting down dissent or disagreement will never effect these types. Its already in them. Its just a matter of time and they will latch onto whatever excuse they like.

People also need to stop hating on Jo Cox because of other’s actions. You are no different from the ghouls in parliament.
Her death is no different from Lee Rigby’s. Oblivious, trusting and attacked without a moment’s chance of defending themselves. Its one of the most cowardly forms of murder.

28th September 2019 at 10:53 am

A Game
I was thinking about this article title last night and was going to post on it this morning, however you beat me to it. As you so rightly say it is the perfect title !

Robert Spowart

30th September 2019 at 9:01 pm

I did pick up on a comment that the flood of anguish in response to Boris’s comments may have been in response to a text message advising the MPs in the chamber to raise Jo Cox’s murder as a way of shutting Boris up.

27th September 2019 at 5:31 pm

I don’t like you Oven-Kraut.

27th September 2019 at 6:04 pm

You’ve got a big mouth.

27th September 2019 at 2:16 pm

The news banner on Sky News last night that was making a big issue of some drug addled bloke tapping on a window shouting fascist wasn’t enough for Sky , they had to interview the odious ‘suicide jester’ Phillips who in her faux weepy and angry outrage ( interchangeable at the click of a thumb ) said she didn’t blame Boris for this. How utterly decent of her, should Boris curtsy in recognition of Phillips selfless and grandiose gesture ?

27th September 2019 at 4:36 pm

Thanks for letting you be my bitch, l guess.

27th September 2019 at 4:42 pm

Jerry Oven-Kraut.

Hey Babydoll, let me look in your eyes

27th September 2019 at 5:09 pm

Jerry Oven-Kraut

You’re gutless, so good luck trying to shut me up.

27th September 2019 at 5:13 pm

I never trusted you, Babydoll.

Burn Black.

27th September 2019 at 5:22 pm

You probably know me better as ….AnnaBortion.

27th September 2019 at 5:28 pm

Haven’t l already told you that phuckwit city is the where you belong?

( The Guardian, for any newbies….)

27th September 2019 at 5:33 pm

27th September 2019 at 5:36 pm

I’m a Riot AND an Outlaw, Oven-cretin.

Haahahha

27th September 2019 at 5:53 pm

Hey Babydoll. What do you think other people make of you letting me make you my babydoll?

27th September 2019 at 5:59 pm

This is just me having fun at your expense, babydoll.

I’ve come to realise that you don’t give account of yourself because everything l say about you is right. The same applies to Peeved Gobbett’s. We all know you’re watching, Peeved Gobbett’s , because you already told us..lol)

27th September 2019 at 6:13 pm

I know how to break the hearts of oven-bitch’s like you, babydoll. And l know how much you hate these vids on the site, anyway. Is that because of the possibility of this situation?

You’re gutless, babydoll.

27th September 2019 at 6:25 pm

Jerry Oven-Kraut.

You remind me of my grandmother. Why don’t you phark off before you end up in a worse situation than Queefer Moreswill.

A Game

28th September 2019 at 6:40 am

Doesn’t blame Boris? Not anymore. She’s began her reformation to being re elected. Plan A has gone awry… time for Plan B. The voice of compromise and reason. If it wasn’t for her electorate calling her a traitor, the country calling her out for her hideous parliamentary performances, she would happily still be doing it. Self preservation will allow no path to remain untrodden.
Cunning as a shit house rat.

Colin Campbell

27th September 2019 at 12:48 am

Obviously a planned approach by the loons & might i guess from all remain groups inc the SNP.

It was so good to see IDS defending Boris on ch4 news as the bias interviewer ‘tried’ to press the remain rhetoric produced by the Labour yesterday, can we see more Pro Brexit MPs defend him please & more condemning the idiotic loons & expose their hysterical pantomime freak show.

People only need to do as IDS did & quote intimidation of other MPs by the loon activists, inc Esther Mcvey !

The poison displayed by the left over the years has been both Brutal & Pathetic, those in Glass Houses !!!

michael savell

26th September 2019 at 11:49 pm

I suggest that Boris is being deliberately provocative trying to get members to utter the magic words”no confidence”,hence a GE early enough for him

I suggest that Boris is being deliberately provocative to inflame the opposition into a vote of “no confidence”and then perhaps,if protocol is broken even a GE,either way the opposition would lose.

A Game

28th September 2019 at 6:47 am

No, what Boris is doing is refusing to be pulled into this tired game. He is refusing to play. And that is what is enraging them. This tactic has been a winner for years. Its all they know. And suddenly someone (and look at the flak he’s getting for it) has resisted and said, “F**k that”. I’m not letting my agenda be sidelined and sabotaged with this speech policing.
Turns out they don’t have any other cards to play.

Michael Lynch

26th September 2019 at 11:23 pm

I’m half expecting the Opposition to bring in an effigy of Jo Cox into the Commons tomorrow. All will be in black, all carrying candles and chanting her name. It is truly sickening to watch them make a Brexit martyr out of this poor women. Trying to blame Boris and 17.4 million people for her death is stooping to depths I never thought possible.

Jane 70

26th September 2019 at 11:33 pm

Another candidate for secular canonisation, along with Hale and Miller.

Thomas Swift

27th September 2019 at 9:56 pm

Michael Lynch, funny you should say that because I imagined that they might dig up her corpse, Madagascar-style, and go marching around Westminster with it.

Dustman Hoffman

28th September 2019 at 9:21 am

Where’s she buried? Let me know when you find out [you won’t] That’s why Paula Sherriff describes her as her “departed friend”.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

26th September 2019 at 10:41 pm

Spiked purports to be an organ of free speech but all I see here is article after article written by attention-seeking, right wing contrarian nutjobs. Where is the balance? Opinion-driven websites such as this are helping to destroy democracy in the UK.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

26th September 2019 at 10:43 pm

It appears that my comment is ‘awaiting moderation’. I’m sorry, I was under the impression that this was a forum for free speech. Perhaps I was mistaken.

28th September 2019 at 2:29 pm

Yes you are mistaken … About everything it seems !

TOM THIRSK

26th September 2019 at 10:35 pm

Do not pass go. Do not collect 200. Straight to prison. Unless you have the Jo Cox card

Christopher Tyson

26th September 2019 at 10:01 pm

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream – and not make dreams your master;
If you can think – and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
‘ Or walk with Kings – nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And – which is more – you’ll be a Man, my son!

Michael Lynch

26th September 2019 at 11:28 pm

Always loved Kipling and I’m from an Irish background! That poem has inspired me got me through some tough times.

Colin Campbell

27th September 2019 at 1:17 am

Yes he was a great man indeed.

Iam off Irish Diaspora also, On my mothers side Co Sligo but i was born here & i meet people all the time now who are of a similar mind set where we appreciate tge land that Educated us, Gave us Health backing, Decent Housing & Employament.

I think the chip on the shoulder ‘UK Hating’ mindset from 2nd 3rd generation Irish is seen today as out of date but is this a problem we have with the left today, are these age old romanticised causes too frequently used by them ? which in turn creates an under current of hatred which spews out in HOC situations like yesterday?

For me its not about where our great great great granny came from its about the country i was born & live today, i cant see the country coming back into normal political ways untill this extreme division & hate is removed or atleast reach some sort of common ground, at the end of the day if you live here & benefit from UK everyone must surely atleast respect this land & its people something i honestly dont think the left today do, we must all work to make this country work, even the left !.

Michael Lynch

26th September 2019 at 8:26 pm

It might be stating the obvious, but this is exactly what Boris wants. The more obdurate he becomes the more hysterical they become. They are gagging on their hypocrisy in full public view. I’ve just heard that someone has been arrested for tapping on the window of Jess Phillips Constituency office and shouting fascist. More suppression of free speech which won’t play well for her at the ballot box.

26th September 2019 at 7:58 pm

I am watching MPs with the sound down. I can see red faces and finger jabbing. I always said they had gone ultrasonic with Brexit Derangement Syndrome. It will be fun poking fun of these surrender monkeys just to watch them burst another blood vessel.

Jonathan Yonge

26th September 2019 at 5:52 pm

OK deep breath:
Jo Cox’s murder was a desperate tragedy.

But…. being dead unfortunately does not mean that everything you stood for was right.
It also means that nobody can speak on your behalf, because they cannot consult you.
We know that Jo Cox was a democrat, otherwise she would not have been an MP.
Therefore she would not have ignored the referendum vote of her constituents (60% leave).
To suggest otherwise is to denigrate her, her work and what she stood for .

Eric Praline

26th September 2019 at 7:11 pm

That hasn’t stopped other MPs.

Puddy Cat

26th September 2019 at 4:27 pm

The tactics of the Parliamentary Labour Party are aimed at distracting from their pitiful performance under Jeremy. The panicking in their ranks is palpable. They have now even started to introduce the old level of voting inducements that use to work on the working class. They have gone against the wishes of their own electorate, their own vote, totally against Benn and therefore the underlying substance of that man through his acolyte Mr Corbyn, which at one time was his substance, his legitimacy (is there nothing that he will not deny or refute in his crazy mania of an opposition?)

As soon as Gina Miller has posted her manifesto and told us how many candidates she is going to raise we will have a clearer picture as to what her ambitions really are. Having just pulled off the biggest heist in history and been warmly congratulated for it by the judiciary we now need to know if she was all along a party of one or if her conjectures and a reflections have some sort of unanimity. If money is that powerful then we may be promoting our own Donald Trump manifestation; if money is all that is needed to have your way in our politics why not?

A fascinating time and an unforeseeable change in the social/political outlook of the classes. While Labour is promising redistribution and a palette of give-away’s to attract the working class, whom they obviously regard as having no ambition (Brian Clough is asked what he would like for dinner and says steak. The waiter asks, and what about the vegetables? Clough looks at his team about the table, says, “they will have stake too!”) This was the view of Labour about its vote. Scotland rebelled against their once masters (only to run into the same sort of thing spoken with a Scottish accent). Those ‘vegetables’ actually want opportunity and not freebies that do not offer hope, imprison them, hand-outs and captivity. Labour are stuck onto jealousy rather than ambition and this is their undoing and the basis of their awful misreading.

steve moxon

26th September 2019 at 3:47 pm

Paula Sherriff is a thick, bigotted man-hating ‘identity-politics’ fascist who full knows she is about to lose her Leave-voting seat, and is letting rip while she still can.
If she gets any more apoplectic she might get even more enormous than she already is and explode, taking a few other Liebore zombies with her.

Hugo van der Meer

26th September 2019 at 4:17 pm

A recent email to Dominic Grief(sic) and beneath it, his reply…

Dear Tory Remainer (traitor),

The country needs Boris Johnson to be a successful Prime Minister for a successful future, which means that he has the right to expect loyalty from every Conservative at this most critical time in our nation’s history.

You were elected because of your pledge to honour the referendum result, which you have attempted to sabotage at every opportunity with your treachery in Parliament.

By your actions you have demonstrated that loyalty to the Prime Minister is not your primary concern, and by extension, the successful future of the country is, by definition, not your primary concern.

Resign now, make way for others who sincerely care about the country’s future.

I eagerly await your reply.

Yours sincerely

The reply,

Dear Sir or Madam

I am in receipt of your communication to which I note you seek a reply.

The first principle of communicating with a fellow human being is courtesy. Your communication deliberately sets out not to meet that criteria.

Your faithfully

Dominic Grieve

Rt Hon Dominic Grieve QC MP

House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA

Tel: 020 7219 6220

Eric Praline

26th September 2019 at 7:10 pm

I think calling him a traitor in the first line probably didn’t help.

Michael Lynch

26th September 2019 at 8:09 pm

Grieve seems to be more isolated by the minute. Even Rory seemed to edging away from him in the house yesterday. Notice how Hammond and Letwin have remained tight lipped for the past few weeks. Both watching to see which way the wind blows whilst pulling Grieve’s strings. Now we know who was manipulating May all along.

27th September 2019 at 4:58 pm

Hugo
Possibly he expected you to refer to him as the ‘Right Honourable’… traitor !

Steve Roberts

26th September 2019 at 3:12 pm

It has become more obvious by the day since the referendum result that the established order will stop at nothing to thwart our democratic instruction, they are gleefully showing us this themselves, such is their arrogance. They now seem to have entirely lost any resemblance of a moral compass, dead or alive they have no problem using anyone or any situation to achieve their authoritarianism. Can they sink any lower ? Well i think that is the real concern here, it is increasingly the case that there are no boundaries, no limits to the moral and political depths these people will sink to. This should worry us all greatly, these are dangerous times we are entering, with irrational , reactionary people in power and hanging on to it at any cost.

Eric Praline

26th September 2019 at 3:21 pm

I think that’s right, but the dangerous thing is that they are convinced (I think) that they are in the right and that is an even more dangerous thing because whatever they do or say must by definition be justified.

27th September 2019 at 4:49 pm

Hi Peeved Gobbett’s. You’ve alresdy told us you’ll read this, so does that mean you’ll ever be able to be onhand to refute any of your horseshit?

Eric Praline

26th September 2019 at 2:42 pm

Spot on.

I see now that the “Mother of the House” (since when is that a thing?) is discussing with the police how to control language in the house. Business as usual.

TOM THIRSK

26th September 2019 at 10:41 pm

This is why the supreme court got them back… So they could talk about themselves. Important business of the day.

Robert Spowart

26th September 2019 at 2:04 pm

Paula Sheriff and her ilk should realise that whatever abuse, be it name calling or threats of violence and murder, are not engendered by the Prime Minister’s words, but by their own actions in destroying British Democracy by not only seeking to thwart the outcome of the Referendum, but by twisting and mangling Parliamentary procedure to prevent the possibility of a so-called “No Deal” departure from the EU, but ultimately prevent any chance of leaving the EU at all.

We need a General Election and we need one NOW!

harry briggs

26th September 2019 at 12:55 pm

Those female MP’s seriously let the feminist cause down last night, brought to tears from nasty words on Twitter or Facebook and attempting to blame Boris Johnson for it when it is their own refusal to honor the referendum at fault, things will get much more violent should they succeed.

Jane 70

26th September 2019 at 4:06 pm

Quite so; what is this emotional incontinence which now infects so many apparently rational well educated superior types?Especially the wimmin?
To see female MPs blubbering like this does my head in: yet another example of the infantile irrational hissy fits which pass for debate in the HOC.
If only this coven would realise that they forfeit any claim to solidarity or sympathy from the great British public.

Ed Turnbull

27th September 2019 at 9:47 am

Indeed. Whatever happened to “I am woman – hear me roar!”? Nowadays it’s more like “I am woman – watch me sob! (And if you don’t give me what I want I’ll sob some more)”. And these women claim to be feminists? The real feminists (Greer, Paglia et al) must be rolling their eyes and gnashing their teeth in exasperation.

But, I guess we must expect this when we live in a society that has elevated the ‘feelz’ over the ‘realz’.

Sandra Miller

26th September 2019 at 4:09 pm

That’s modern day feminism for you. I am a strong, capable tenacious woman when it suits me to be, say when advancing my cause for that job promotion and higher pay. However, you will be amazed at the speed with which I can quickly retreat to a vulnerable fragile woman when it is convenient or even advantageous for me to do so. When I receive abuse on twitter or social media its tens time worse for me than it is for you simply because of my sex. If we were MPs and our kids are threatened in the street or shouted at by a baying mob who oppose our respective political views, again its far worse for me as I am a mother and therefore feel the agony and despair that much more and outranks any suffering you may feel as a father.
The temptation to use my identity as a woman and weaponise it for those times where a male adversary of mine may be getting the better of me during a debate is far too powerful to resist. Like magic, all it takes is a few contortions of the face and the conjuring of teary eyes to stop you in your tracks (monster that you are) and stifle any reasonable debate.
It really is a perverse form of feminism indeed.

Tim Wheeler

26th September 2019 at 12:42 pm

To ‘Weaponise’ a random murder by a nutter in order to stifle public debate on a vital question is deeply cynical thing to do – but of a piece with the increasingly desperate & anti-democratic behaviour of those doing it.

Stephen J

26th September 2019 at 12:40 pm

Has anyone here seen the film by someone called Richard Hall?

I don’t know, but I would say from what one can see here that Mair has grounds for an appeal.

I am old enough to remember when everyone knew that the Guildford four and the Birmingham Six were guilty of the crimes that they had been tried for.

It wasn’t until many years later that, it became clear that they were all fitted up for political reasons.

Of course that couldn’t happen again…

Could it?

Robert Spowart

26th September 2019 at 5:53 pm

Damn! I just spent half an hour trying to find that and all I had to do was scroll down!

A very interesting exposition of his views which, whilst it does not QUITE convince, leaves a lot of lingering questions that ought to be answered.

Jane 70

26th September 2019 at 12:03 pm

Guido has a list of unseemly outbursts-see above. The worst offenders need no introduction. ‘Do as we say,not as we do’.

Jane 70

26th September 2019 at 12:07 pm

And poll results-see above. No surprises as to the public’s opinion on responsibility for the Brexit delay.

Jane 70

26th September 2019 at 12:09 pm

And a good one from Rod Liddle

-https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/there-is-only-one-law-there-must-be-no-brexit/

26th September 2019 at 2:41 pm

I wonder if the reported 64% of Labour votes who want an election see it as a way of ridding themselves of Corbyn, McDonnell and Lansmann.
Even after a crushing defeat, the glib and nouveau mass membership might vote them back in, so used are they to shouting and screaming their way to what they want.

Matt Ryan

26th September 2019 at 11:52 am

I see Brendan “Wandering Hands” Cox is publicising himself again by worrying about having to mention this to his children in case it is brought up.

At what point will he address with them the ‘mistakes he made at Save The Children? What did Jo think one wonders?

Jane 70

26th September 2019 at 12:01 pm

Did she know about his extra curricular activities ?

Matt Ryan

26th September 2019 at 12:05 pm

Perhaps like Bill and Hillary they kept up appearances so as to live large on the state (and 3 sector) teat. Like so many of the Left who love to virtue signal whilst raking in as much as they can without a honest days work.

Bella Donna

26th September 2019 at 11:49 am

Jo who?

A Game

28th September 2019 at 7:01 am

No. Donna, not so bella. Jo Cox. Labour MP who was slain in the street a week prior to the referendum vote.
I really don’t like it when people conflate her, the person and her murder with their dislike of how her murder is weaponised for political point scoring.
Its so grossly unfair.

a watson

26th September 2019 at 11:37 am

Well put Mr O’Nell.

Chris Peacock

26th September 2019 at 11:30 am

Self-entitled narcissists never take responsibility for their own toxic behaviour, and be honest, are any of us surprised anymore by their behaviour?

Also, they are not convincing anyone, it smacks of desperation, preparing the comfort blanket for when the electorate finally passes judgement on them, not with force, but in the ballot box.
All things considered Brexiters, on the whole, have been amazingly calm. imo

26th September 2019 at 11:19 am

I heard this on the radio in the form of Boris’s response. The accusation that elicited it was not reported.

Michael Lynch

26th September 2019 at 1:02 pm

Jim, I’ve been noticing this all morning on the Telly. Cutting off just when a response about the behavior of the opposition benches is about to delivered. The false piety and probity of opposition MPs is sickening to watch.

Jane 70

26th September 2019 at 10:30 am

“Be it ordained by the Lords and Commons assembled in Parliament, that all and every of the members of either House of Parliament shall be, and by authority of this Ordinance are discharged at the end of forty days after the passing of this Ordinance[1], of and from all and every office or command military or civil, granted or conferred by both or either of the said Houses of this present Parliament, or by any authority derived from both or either of them since the 20th day of November, 1640.”

Here is the famous self denying ordinance 0f 1640: I might be on shaky historical and constitutional ground here, but could we not make a case for the shambolic HOC to put itself under a contemporary version?

Lawyers for Britain might advise.

Yes it’s a fantastical notion, but these are desperate times, and we, the electorate, are the ones being stymied by parliament.

26th September 2019 at 12:22 pm

The judges might see that as a godsent opportunity to present themselves as not interfering.

Jane 70

26th September 2019 at 12:47 pm

We would need a Leave supporting version of the Remain Czarina, Gina Miller,to have any hope of success.
And now the Supremes have enlarged their sphere of influence, might this not be an opportunity for them to display their impartiality?
Just a pipe dream on my part, but the constitution now seems to be up for grabs.

26th September 2019 at 3:12 pm

Don’t lose heart Jane 70. They fear the secret ballot, and that is where it has to be settled.

Jane 70

26th September 2019 at 3:54 pm

I’m trying not to lose heart, veering between increasing disgust at the disgraceful scenes in the HOC and the pack’s persecution of the PM, and weary resignation.
You’re right: the ballot box is the way forward, but will we have to endure this limbo for much longer?

26th September 2019 at 7:16 pm

Jane 70 I would like to encourage the term “the secret ballot” and the use of a good old fashioned “mind yir ain bizniss/mind your own business” when someone asks us how we voted. I always say this now and point out that how I voted is irrelevant as the matter has now been decided.

Adam Linley

26th September 2019 at 10:08 am

Interesting political trend: Use human shields to portray your opponents as ‘the bad guys’ rather than make a convincing case. If you want to shut down debate on climate, hide behind a vulnerable sixteen year old. If you want to shut down debate on Brexit, pretend that the words ‘surrender bill’ incite people to kill MPs.

Richard Richardson

26th September 2019 at 10:02 am

Like others I came to Spiked this morning to read Brenden’s view of parliament. It’s the only political home that I feel that makes any moral sense anymore. I actually need to hear someone out there in the media is on my side, other than friends that agree. Even the BBC news website is headlining murdered Cox this morning, with a front page interview with her husband (something is rotten with main stream journalism). I was so pleased Boris went in for the attack, he read the public mood perfectly. To be fair, any hint of weakness would’ve have been a grave error, I’m sure his ratings grew again on the back of that. I’m currently taking a Facebook break, so I’ll comment here for a change. I’ll make another donation too, I need you guys to continue to confirm I’m on the right side of history.

Thomas Swift

26th September 2019 at 10:02 am

“…but his cultivated gaucheness simlpy divides us.” Oh so NOW you’re worried about divisions, as soon as you get a bit of pushback. You have cheated us out of votes, wrecked our democracy and our constitution and now you’re gibbering about us being “divided”. Newsflash: we are divided now. There is no “us”.

John Millson

26th September 2019 at 9:34 am

Of course body language and voice tone are missing but, from Hansard:

Paula Sherriff, MP, “I genuinely do not seek to stifle robust debate, but this evening the Prime Minister has continually used pejorative language to describe an Act of Parliament that was passed by this House. I am sure you would agree, Mr Speaker, that we should not resort to the use of offensive, dangerous or inflammatory language about legislation that we do not like.​

We stand here, Mr Speaker, under the shield of our departed friend. Many of us in this place are subject to death threats and abuse every single day. Let me tell the Prime Minister that they often quote his words—surrender Act, betrayal, traitor—and I, for one, am sick of it. We must moderate our language, and that has to come from the Prime Minister first, so I should be interested in hearing his opinion. He should be absolutely ashamed of himself. [Applause.]
The Prime Minister:
“I have to say that I have never heard such humbug in all my life. [Hon. Members: “ Shame!”] The reality is that this is a Bill—[Interruption.] This is a Bill—[Interruption.]

(Yeah, pretty sick of being considered a ‘traitor for voting remain in 2016.)

Johnson is the worst kind of person to be PM at this time. All great knock-about fun to wind up the ‘Trots’ for the benefit of his backbenchers, but his cultivated gaucheness simlpy divides us.

Neil McCaughan

26th September 2019 at 10:12 am

Remaintards are wholly responsible for any tension that exists. They should back down, and accept the democratic mandate, wouldn’t you agree?

John Millson

26th September 2019 at 10:33 am

I agree completely.
Obviously, with different leading protagonists the whole thing could have been different but it cannot be denied, too many remain-voters have not accepted the result and tried to make it work, i.e. put pressure on their MPs.
The EU must want rid now.

Michael Lynch

26th September 2019 at 11:11 am

Trot. Remainers are weaponizing the death of Jo Cox to stifle robust debate. In your mind I suppose it’s okay for Lammy to compare the ERG to Nazis because he is a Remainer. Is it also okay for Thornberry to compare the Lib Dems to ISIS because she is a left wing progressive? There is outrageous double standards from both sides of the house and it won’t stop until Remainers respect democracy. It’s that simple.

John Millson

26th September 2019 at 11:33 am

Lammy’s outburst was crass and offensive. Thornberry’s, likewise. So, in ‘my mind’ no, it’s not ‘okay’.
I am no longer a ‘remainer’ – I voted ‘remain’ in 2016. There is a distinction.
I respect democracy.
(Btw, Leon T. doesn’t turn me on – and he never did…)

26th September 2019 at 12:35 pm

Then tell us, how ought he have replied?

Do you think the accusation, hiding behind both Jo Cox, and the form of a question, was worthy of an MP?
Do you think The PM has to be censored in Parliament? Would you like the job?

John Millson

27th September 2019 at 8:29 am

It was tasteless and reckless to bring up Jo Cox but when potential assassins use ‘traitor’, ‘betrayal’ and the government use ‘betrayal’ & ‘surrender’ then sadly, things can go off in deranged peoples’ heads.
The Prime Minister should have displayed more political skill. Even Cameron’s ‘calm down dear’ would have been less outrageous. The man is a dangerous liability. He might kill off the Brexit Party but his crazed destruction mission, directed by Cummings really is chilling.
People need to wake up.

Michael Lynch

26th September 2019 at 12:39 pm

Tosh then! Hypocrisy is on both sides of the house. Boris did not bring up the murder of Jo Cox, Sheriff did in a clumsy attempt to stifle him. The discourse will not stop until the Remain Parliament accepts the democratic will of the people. It’s naive to even think it will. Until Brexit is solved then the massive divisions that exist cannot be healed.

Michael Lynch

27th September 2019 at 10:55 am

John, you are being disingenuous by placing the blame solely on how Boris responded. The bad blood started during the referendum debate and has continued on by both sides since. Calling people Nazis and stupid for merely voting Leave immediately after the result has only worsened the situation. Especially given that most people brought up in Britain passionately believe in their democratic rights; the fundamental view that those who loose a vote should fully endorse the result. The country is polarized, the worse I’ve ever seen in my life, and it will not heal unless both sides stop the toxic rhetoric. It certainly won’t stop if the democratic rights of 17.4 million people are swept aside so brusquely. I find it hard to believe in the victimization claimed by Remainer MPs. I’ve no doubt they face a barrage of abuse via online, both Leave and Remain do in equal measure, but there has been no mass rioting and no violence directed against them. Indeed, there has not even been a Leave Rally of any note over the last 3 years. I’m old enough to remember the Poll Tax riots and also remember how out of hand students became over the University Fees scandal. Now, if we were witnessing events like these then you could have some sympathy for their claims. If MPs don’t like being called Fascists why do some think it’s perfectly okay for them to do it? Not just against other MPs either as some have even projected these vile accusations against the public they claim to represent. Both sides are equally to blame for what is happening here. The political point scoring from both sides must stop, the screaming and shouting across the House must also stop.

A Game

28th September 2019 at 6:55 am

“…used pejorative language to describe an Act of Parliament that was passed by this House. I am sure you would agree, Mr Speaker, that we should not resort to the use of offensive, dangerous or inflammatory language about legislation that we do not like.​”

But its okay to do all of that against a referendum result, as voted on by the people, all cause you didn’t like it.
You quote her like there was a grain of truth in the position she was holding.
And then add the bared teeth, twisted face, jabbing finger, neck out, on the attack, hysterical tone.
And then the timing of it. What had preceded her self indulgence.

Giuseppe Spadone

26th September 2019 at 9:24 am

I was waiting for your article, to see if you would pick up on it. I was also astonished and shocked that they would refer to this poor woman, why they would bring her in? Great article.

Thomas Swift

26th September 2019 at 9:23 am

Are we starting to understand now? There is no lie they won’t tell, no rule they won’t break, no grave they won’t plunder, no line they won’t cross and no opportunity they won’t manipulate and exploit. There are no rules for them and, so, there are no rules. None for us either.

Steve Gray

26th September 2019 at 11:10 am

Thomas,

Salvatore Balbones recently gave an account of how unthinking obedience to ‘good rules’, on human rights, say, leads to a new kind of authoritarianism – that of The Well-Meaning Expert Whose Word Is Law. (On liberal authoritarianism’, 12th April 2019 : https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/04/12/liberal-authoritarianism-salvatore-babones/)

So it seems that strictly-enforced moral rules are favoured by the kind of not-actually-very–liberal who sets out to defend freedom by creating a welter of repressive new legislation….

If rules are out, what is the alternative ? A clue is given by Phil Mullan, who recently wrote that :

‘Political elites no longer promote alternative visions for the future. This doesn’t only represent a loss of imagination – it also reveals an unfortunate loss of belief in the capacity of people, and their free democratic nations, to act responsibly. Having given up on political deliberation, rule-following has become a substitute for prudence and for new thinking. ‘

(‘Globalism : a world in chains’ , 15th March, 2019. https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/03/15/globalism-a-world-in-chains/ )

So it seems we’ve got people not being allowed to think for themselves because they aren’t considered able to do so, by an elite which has serious doubts about its ability to project itself into the future and wants to put civilisation into a kind of freeze-frame, where nobody dares find out what’s going to happen next because it is bound to be something very nasty.

So much for my version of events – since we’re in the business of thinking for ourselves here, I’ll leave it to you to draw your own conclusions about it all.

Pedro Dias

26th September 2019 at 9:22 am

It is amazing how reality can be distorted by this far right establishment. Trying to turn reality other way around? Jo Cox was MURDERED by someone of the FAR RIGHT, simply because she was fighting for her own beliefs – STAYING IN THE EU. How come Boring Johnson can say the best thing to do in her memory is to leave the EU? Completely contrary of her beliefs.

Neil McCaughan

26th September 2019 at 10:14 am

Cheap sensationalism, based on pure invention.

H McLean

26th September 2019 at 10:32 am

Yes, Pedro, and the murderer was roundly condemned by everyone. Your argument is akin to saying everyone on the left should shut it and do what they’re told because some bloke called Joe in Communist Russia thought it would be easier to wipe out Ukraine in the 1930s. It’s a ridiculous argument, just like your cheap, bovine comment.

26th September 2019 at 11:03 am

Labour assume they can say what they want, unchallenged, and are unused to someone who can think on their feet and lay bare their cynicism.

Boris has the right to reply and to defend himself against such a cheap shot. He did so by declaring that implementing the result of the Referendum as the way to honour Jo Cox, the democrat. Remain always react badly to the simple fact that they lost. It will always turn on that.

I’ll give you an example of how Remain and the left formulate and theorise, but do not think or test.
I was in an SNP Celtic pub last night. (Aye, there be such a thing in Scotland). I was listening to a guy banging on about Scotland voting remain, and far short of a majority of the total British electorate voted leave – 37%.
I pointed out that on that basis, Scotland did not vote to remain, because only 42% of the total Scottish electorate had voted to remain, and 34% of England had voted Remain. The response was “You think you’re clever don’t you, you fuckіng Tory bаstard, you’re probably a fuckіng hun(Rangers supporter). You shouldn’t be in this fuckіng pub!”

Jane 70

26th September 2019 at 3:59 pm

O the joys of Scottish discourse; a Nat displaying his mastery of reasoned argument.
One million of us voting for Leave is an inconvenient fact which is banished by the SNP cadres.

Michael Lynch

26th September 2019 at 8:13 pm

Jim, I get that over here all the time with some people. If you so much as point out the hypocrisy of Labour I get called a Brit b@$tard and such.

26th September 2019 at 11:09 am

Pedro.. ‘far right establishment’ if that were the case we would be out of the EU by now. Joined up thinking, try it some day when you’re grown up.

Michael Lynch

26th September 2019 at 11:18 am

Jo Cox was murdered by a known loner who had mental health issues. He was not the leader of some massive underground far right organization that influenced 17.4 million people to vote Leave. These were the lies perpetrated by extreme far left Remainers when the result came in. Boris did not bring Jo Cox into the debate, the Labour MP did. You can dress hypocrisy up in whatever clothes you like, but it’s still hypocrisy.

Andrew Mawdsley

26th September 2019 at 12:07 pm

Pedro. Really? Jo Cox was murdered by a deviant with mental health issues clearly. To state that this has anything to do with Boris Johnson’s language is disingenuous to say the least. The cause of the current strife is remainers intransigence in pushing forward a democratic vote. Grow up.

26th September 2019 at 9:13 am

The death of Jo Cox was of course tragic as is the murder of any innocent.
The first person to exploit her death it must be remembered was her husband a remain campaigner the following day to attack Brexit , it was absolutely disgusting.
If you continue to refer to Brexiteers as nazis racists etc that encourage violence and murder is there not a chance that some mentally ill soul ( such as Cox’s killer was ) will be .. ‘radicalized’ into thinking that is how they should act, isn’t it a kind of self fulfilling prophecy.. a kind of subliminal goading ?
The phrase I think of all the time when this tripe is regurgitated is ‘be careful what you wish for’ ( part of me thinks that in a perverse way they do ) they clearly are upping the stakes make no doubt about it.. and if you up the stakes things become more volatile, there is a sort of inevitability about where this is all headed.
All that we leave voters have done is simply vote in a democratic referendum to leave the EU and wait for it to happen. We have done absolutely nothing else.
The decline and cheapening of political discourse in our society has come from one side only, the remain establishment.

Claire D

26th September 2019 at 11:45 am

I think you’re right Jerry. I cannot help wondering if Paula Sherrif’s little speech was a deliberate verbal ambush, ie, make a clear reference to Jo Cox without naming her in order to provoke Johnson into saying her name first so that he gets the flack. A thoroughly underhand and dangerous tactic.

26th September 2019 at 2:51 pm

I’ve no doubt it was. She composed the attack in advance. Boris had to answer off the cuff.

Bronk’s Funeral

26th September 2019 at 9:08 am

Getting a bit panicked and desperate, Brenton.

26th September 2019 at 11:09 am

Wonderfully vague comment, Bronk.

26th September 2019 at 12:58 pm

BF
Worth logging in for ?

26th September 2019 at 10:10 pm

The news banner on sky repeated that as a news flash at 6 …’cannabis user taps window and shouts fascist’ …almost as newsworthy as the Sun’s infamous headline ‘ Freddie Starr ate my hamster ‘ !

27th September 2019 at 4:55 pm

Why do you still bother.. ? You know what’s in store for you. So Why do you even bother? Do you remember when someone was trolling Garreth Byrne and l stood up for him? I’ve been trolling you for months…do you have no shame?

It’s gonna be funny if you think you can bluff this out.

27th September 2019 at 5:02 pm

Do you remember how embarassed Queefer Moreswill was? Do you think that every situation is the same? Do you honestly think that l wasn’t the only one that noticed how aggressive you were when you thought that I’d be away for a vew months?

Well I’m certainly starting to enjoy this, and l suspect you aren’t.