Terror returns to Britain

The team discusses the Reading attack, trans ideology and Karen-bashing.

Topics Politics UK

Has the Reading attack already been forgotten? How did trans activism become so influential? Has the shaming of ‘Karens’ gone too far? Tom Slater, Ella Whelan, Fraser Myers, and special guest Joanna Williams, discuss all this and more on this week’s spiked podcast.

Comments

rogip20353 feri

29th June 2020 at 12:24 pm

Guys, I am making a good pay from home 1900 Buckets/week, that is brilliant, beneath a year agone i used to be unemployed amid a monstrous economy. I pass on God consistently i used to be invested these bearings, and at present, I should pay it forward and impart it to everyone, Go on………EARN22.com

James Conner

27th June 2020 at 12:38 pm

It makes me smile the way when an attack takes place, the police agonise over whether to class it as terro related or not. I mean, who gives a fcuk? Murder is murder. Black or white, Muslim or Christian, man or menstruating person. If they kill, they should be treated to a very lengthy spell in prison.

Gareth Roberts

27th June 2020 at 11:12 am

Way back around 2003, in the aftermath of the 9-11 attack, a study funded by the Pentagon concluded that “islam is an ideological engine of war, and nobody is looking for an off switch”. Our chattering class has somehow sensed that islamic terrorism is caused by islam, but can’t admit it, because that would mean having to admit that multi-culturalism was a catastrophic mistake. So instead they prattle about “mental illness” and “the rise of right wing extremism” and do their best to silence anyone who dares to quote islamic theology.

Bros Bro

27th June 2020 at 6:53 pm

Must be true if it came from the Pentagon.
Like the WMD’s in Iraq

mister wallace

27th June 2020 at 8:25 am

You tend not to see men act like Karen’s but some do. Men tend to go “Stuff it, let’s have a beer”. They are known as Chads. Or perhaps now as Carlos?

mister wallace

27th June 2020 at 8:19 am

So-called “radical musims” are not radical. They are simply being obedient and good muslims by obeying the instructions in their books of world domination. No? Just ask the how they feel about their illiterate prophet’s instructions regarding sex slaves, normal slaves, racism, war mongering, theft and mass murder.

Lyn Keay

27th June 2020 at 11:37 am

You should go and read something about traditional Islam before spouting that nonsense. Classical Islam is not the politicised islamist version. You could try Ed Husain’s The House of Islam: A Global History.

James Conner

27th June 2020 at 12:31 pm

Islam is what the Quran says it is. Far from the radical muslims being just a tiny fragmented offshoot of a peaceful religion, they are in fact the only genuine adhents to the Islamic faith, while the so-called moderate muslims are not true muslims at all.

Bros Bro

27th June 2020 at 6:57 pm

So then Judo Christianity is what their scriptures say?
Racism, Murder, smashing Baby’s Skulls, women being silent, jesus returning to kill all Jeeews etc

juliusB

28th June 2020 at 8:02 am

Can you point us to all these JUDEO Christian instructions in the Bible?

mister wallace

27th June 2020 at 8:17 am

The Pold can’t be everywhere. I mean they have to be at stations making sure nobody is killing granny by not wearing a face mask; or ensuring nobody is sitting alone in a park taking in the sunshine; or swimming alone in the salt filled ocean. Plod is busy virtue signalling because it’s so much easier for the low standards they now have.

jessica christon

26th June 2020 at 11:11 pm

That banner thing has really flushed out all of you fake pro free speech and anti wokeists for the controlled opposition that you really are hasn’t it? You don’t even have any arguments against what it actually said; it just wrong and the guy’s a “twat” for sinning against the woke identitarian orthodoxy which you are ALSO doing your best to uphold, don’t anyone be fooled otherwise.

Anthony Christie

30th June 2020 at 3:24 pm

I completely agree Jessica. White Lives Matter is the only possible response to Black Lives Matter.

Bros Bro

26th June 2020 at 10:08 pm

Incident in Glasgow not Terror related.
Let me guess, the perpetrator is called something like Dave or Alan.
Definitely not a Muhammed.

KATHLEEN CARR

27th June 2020 at 1:13 pm

Definitely not terror related and Farage has been corrected-he called the attacker an illegal immigrant wheras he is actually an asylum seeker . The Kerfuffle was over food at the hotel not being to the man’s liking. Perhaps newcomers to our shores could be issued with a book like Debrett’s guide to etiquette and modern manners or if they are aspire to move up the social ladder Nancy Mitford’s Noblesse Oblige where she explains U and Non-U language?

Constantine Sotiriou

26th June 2020 at 9:03 pm

Considering most Tom slater articles are along the lines of “we need to stop this” or “we need to push back against this” I find it a bit rich he’s called the bloke that’s done more than he’s ever done to push back against ‘it’ (whatever ‘it’ is) a twat and he’s paid the price.

Anthony Christie

30th June 2020 at 3:27 pm

And let’s not forget – Tommy Robinson is a bigot.

Gorge On the Gopher

26th June 2020 at 7:23 pm

You’ve got feel sorry for any Americans actually called Karen. In fact you’ve got to feel sorry for anyone actually American. A bit like you feel sorry for people in a wheelchair. You feel sorry for them but half of you is relieved it’s not you in that chair. I’m relieved I’m not American. I could just about cope with being American but the thought of having to live in a place with other Americans…well, it doesn’t bear thinking about. No wonder they’ve got guns. I think I’d want someone to shoot me.

T Zazoo

26th June 2020 at 8:11 pm

I’m British and I have lived in the US for 30 years. I feel much more vulnerable every time I come to the UK. My family in the UK has suffered way more crime that I have.

I don’t own a gun or feel a need for one. I don’t even lock my house all the time.

You sound like something in the Guardian. Remember folks it’s not racism as long as its only against Americans !

Gorge On the Gopher

26th June 2020 at 8:51 pm

Built on slavery, invented Uber-capitalism, started illegal wars for their own profit and undermine democratically elected governments because it doesn’t suit US interests…

Thing is, this is all forgivable. Hell, no country has a blemish free history.

But this:

…is arduous, reprehensible and utterly utterly unforgivable. Please watch with care and remember, once watched you can’t unwatch it. After this, if I’d lived in American for 30 years I’d still hold on to being British as well.

Michel Houllebeq

26th June 2020 at 4:11 pm

You’ll have to update the podcast – 3 more have been killed in Glasgow hotel housing asylum seekers(see a trend?) and police officer critical. Immigration is breaking this country.

Tom Jones

26th June 2020 at 7:35 pm

But its quite all right – according to the Beeb, Police Scotland are not treating it as terrorism.

Presumably just “part and parcel of living in a big city”

26th June 2020 at 4:00 pm

No doubt BLM will demand we go down on our knees for the black death in the Glasgow terror attack else we are raaayceest.

Gorge On the Gopher

26th June 2020 at 5:54 pm

Indeed. One wonders how many young black men are only alive now because Mark Duggan didn’t get a chance to kill them with that gun.

T Zazoo

26th June 2020 at 9:24 pm

LOL Your link to something I’ll “never be able to unwatch” is a two minute clip of self-righteous celebrities “taking responsibility” Is that something that should shock me?

If you’re going to be an effective troll at least post the correct link.

T Zazoo

26th June 2020 at 9:36 pm

Oh and by the way. 🙂 I live with seven other units close by. We have two mixed race, Black/White families, two Hispanic, one Chinese-American and by strange coincidence three from the UK. England, Scotland, Ireland. Still trying to persuade my friend from Wales to move in so that we have the whole set. The links to the old country which you were worrying about are well alive. It’s not an affluent neigbourhood but we all get along just fine.

But don’t let any of that get in the way of your hatred or your trolling, I know it’s important to you.

27th June 2020 at 11:21 am

T Zazoo how do your posts relate to any of the above from me or Gorge?

As regards these stabbings, ethnicity is the first question on everyone’s mind, even if they do not say it. Out of fear, or, in your case, a dishonest attempt to dismiss the question as irrelevant.
When the Police say “we do not think it is terror related”, everyone assumes that means it is. We can think for ourselves.

Gordon Te Gopher

27th June 2020 at 12:44 pm

Its the right link Zaz. I was being purposefully hysterical – mirroring some of what’s coming out of the US right now. Try to chill out it’s just humour – British humour has moved on in 30 years.

It’s a bit rich though telling me off for criticising American when it seems you live there but don’t want to actually live with any of them. Not only that but you’d rather live with the bloody Welsh?!? (that’s humour again – don’t let it wind you up)

KATHLEEN CARR

27th June 2020 at 8:57 pm

An actress has apologized for having her hair in cornrows years ago when she was at school-she goes on and on saying she now realises how wrong she was as only BHM. Desperate for something to say she sounds like someone saying ‘I’m sorry I was nasty to my brother when I was seven’.Unfortunately for BHM cornrows-or plaits ( braids in US) close to the head were certainly around as European hair styles long before anyone went to Africa.

Andrew Shaughnessy

26th June 2020 at 3:28 pm

3 men in their 20’s from London stabbed near Bournemouth Pier. No word yet on their condition.

26th June 2020 at 5:43 pm

No news of the ethnicity of the victims or perpetrators.

Bros Bro

26th June 2020 at 10:10 pm

Must all be white then

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

26th June 2020 at 2:32 pm

How long are we going to tolerate the presence of this vile religion in our midst? The abandonment of historical Christianity has rendered this country incapable of resisting Isla mofasci st incursions. Ignorant cowards such as Johnson and Welby who fail to stand up to this evil are as guilty as the men who commit these heinous acts.

PAUL ROGERS

26th June 2020 at 5:46 pm

” are as guilty as the men who commit these heinous acts”
Where did you learn this form of hysterics?
You would not last long in my business.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

26th June 2020 at 5:55 pm

I’m glad I’m not in your business.

Bros Bro

28th June 2020 at 6:32 am

What’s the matter?
Jealous that the Mosques are full and the churches are empty?

Mor Vir

26th June 2020 at 2:25 pm

Three dead in Glasgow s tabbings?

Mor Vir

26th June 2020 at 2:31 pm

> 3 dead, up to 20 s tabbed at asylum seeker hostel in Glasgow.

??

Mor Vir

26th June 2020 at 2:32 pm

> Police officer has been s tabbed

??

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

26th June 2020 at 2:32 pm

Yes, but ‘it’s their culture’…

Mor Vir

26th June 2020 at 2:43 pm

Please do not involved me in your narrative.

Linda Payne

26th June 2020 at 3:28 pm

Mulitple fatalities is the latest news, suspect shot dead, the terror continues

Mor Vir

26th June 2020 at 3:34 pm

Three dead plus perp.

The street now evacuated over suspect device.

No word yet on perp or motive. ‘Anti-t error police monitoring situation.’

Mor Vir

26th June 2020 at 4:16 pm

Three d ead in stairwell plus perp. Two receptionists s tabbed, one at desk, one found outside, maintenance bloke s tabbed.

Linda Payne

27th June 2020 at 1:01 pm

Which was not a terrorist incident as first thought but a disaster waiting to happen. I’m beginning to wonder how many desperate people will have to wait longer for mental health care as they system tries to deal with psychotic refugees. When is someone with balls going to deal with this, we are being told it is due to trauma suffered in their home countries, it is not, it is due to the haphazard asylum system process; stuffed in hotels all together with barely means of feeding themselves, why the hell can’t they be put in half decend accomodation given enough to sustain themselves and put to voluntary work and given a chance to learn english if they don’t know it already? At least there will be some semblence of hope? I’ve advised many in this system who only want to work and be able to pay their way It seems we can’t even offer that to our own population let alone anyone entering this country

Carl Bung

26th June 2020 at 2:16 pm

The Reading attack has been “forgotten” in the exact same way every murder and assault in the South of England in the Spring of 2020 has been forgotten by those of us not directly impacted by them.

We browse the news and see a teenage girl has been murdered in Southampton and a man arrested.

Then we browse something else.

What else do you want from us?

I couldn’t tell you the names of any of the NHS staff killed by Covid19 and featured on the Daily Mail website. I just have a vague memory some NHS staff were killed.

This is human nature.

I assume there will be some sort of service in Reading to remember the victims but like most people in Britain I have no connection to Reading or the victims so won’t be attending and nor will I read a news article about it when/if it happens.

People living in Glasgow can’t be expected to notice and renewer every victim of crime on the Isle of Wight.

Huge numbers of people in England today will have zero knowledge of the Birmingham pub bombings, it having happened before they were born.

There was a multiple murder in Reading. Tragic it was, but most people in Britain didn’t spend that evening discussing it or in mourning.

If I am murdered by a terrorist tomorrow, or killed by a drunk driver, I would not expect the people of Britain to think of nothing else for days on end. Life carries on.

26th June 2020 at 5:56 pm

People do think about Muslim terrorists and do talk about it. Most will not come online and say what they would like to for fear of economic and social retribution against them and their children.

David George

27th June 2020 at 10:02 am

That’s more terrifying than the terrorists.