‘People desperately want their vote to matter’

Kate Hoey talks to Brendan O’Neill about the political class’s refusal to deliver Brexit.

Topics Brexit Politics UK

Maverick Labour MP Kate Hoey joins spiked’s editor for the latest episode of The Brendan O’Neill Show. They discuss the left-wing case for Leave, Jeremy Corbyn’s Brexit betrayal and Labour’s disconnect from its working-class heartlands.

Comments

A Game

8th October 2019 at 8:57 am

Humph. I had a comment in moderation, posted about 2 days ago… just usual irreverancy… it hasn’t passed the censors, its been pulled. Humph.
Was someone offended by my saying Keir Starmer is a dullard? Or that I liked Charles? Or that the impeachment is to see off Joe Biden as a presidential candidate?
Or the okay symbol, just more control of citizens?

A Game

8th October 2019 at 8:59 am

Oh, why I disagreed with fox hunting? That its the same as cock fighting or dog fighting… and I’ll add Bullfighting?

Colin Cronin

3rd October 2019 at 4:35 pm

If only there were more like Kate Hoey in the Labour party, people that exercise common sense and are not driven by ideology or self interest.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

29th September 2019 at 6:45 pm

Why is it that only the votes of leave voters must be respected? Should the 48 percent (barely a minority) simply be ignored? 52-48 is not a mandate for anything, let alone a massive constitutional change that could (in the case of no deal) do massive, long-term economic damage to the UK. It is absurd to suggest that remain voters (practically half the country) should be shut out of British political life.

Melvyn POUND

29th September 2019 at 8:11 pm

Zenobia Q1:”Why is it that only the votes of leave voters must be respected? Should the 48 percent (barely a minority) simply be ignored?”
– Try this thought experiment: had 52% voted to Remain, what future EU laws and directives would they have declined to implement out of respect to the Leave voters? I’d hazard the guess – none.

Zenobia Q2: “52-48 is not a mandate for anything, let alone a massive constitutional change….”
– Well, in the Welsh devolution referendum 50.1 – 49.9 was considered sufficient. As I suspect would 50%+1 be in either a NI Border poll or another Scottish independence referendum.
-There is no ‘massive constitutional change’ looming. The EC Act’s and TEU exit mechanisms (viz Art 50) were argued as maintaining our constitution, namely “…that the Queen in Parliament is able to make law by primary legislation without legal restraint, save such restraint as it has imposed on itself for the time being.” and “…Parliament cannot bind its successors”. The prime example of such self-imposed restraint is found in the European Communities Act 1972 which having ceded primacy over Westminster statutes to European Union law ‘for the timbeing’ is now being returned to Westminster..

Zenobia 3: “It is absurd to suggest that remain voters (practically half the country) should be shut out of British political life.”
-No you are not. You are merely being asked to live up to your oft repeated claims to ‘respect the referendum result’. No “respect…but”.

Colin Cronin

2nd October 2019 at 5:46 pm

If the remain vote has to be respected because 52/48 was too close then why the hell did the Welsh devolution go ahead on a referendum result of 50.30 /49.70. I’ll tell you why, it was because that’s what the establishment wanted unlike Brexit where it is the opposite. So please don’t go on about ‘respecting the vote’, the establishment couldn’t give a hoot about democracy as is plain to see.

Chris Peacock

29th September 2019 at 12:32 pm

When we hear Labour and other opposition MP’s bemoan about the government not reaching across the aisle to try and come to some kind of compromise about what kind of deal can be passed through the HoC. Quote this Daily Mail article 2 days ago written by Sir Robbie Gibb, it just beggars belief and I do understand why it is not more widely known.

Sir Robbie Gibb:
“Every time I hear Labour politicians claim to respect the result of the referendum, I am reminded of a meeting in Whitehall this year.

In a final roll of the dice to deliver Brexit, Theresa May had opened talks with Labour in a bid to break the Parliamentary impasse.

Senior Cabinet colleagues and advisers sat across the table from a Labour delegation, led by their Brexit spokesman, Keir Starmer.

Progress was painfully slow as Labour, so fond of accusing the Government of running down the clock on Brexit, repeatedly tried to thwart attempts to find common ground and move forward. This reached an almost farcical level one April afternoon when Starmer opened his remarks by dismissing proposals, outlined in a discussion document, as ‘totally inadequate’.

Gavin Barwell, then the Prime Minister’s Chief of Staff, sighed. ‘These are Labour’s own proposals,’ he said. ‘They have been literally cut and pasted from a document you submitted to us.’ There was a knowing and embarrassed laugh from the Labour side.

Janet Mozelewski

29th September 2019 at 10:58 am

I never voted Labour in my life. I either voted Conservative or I abstained. But I always saw the value of many of their voices and opinions. (At the same time as I deplored, and still do, the people within Labour who felt that being a socialist and loving your country were somehow incompatible.)
I remember listening to Tony Benn speak…..and though I disagreed with things I never once doubted his sincerity and the fact he truly cared and thought about what he was saying. He was always stimulating intelligent discussion, widening the range of opinion, encouraging people to think for themselves. His comments about the EU always resonated with me….so true….and particularly about people being ‘managed, not represented’.
Hoey is in that tradition. A politician of principle who cares about her constituents. We need more of her kind, not less. (I remember Benn saying he was leaving parliament because he wanted to spend more time on Politics. Perhaps she is doing the same.)
The lack of respect…scorn… and even demonization of the ordinary working families,the disadvantaged, and those without money to pay for an ‘education, is becoming normalized and encouraged by mainstream media. They are losing the only voice they have left: their right to be heard at the ballot box. The fact that this insult is being delivered, in large part, by a party they have supported for generations on the understanding that it supported them in return, must be the biggest betrayal of all. It will not end well.

Michael Lynch

29th September 2019 at 11:08 am

Tony Benn was a monumental Politician. I was a Labour supporter simply because of people like him. In interviews you could sense the sincerity and wisdom in his words. Compare him now with the likes of the Mace grabbing Heseltine; both of the same era. Benn was behind the creation of Concorde; one of greatest peace time technological achievements. Heseltine went around the world with it on a trade mission, at great taxpayers expense, and couldn’t even sell one!

Geoff Cox

29th September 2019 at 2:14 pm

Yes, Janet. You can say what you like about the Labour Party of the 60s & 70s (and I had plenty to say about their disastrous economics policies including Tony Benn’s National Enterprise Board and “commanding the heights of the British economy”) but you never had the idea that they were anti-Britain or anti-British. Many, of course, though not Harold Wilson, had proper war service behind them. International socialism was not for the Parliamentary Labour Party in those days – though it certainly seems to be now.

Simon Lakin

29th September 2019 at 10:48 am

An excellent interview with Kate Hoey. Perhaps if should stood as an independent in a northern constituency she might win it.

Anthony Jaynes

29th September 2019 at 5:39 pm

Very difficult to to win a seat as an Independent, why else are ex Labour and Conservative MPs joining Lib Dem. They now realise that without a party organisation and money behind them there is very little chance of winning a seat at a general election, and this goes for Kate Hoey as well. Would she have got into parliament in the first place without Labour backing. I think not

Jane 70

29th September 2019 at 10:40 am

One of the few MPs to have retained my respect and trust. A truly courageous democrat and and she’ll be sadly missed.

a watson

29th September 2019 at 10:08 am

I lived in the Vauxhall constituancy for several years and the appreciation and regard towards Kate Hoey amongst the electorate in a very mixed area was palpable. A very approachable and effective costituancy MP. Good to hear an MP talking sensibly and honestly about our current political situation – I suppose many others are incapable or afraid of doing the same.

Jonathan Yonge

29th September 2019 at 10:07 am

I never appreciated the Labour movement that Kate Hoey describes, but I do now.
Very valuable history.

Michael Lynch

29th September 2019 at 8:37 am

Excellent interview. Kate is the last of old Labour and it’s a great shame she won’t stand again.