Why we must embrace the wonders of nuclear power

Marco Visscher talks to Brendan O’Neill about the backwardness of Extinction Rebellion and the brilliance of nuclear.

Marco Visscher, eco-modernist, joins spiked’s editor for the latest episode of The Brendan O’Neill Show. They discuss the threats to human progress, the promise of nuclear power and why economic growth is good for the environment.

Comments

Thomas Smith

21st February 2020 at 12:10 am

The wonders of nuclear power? What about the meltdowns, and the problem of nuclear waste? Gee willikers, Mr. Science! You’re really full of shit!

R Rodd

22nd February 2020 at 2:45 pm

The meltdowns were of Gen 2 designs and Chernobyl was a particularly bad Gen 2 design. There have been no meltdowns of Gen 3 designs and there are designs for Gen 4 which are even safer and which use as fuel the waste of Gen 2 and Gen 3 designs outputting less and less dangerous waste.

The world is going ahead with nuclear, just not the West. China currently has 21 nuclear power plants under construction so the question isn’t nuclear or not nuclear, it’s Gen 3 designs or Gen 4 designs.

26th February 2020 at 9:15 am

And your solution apart from insults?
BTW you are typical of XR types.

tamit kim

19th February 2020 at 11:16 am

Want To Work From Home Without Selling Anything? No Experience Needed, Weekly Payments… Join Exclusive Group Of People That Cracked The Code Of Financial Freedom!. Learn More details Good luck…

19th February 2020 at 7:40 am

America under Trump has become fossil fuel self sufficient. That is something for us to be admirable of. Shale plays a large part of that energy.
Over here though our government halts shale gas development which could have employed so many people and supply us with home grown energy that needs no transportation across the ocean.
Boris is squandering his once in a lifetime huge public support on so many issues.
For the government to blame the recent floods on AGW is the latest absurdity.
Somerset has been very much unscathed by the floods .. why? Because they dredged their rivers after the last floods. It ain’t rocket science.
Boris Johnson and his government are carrying on oblivious to the challenges facing this country. I was slightly cheered when he became PM only because of Corbyn, but that slight optimism is waning fast.

Regena CHope

19th February 2020 at 3:34 am

I make a big amount online work . How ??? Just u can done also with this site and u can do it Easily 2 step one is open link next is Click on Tech so u can done Easily now u can do it also here..>>> Click it here

Adamsson 66

18th February 2020 at 6:07 pm

Nuclear power has it’s used but it cannot possibly replace fossil fuels this article explains

R Rodd

22nd February 2020 at 2:49 pm

I read that article and it isn’t particularly compelling. Besides, nobody is suggesting we replace all fossil fuel plants in existence with nuclear, only that new plants be nuclear until something better is available.

18th February 2020 at 6:06 pm

Much better to burn oil, gas and, coal. Its plentiful and cheap.

Steve Roberts

18th February 2020 at 5:24 pm

Really interesting piece, the only dissapointment is that it was not drawn out that the project of environmentalism, certainly in its recent phase has been an elite initiated project although Marco did recognise that it was a minority movement with mainstream support.
So we have a previous green who was open minded enough to objectively look at the evidence and apply crtitical thinking, few and far between especially among green adults.
He labels himself an eco modernist, and while labels do not have too much resonance today his new thought processes to me indicates he is simply applying a human centred politics, quite the opposite to the deep misanthropy of most other greens, this is what sets him apart.
And this is the huge difference, it is not that other greens are incapable of understanding all that Marco has, but their ideology still takes them to the misanthropic viewpoint, to solve the “problem” reduce the human footprint, not just how humans behave but by reducing us.
Well done Marco , all credit to you.Good luck changing the ideas of your previous colleagues, i wouldn’t hold my breath with most of the main protagonists though.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

18th February 2020 at 3:06 pm

Oh come on Brendan, give us another article on the tranny tsunami!

18th February 2020 at 5:27 pm

When he does, you berate him; when he doesn’t, you berate him.
I’m beginning to think that you might have an aversion to BON. (Or perhaps and allergy?)

18th February 2020 at 6:35 pm

Ven
ZP can’t even put her case for the EU, such is the lack of intellect she posseses. Hilarious really.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

18th February 2020 at 7:18 pm

VEN OODS — BON has a beard and therefore cannot be trusted. He would not last a second in the Russia of Peter the Great.

18th February 2020 at 6:34 pm

ZP
Answer my question over on the Caroline Flack article.. or indeed here, or are you incapable?

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

18th February 2020 at 7:16 pm

JERRY OWEN — The countries in the EU all joined voluntarily. Once in the EU they agree to pool their sovereignty out of shared economic etc. interest. The EU has legal mechanisms for the withdrawal of a Member State and cannot legally prevent any country from doing so, as the UK is currently proving. Only someone with zero historical perspective could claim that the EU is in any sense an ’empire’. In any case, why is England still hanging on to its mini-Celtic empire. It’s surely time the English cut the subsidised Celts loose…

18th February 2020 at 8:18 pm

Poor old ZP
Unable to answer my question which was how can you be anti empire yet support the self confessed EU empire . Try again to answer my question , not how it works we all know that,
Explain your hypocrisy.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

18th February 2020 at 8:45 pm

JERRY OWEN — I answered your question perfectly but you refuse to accept logic and evidence, such is your blind rage against the EU! Brexiters like slogans and simple fixes, not real world pragmatism and negotiation. Remember, if the EU goes down, we will go down with it!

18th February 2020 at 10:10 pm

ZP
You haven’t even mentioned the word empire! Yet you support it.
First we did not voluntarily join the EU how can you not know such a simple fact? Other countries such as Ireland were cajoled and bullied into joining.
Secondly the EU has made it very clear it is going to make it very much harder for other countries to leave, to keep it’s rotten empire intact.
Lastly look at the sufferance of many nation’s within it.
So… Please explain how you can be anti empire yet support the EU which has all the hall marks of an empire and indeed describes itself as such?

19th February 2020 at 7:28 am

ZP
Your assertion that only someone with ‘zero historical perspective’ could claim that the EU is an empire… Yet Verhofstadt a leading EU figure claims just that. Are you saying that your beloved EU is led by an idiot?

ygleizer carvalhol

18th February 2020 at 2:35 pm

I am making a real GOOD MONEY ($550 to $750 / hr) online from my laptop. Last month I GOT chek of nearly 85000$, this online work is simple and straightforward, don’t have to go OFFICE, Its home online job. You become independent after joining this JOB. I really thanks to my FRIEND who refer me this SITE. I hope you also got what I…go to home media tech tab for more detail reinforce your heart…… Click here

Regena CHope

19th February 2020 at 3:35 am

★I’am made $84, 8254 so far this year working on the web and I’m a full time understudy. Im utilizing an online business opportunity I caught wind of and I’AM profited. It’s truly easy to understand and I’m simply so cheerful that I got some answers concerning it. Here what I do,.for more data essentially open this connection thank you……. Read more