Why is Mario Lopez apologising for telling the truth?

Anyone who blasphemes against the church of genderfluidity will be punished.

Brendan O'Neill

Brendan O'Neill
Editor

Actor turned TV host Mario Lopez was absolutely right about ‘trans kids’. He was right to say that parents should not cave in to their children when they claim to be the wrong gender. He was right to say it is ‘dangerous’ to accept a three-year-old’s word as gospel when he or she – or they? – claims to be the opposite sex. He was right to say, in his interview with Candace Owens a month ago, ‘My God, if you’re three years old and you’re saying you’re feeling a certain way or you think you’re a boy or a girl or whatever the case may be, I just think it’s dangerous as a parent to make that determination then’. So why has he now apologised for and recanted his apparently ‘ignorant and insensitive’ comments? Because genderfluidity is the new religion and no one is allowed to blaspheme against it. If you do, you’ll be dragged into the public square – social media – and denounced as a rank, unspeakable heretic.

The Lopez controversy provides a searing insight into the irrationalism and censoriousness of the trans fad. As he was unveiled as a new host on Access Hollywood this week, his comments from the Owens interview resurfaced online. Self-styled guardians of morality on Twitter went crazy. How could a show as popular as Access Hollywood employ someone who refuses to bow and scrape before the transgender ideology and its gospel of genderfluidity, they collectively screamed? Before long, presumably under pressure from his new bosses, Lopez was doing the 21st-century equivalent of flagellating himself in public for his blasphemous thoughts – he was ‘walking back’, as the media put it, his comments on trans kids. ‘Walking back’ is a PC euphemism for recantation, for publicly renouncing your previous heretical beliefs and swearing devotion to the one true church – in this case the church of trans.

‘Are you now or have you ever been trans-sceptical?’ That’s the sinister, 1950s-echoing question shows like Access Hollywood might as well ask all their employees. In the past you didn’t have a hope in hell of getting ahead in Hollywood or celebrityville if you were a Commie; now your chances are blown if you’re even just a smidgen doubtful of the transgender ideology. And yet there was nothing remotely controversial about Lopez’s comments. A great many parents, and others, will agree with him. Three-year-olds are stupid. That’s why they need constant care. Children in general, until they are into their mid- or late teens, don’t really know who they are and go through many fads and periods of experimentation as they work out their personality. The idea that we should nod along uncritically to every boy who says ‘I’m a girl’ is perverse. It represents a complete collapse of adult authority to say ‘Okay’ to the confused kid who claims to be a different sex. It is not transphobic for a parent to say to his son, ‘No, you’re not a girl – you’re a boy. You can’t wear a dress to school or use the girls’ toilets because you’re a boy.’ That’s good parenting, not bigotry.

There is indeed an element of danger, as Lopez said, to the ‘trans kids’ phenomenon. As recent revelations about the gender-identity Tavistock Clinic show, young children are being given puberty-blocking drugs, with little regard for the long-term consequences. Young girls are binding their breasts, so horrified are they by their developing female bodies, and teenage boys, many of whom will simply be gay, are shamefully wondering if their ‘feminine’ traits mean they should really be a girl. This is not healthy. The fashion for genderfluidity – a fashion no one is allowed to criticise – is nurturing confusion and even self-hatred among growing numbers of young people. Anyone who thinks it is healthy that 18-year-old women are having double mastectomies or that young males who think they are women are planning to take hormone drugs every day for the rest of their lives clearly has a different understanding of the word ‘healthy’ to the rest of us.

Like all fundamentalist religious beliefs, the ideology of genderfluidity demands complete subservience, even to the most irrational beliefs. Including the belief that it is possible to change sex. We know it isn’t possible. We know that every cell in a trans-woman’s body is male. We know that a blood test would reveal that these people are male. We know that if they stopped taking their drugs they would revert to male appearance. And yet we are expected to suspend our own knowledge, to disavow truth, and join in the collective incantation that ‘Trans women are women’. We are expected to lie, and if we don’t we are in trouble. You will be branded a bigot, a transphobe or a TERF (trans-exclusionary radical feminist) if you refuse to parrot untruths that have been repackaged as unquestionable commandments.

The public shaming of Mario Lopez is bad, for it confirms that the entrenchment of rigid, destructive trans thinking. More blasphemers must now step forward. There is no such thing as a ‘trans kid’; you cannot change sex; a person with a penis has no right to access waxing services reserved for women; trans-women are not women – these truths need airing, whatever the consequences.

Brendan O’Neill is editor of spiked and host of the spiked podcast, The Brendan O’Neill Show. Subscribe to the podcast here. And find Brendan on Instagram: @burntoakboy

Comments

Hana Jinks

3rd August 2019 at 4:32 pm

Just while I’m here, I’m taking votes about who would be the unlikely-ist subject for a topic.

Just to let everyone know, I’m pretty surprised that Mario Lopez is a topic.

3rd August 2019 at 4:35 pm

Beta No’Zeal.

Do you know anything about being “too gay”?.

Neil McCaughan.

I reckon that I’ll get a smirk out of from all of this, at least.

3rd August 2019 at 4:53 pm

Neil.

It’s about to really go down.

3rd August 2019 at 5:24 pm

* you

3rd August 2019 at 5:26 pm

They’ve actually pushed me to the point of ” l don’t give a pharque”.

Willie Penwright

3rd August 2019 at 2:03 pm

Kate Lane: “I wanted to be a horse for quite a while……..where does that leave me?”
You’re another naysayer but you’re right.

Kate Lane

3rd August 2019 at 2:13 am

I wanted to be a horse for quite a while……..where does that leave me?

3rd August 2019 at 5:59 am

Stable.

Amelia Cantor

2nd August 2019 at 10:36 am

“He was right to say it is ‘dangerous’ to accept a three-year-old’s word as gospel when he or she – or they? – claims to be the opposite sex.”

It can NEVER be “right” to spew hate at a vulnerable minority — just ask the Jewish community. In this case, this transphobes gets is completely the wrong way around. What is dangerous is uninformed bigotry and hate-filled ignorance like his own. The trans community experience appalling levels not only of self-harm and suicide but also of street attacks and muder.

Mario Lopez should not only lose his job and be publicly shunned: he should be locked up for two or three years to consider the error of his ways. And so should O’Neill and all other transphobes on this site. Hate speech is not free speech. Hate speech led to the Holocaust. That is why transphobia (like racism, sexism and Brexit) must be terminated with extreme prejudice by any means necessary.

PAT Simmons

3rd August 2019 at 9:33 am

“What is dangerous is uninformed bigotry”….so is uninformed biology!

Amelia Cantor

3rd August 2019 at 10:41 am

☛ Humun beings are not prisoners of their biology. ☚

This is a core principle of progressive politics. And Spiked certainly preach it. But their adolescent contrarianism blinds them to the fact that the transgender community are at the forefront of progress and are early adopters of humunity’s triumph over our own so-called biological limits.

3rd August 2019 at 12:43 pm

You’re gonna end up way too embarrassed to continue this for much longer.

3rd August 2019 at 12:44 pm

Lol..sounds like some kind of empty threat, right?

3rd August 2019 at 12:53 pm

Joanna Williams and Neil McCaughan are the only one’s l trust around here at this point.

Mystie B

4th August 2019 at 12:12 am

Using the Holocaust every time someone’s opinion doesn’t agree with your own is an insult to all those who died in it, and any who survived it. Good grief. Get a grip.

1st August 2019 at 11:20 pm

“Why is Mario Lopez apologising for telling the truth?”
I’m guessing it’s because he wants the gig and the money it brings. Principles don’t pay the bills.

1st August 2019 at 8:59 pm

Beta No’Zeal.

I’ve gotta say that you’re office has been extremely disrespectful towards me and countless others.

Why the pharque is Mario Lopez the story? …should be the question.

1st August 2019 at 10:06 pm

You’re breathlessly reporting on fake news.

Don’t you have any idea what this does to your reputation?

1st August 2019 at 10:08 pm

Can you see how insane l am in the 18 hrs after having to encounter Sleeve Gay?

1st August 2019 at 5:56 pm

We will soon all end up like Ross, being forced to apologise to a cat:

“This is not your mom, this is a cat”

Winston Stanley

1st August 2019 at 5:54 pm

The more general point is that we live in a society where the state, and those who agree with the state, still think that they can tell people what to think and what to say. It is a society in which state orthodoxy is imposed. In that sense it is no different to a theocracy or an ideological dictatorship. We may as well be back in the Middle Ages.

How is it different for Islamic State to tell people what to think, and to punish them for heterodoxy, and for the British State to do the same? Clearly any difference between IS and BS does not reside in freedom of thought and expression. The imposed doctrines just happen to be different.

The main difference seems to be that IS does not claim to be liberal democracy that tolerates and encourages freedom of thought and expression. Maybe they are just more honest? Our society needs to take a long hard look at itself and to decide what we really value. Do we really want to be a liberal society at all? If so, then are we?

Is liberalism just a pleasant illusion? Self-congratulatory vanity? Maybe societies just do not function in a free, liberal manner and a pleasant illusion of freedom is the best that we can hope for? An illusion, like religion. The trouble is that reality tends to reassert itself in unmistakable and unavoidable ways.

It is tempting to say that BS “liberalism” is incoherent and a mess. We are given supposed values, of free thought and speech, that the society does not really hold. That is always going to produce tension, ill will and harm. Perhaps that is simply the best that we can come up with?

As the radical Islamists tend to say, “free speech? what free speech? freedom? what freedom?” They point to how their own freedom of speech is limited or to how the state imposes doctrines on their schools. It is easy for them to point to inconsistencies and hypocrisies in Western liberalism and that needs an answer.

It is not enough to say “we are liberal and you are not.” They can just as easily reply, “you are not liberal and we do not claim to be, that is the difference.” And they seem to be closer to the truth on that one. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Either we allow and encourage freedom of though and expression or we do not.

Either we want to be a liberal society or we do not. If we do, then maybe we should start acting like one. And if we do not, then maybe we should just admit that? Those are hard questions that we need to be realistic about and to take seriously as a society. Or we can just carry on with a pretence, that too is an option.

It would be awful if our claim to liberalism amounted to nothing more than a pretence to justify military interventions around the world, in the name of “liberal democracy”, much as religion was used in the Middle Ages. And as IS still uses it. Again, how are we really any different?

Maybe our liberalism is just as fictional as their religion, and it all comes down in the end to societies using illusions to cohere and to control their populations and to justify their wars? As Madonna sang, “we are living in a material world.” And it is like “get over it.” We have the pretence of liberalism and they have theocracy but it is all the same in the end, and only ever could be?

Kimberly JGallion

1st August 2019 at 5:25 pm

I get paid over $90 per hour acting from home with two children reception. I ne’er thought i would be able to hump however my succor earns over 10k a month doing this and he or she convinced American state to undertake. The potential with this is often endless. Heres what i have been doing

1st August 2019 at 5:32 pm

W agner J ew sucks dicks for free.

Beat that.

1st August 2019 at 5:36 pm

Now I’ve got two of you on my mind. Just step the fk up, Jerry Oven-Kraut.

1st August 2019 at 7:58 pm

That’s the last time you’ll ever get anything from me, Jerry Oven-Kraut.

There was a part of me that didn’t want to have to go to the next level, but pharqued if l know why.

I need to inform you now that l have you at the same level as Anti Moreswill, and this won’t change any time soon.

If someone was trying to troll me then the first thing id3 do would be to confront it.

Ive been trolling you for how long?

Suck shit, dude.

Danny Rees

1st August 2019 at 4:58 pm

When I wake up in the morning
And the alarm gives out a warning
And I don’t think I’ll ever make it on time
By the time I grab my books
And I give myself a look
I’m at the corner just in time to see the bus fly by

It’s alright ‘coz I’m saved by the bell

If the teacher pops a test
I know I’m in a mess
And my dog ate all my homework last night
Riding low in my chair
She won’t know that I’m there
If I can hand it in tomorrow it will be alright

It’s alright ‘coz I’m saved by the bell
It’s alright ‘coz I’m saved by the
It’s alright ‘coz I’m saved by the
It’s alright ‘coz I’m saved by the bell

1st August 2019 at 5:03 pm

Isn’t that Sheena Eason?

1st August 2019 at 5:04 pm

Lol…sorry, Easton!!!???

1st August 2019 at 5:05 pm

Dude, you is too gay. And you can’t block me anymore.

Danny Rees

1st August 2019 at 8:31 pm

It’s the lyrics of the title song of Saved By The Bell , the 90s TV show that Mario Lopez stared in.

I don’t have to block you

I can just ignore you.

1st August 2019 at 9:10 pm

So why did younblock me before?

1st August 2019 at 4:12 pm

This article reminds me of Liam Neeson ( because I watched his Taken trilogy over the weekend.. again ) where he admitted years and years ago looking for a black man to attack.
Wow, the attacks on him were positively cyclonic in force.. he hadn’t actually even done anything just thought about it, never admit to thought crime ! How he changed form a ruthless killer …’ I ‘will’ find you and I ‘will’ kill you’ ..to an appeasing little wimp was quite amusing. How he can make ‘Taken 4’ now he’s been outed as a wimp I don’t know.
I have more anger for those that cow down and actually publicly live in denial of their real views on subjects, indeed just being honest as any person should be able to be in public about their legitimate thoughts, than those that try to shut people up. How anyone can have self respect publicly retracting a belief is beyond me totally.
I have twice been told ‘you can’t say that’ .. a red rag to a bull for me, my response along the lines of ‘ I will say whatever I like, you or nobody else will stop me’.
Of that twice the response has been the same as putting a bag on a chickens head, silence. People need to man up for goodness sake’s, these people hunt in packs , stick it to any one of them personally and they back down. I suspect many of the Twatter mob don’t even think about what they are twattering on about unless you stick it back to them in their face in person.
Never apologize for your views it makes you weak and it makes you more scared to show who you are as a person.

1st August 2019 at 4:26 pm

So are we gonna be able to discuus anything eventually?

Jo Stafford-Tolley

2nd August 2019 at 6:50 pm

Very well put, Jerry Owen – thank you.

Jonnie Henly

1st August 2019 at 3:57 pm

“If you do, you’ll be dragged into the public square – social media”

When did the public square get re defined as social media? There’s something that needs more questioning.

1st August 2019 at 4:10 pm

Hi Jon.

I’m very sorry that l asked about being cooped up. It was a kind of reflex-move from having trolled you so much in the past. I regret not having apologised for it at the time, and would’ve deleted it if l could.

Anyway, I’m sorry for disrespecting you, and although there are many things that we disagree on, l hope that we are able to talk about these things in the future from a platform of mutual respect.

Richard Holloway

1st August 2019 at 3:57 pm

My four year old boy a few months ago asked me:
“Am I a girl?”

I answered: “No, you’re a boy, you have a penis. Mummy is a girl, she doesn’t have a penis.”

He responded: “Daddy, am I a dinosaur?”

1st August 2019 at 4:14 pm

I’d have loved to have seen the look on your face.

So what was your answer?

Richard Holloway

1st August 2019 at 4:21 pm

“No, you’re not a dinosaur.”
“Can I pretend to be a dinosaur.”

Etc

My point is that every single 3-4 year old asks these questions, it’s what they do.
The perversion is adults telling them they are something they are not.

If a teenager starting puberty questions their gender then there is a good reason to explore, question and work with them to help them understand who they are and their own body.

But a four year old? We don’t let them cross the road without holding a hand. It is in my view tantamount to child abuse to make them question their own gender before they even understand anything about it.

1st August 2019 at 4:38 pm

It is outrageous that it’s gotten to the stage where they’re able to propagate perversion.

Apart from that, keep a log of the hilarious things that your kids say until about the age of eight. I wish l had’ve.

gershwin gentile

1st August 2019 at 4:48 pm

Have reported you to Social Services for a blatant use of phash-ist logic and reason.

1st August 2019 at 5:19 pm

So where do we stand?

1st August 2019 at 5:21 pm

I’ve got a name for you, but they keep blocking me from using it.

I’m gonna start trying the W attie tactic with it.

W agner J ew.

1st August 2019 at 5:23 pm

Lol…cheers Wattie.

Pru C

1st August 2019 at 11:13 pm

So a little boy – I’d guess four-ish – picked out a magazine for little girls the other day, while his slightly older brother picked a boys magazine. So did it mean:

He’s a four year old boy who doesn’t get there’s a rule about which magazines he’s supposed to choose?

He’s actually a girl?

Nothing?

It seems to me we’ve destroyed that last option. Does everything has to mean something today? Is this some horrible outcome of an obsessive search for meaning – we now see meaning everywhere in everything? In truth an awful lot means nothing at all – there’s no conspiracy, no pattern being followed by anything, no fate, no cause and effect, no meaning.

Unfortunately I fear… fast forward 5-10 years and there’ll be a lot of court cases. This religion will be disowned then, you betcha. Perhaps voices asking “out of curiosity, who would a kid sue?” … might curtail some of it? (It should be everyone involved shouldn’t it?)

2nd August 2019 at 5:07 pm

As a 5-year old at primary school, I was told not to play with a dustpan and brush. Since then, I’ve avoided housework like the plague.
Was I:
a) prevented from reaching my true potential as a person, or
b) spared thousands of hours of tedium by a forward-thinking spinster?
I’ve never been able to decide…

Paul Robson

2nd August 2019 at 8:58 am

My son when four was determined he wanted to be called Kevin. (Not because of name-fluidity or some such drivel, but because the host of “Blues Clues” was called Kevin). Now he’s 21 we occasionally remind him of it.

I think Peterson is right about this (and wrong about the timescale). It will stop only when the current victims of the Tranny mafia get to 16/18 and start suing the people who gave them drugs when they were small. It’s indefensible. I suspect it will be more like 5-8 years than 15 though.

Pru C

2nd August 2019 at 4:29 pm

Indeed… and how many victims will have been amassed by then? It’s so awful.

gershwin gentile

1st August 2019 at 3:40 pm

Why are kids worried about their gender at such a young age? Just thought I’d ask.

Also, being trans is more socially acceptable than being gay in Iran. In fact I read a stat saying that Iran has the most trans surgeries after Thailand. Nothing for nothing.

1st August 2019 at 5:29 pm

Time for you to give account.

1st August 2019 at 8:06 pm

Go ahead and underestimate me.

Jane 70

1st August 2019 at 2:22 pm

This is fascinating; by a world renowned geneticist, Professor Jenny Graves.

fret slider

1st August 2019 at 3:07 pm

The Conversation is a right-on Australian academic project paid for by the Australian government. It claims Academic rigour, journalistic flairBut it’s just a globalist socialist platform.

This says nothing about the ~25% influence of grandparents’ genes. Why is that? Have you wondered?

Take John.

John has a Y chromosome from his grandfather and an X chromosome from his grandmother. John’s daughter gets John’s X chromosome completely unchanged. And it is the same X that John got from the grandmother. This is what makes the granddaughter and the grandmother share more DNA.

Genes do not work in splendid isolation, they work in operons.

The article is a total waste of column inches.

1st August 2019 at 9:46 pm

Jane 70

You don’t have to concern yourself with taking fretter. This will be a pleasure for me.

Jane 70

1st August 2019 at 2:13 pm

A worthwhile article, replete with that all too rare commodity, common sense.

A friend, a retired teacher herself, recently told me that a very young boy in the same class as her 7 year old grand daughters, now ‘self identifies’ as a girl, with the apparent consent of the teaching staff and parents.

Samsundar Duvakemar

1st August 2019 at 2:06 pm

A most interesting and informative article, Mr O’Niell sir. I agree with your conclusions.

1st August 2019 at 1:45 pm

Ameliorate Cant.

Ur gonna have to turn the mods off for me to be able to explain this properly, but l get what you are now.

(This could not be lamer)

1st August 2019 at 1:48 pm

You were right, Ed Turnbull, but it’s lamer than you could imagine.

1st August 2019 at 1:50 pm

How about manning up and putting me on a podcast?

fret slider

1st August 2019 at 1:52 pm

And your comment on the subject at hand is….

1st August 2019 at 1:56 pm

Hahahaahhaahaha

fret slider

1st August 2019 at 2:01 pm

Hahahaahhaahaha

As I thought, a total, complete and utter airhead.

1st August 2019 at 2:11 pm

Fretty.
I advise you to step off.

fret slider

1st August 2019 at 2:35 pm

When I want unhinged advice, I’ll let you know.

1st August 2019 at 3:05 pm

Cool. I just made a new enemy.

fret slider

1st August 2019 at 3:09 pm

{Cool. I just made a new enemy.}

Don’t flatter yourself.

I couldn’t care less.

1st August 2019 at 3:43 pm

Good. Then you won’t mind me trolling you for a while?

fret slider

1st August 2019 at 1:36 pm

Parents are the problem as far as the left [and the establishment] is concerned.

They simply cannot be trusted.

So the state brings in its armies of psychologists, social workers, doctors, teachers etc – they know best.

Linda Payne

1st August 2019 at 2:04 pm

Quite right and we are seeing this where parents are protesting about relationship classes; basically people high profile or not should just stop apologising and stand by their comments and the rest of us need to support them

fret slider

1st August 2019 at 2:07 pm

Parents, as I said, are the problem.

Or to put it in its correct context, they are the obstacle that gets in the way of the state indoctrination.

1st August 2019 at 3:07 pm

Hi Linda.

Fretty is my new one.

1st August 2019 at 3:09 pm

They keep thinking that they can talk any way they like.

fret slider

1st August 2019 at 3:11 pm

{Fretty is my new one.}

What a sad case you are, Hana.

Forgotten your meds?

1st August 2019 at 3:12 pm

Fretty is actually such a new one that l don’t even have a proper name for her yet.

fret slider

1st August 2019 at 3:13 pm

Ooh get past the dungarees.

1st August 2019 at 3:46 pm

Ok.

( Someone might care to translate that into human).

1st August 2019 at 4:17 pm

Fret Slider
You forgot the surgeons… they make the most lasting changes .. ‘give or take a bit ‘ as it were !

1st August 2019 at 4:47 pm

Unless you’re prepared to translate the dungaree comment then I’m absolutely shocked that you’d actually be here at this point. You’ve been too lame to speak to me for over a month now.