‘We need a democratic revolt against the climate extremists’

Dominic Lawson talks to Brendan O’Neill about Brexit, climate change and ‘the apocalypse’.

Sunday Times columnist Dominic Lawson joins spiked’s editor for the latest episode of The Brendan O’Neill Show. They discuss the radicalism of Brexit, the hubris of the climate movement, and the potential for an anti-green populist revolt.

Comments

jan-hugo holten

23rd March 2020 at 9:23 pm

Better and more effective metro and bus transport instead of filling the streets with electric cars like in Norway where I live. Upgrade your existing energy production, introduce saving instead of devastating wind turbines killing birds ,insects,emitting low frequent noise,not giving any reduction in carbon emissions when equation is set with out take, prior to installation, of virgin material for production of towers,turbin blades,generators, etc..
Steer away from onshore wind, look to disaster in Norway

John Pretty

21st March 2020 at 11:34 pm

‘We need a democratic revolt against the climate extremists’

Let me rephrase:

‘We need a democratic revolt against the virus extremists’

Steve James

15th March 2020 at 6:23 pm

The climate brigade must be green with envy of COVID-19. They’ve been trying to shut down the world for decades. The virus achieved it in a few weeks.

Phil Olivetti

12th March 2020 at 2:55 pm

Oh look, another episode of Brendan O’Neill’s Safe Space. In which Brendan nods along to another voice towing the Spiked party line. Literally the least radical podcast it’s possible to imagine.

13th March 2020 at 8:21 am

PO
What is the Spiked party line, I must confess I hadn’t noticed one, enlighten me ?

Phil Olivetti

16th March 2020 at 8:21 am

You haven’t noticed a Spiked party line? The Spiked pro-brexit, anti-environment, anti-trans, pro-populist, pro-trump, anti-left, anti-woke party line? Okay. Wow.

Aunty Podes

13th March 2020 at 11:00 pm

Kindly inform us to which party you believe SPIKED to be affiliated and your evidence to support your opinion.

maymen maymen

12th March 2020 at 2:45 pm

Single Mom With 4 Kids Lost Her Job But Was Able To Stay On Top By Banking Continuously $1500 Per Week With An Online Work She Found Over The Internet…
Check The Details HERE..,.,..,,.,..,.,., See More here

Aunty Podes

13th March 2020 at 11:02 pm

A R B I T R A T O R _ ARE YOU THERE???
This needs eradicating!

James Conner

12th March 2020 at 11:51 am

Two weeks ago, my car failed its MOT. I blame climate change.

12th March 2020 at 2:31 pm

That’s not true and you know it.. it’s Brexit wot dunnit !
As for everything else that goes wrong ever, yes climate change is to blame.

Marvin Jones

22nd March 2020 at 11:12 am

Cars can get Coronavirus as well. Only the other day, a bloke was filmed having sex with his BMW.
“What a wonderful world this could be!”

12th March 2020 at 9:32 am

Im not willing to give up a single thing for the new religion.

Brandy Cluster

14th March 2020 at 1:17 am

Covid19 will kill more people than climate change, but the poor little snowflakes cannot handle truth.

Marvin Jones

15th March 2020 at 1:58 pm

They are brainwashed into believing that only the elderly are vulnerable, so they can carry on disrupting the lives of the normal average people who pay taxes to feed these naive imbeciles.

In2 Minds

11th March 2020 at 10:59 pm

The idiot Metro Mayor of the West Midlands, Andy Street, has asked for more powers to, ‘tackle climate change’. It’s clear this is no more than a power grab from a man as shallow as a puddle.

Christopher Tyson

11th March 2020 at 9:48 pm

The political establishment moves from one crisis to the next, this has been happening for a long time. Brexit, climate, change, coronavirus and other panics before that. This kind of thinking has proved imperious to argument, critique, mockery, satire and common sense. We are left speculating about what is driving this. These people pride themselves on their secularism. Religion gives people a narrative, a beginning, a middle and an end. Religion also gives a meaning and purpose to people’s lives. These intellectuals and media types live in their own heads, these hysterias and panics give them an adrenaline rush and a sense of purpose, a feeling of risk and danger that is missing from their safe and uneventful lives. They can be heroes and martyrs, bringing the message to the planets and ignorant and apathetic masses. In the media it is also a job, a ready made story that can run and run, and journalist don’t even have to leave the office (or self isolation working from home). These panics are the lifeblood of this class of people, to accept the mundanity and predictability of life is for them a kind of death like the death of god all over again. But I’m speculating, it’s baffling.

Christopher Tyson

11th March 2020 at 10:33 pm

‘Whatever gets you through the night, it’s alright’ -John Lennon

So what do I think existentialism is? It is the human condition, it takes many forms, it is resolved in many ways. Am I being judgemental? I don’t think so. Is it okay to be judgemental, well no and perhaps yes. A couple of friends of mine at school were doing French A’Level, one of the said to me once ‘you’re a Meursault figure’. My other friend laughed and agreed, they wouldn’t tell me what they were talking about. A year or two late I discovered Camus, ‘ah a Mersault figure, nothing like me though’. I told my missus this story and she said ‘I can see why they thought that’. Am I in any position to judge anyone? Is my own cold indifference perhaps a buttress against a cold and indifferent world? And if others find their own ways of coping…

Brandy Cluster

11th March 2020 at 10:35 pm

Your comments are always interesting. Thank you. But I think you meant “impervious” in your first comment?

Christopher Tyson

12th March 2020 at 7:12 am

Thanks for the correction, however I always make typos and such, sometimes this can completely change what you mean, hopefully people will work out what I mean.

Aunty Podes

13th March 2020 at 11:07 pm

Religion – the ultimate fraud – a blatant confidence trick!
Demanding total surrender of the intellect to blind faith in imaginary gods, evidence for which is totally lacking.

juliusB

16th March 2020 at 12:58 am

Nobody is forcing it on you. People can believe whatever they feel comfortable with.

Puddy Cat

11th March 2020 at 7:07 pm

As hinted at in this conversation. We spent decades suggesting that the EU was purposeful if it only stopped a resurgence of Nazism in Germany. What a bizarre threat. If Nazism is endemic there then Brussels should have been active in its eradication. But no, the threat was for important to the grand plan.

Puddy Cat

11th March 2020 at 7:01 pm

Coronavirus is making a mockery of AGW. While Global Warming might be a prognostication of politically massaged, the end that they envisage will be realised unseen by the mass for now we see the power of bacteria, which makes all else notional and little else .The mice will inherit the Earth, the Hitch-hiker’s Guide spoke the truth.

John Pretty

13th March 2020 at 7:12 pm

I hate to correct you, but coronavirus is a virus. Not a form of bacteria. Different animal altogether!

11th March 2020 at 6:23 pm

The climate debate is a continuation of the Brexit debate. The climate debate is not about science, it is about politics and a power grab from the centre: more powers vested in international bodies and more diktat over every aspect of our lives and less chance for the rest of us to change it.

The Maldives are supposedly on the frontline of climate change but they are busy building an airport practically on the beech. Like Obama and Gore buying multi-million dollar sea-front properties it brings to mind the phrase “where your treasure is, there you will also find your heart”.

11th March 2020 at 6:45 pm

Four airports I believe… Perhaps they are for a quick getaway for the residents when the Maldives glide under the water eventually sometime in the not to distant or far future one day to be confirmed at some stage.

Brandy Cluster

11th March 2020 at 10:36 pm

This kind of propaganda and hysteria only succeeds if people avoid facts and BELIEVE.

Asif Qadir

11th March 2020 at 5:36 pm

I wouldn’t listen to it, but l can guarantee it’s about something safe. Beta No’Zeal is good at ….what exactly? Appearing authoritative? In regards to what? This is the very scumbag that has a platform and yet completely ignores his own people.

You’re in trouble.