Boris: Brexit or bust

The team discuss Boris Johnson, Carl Beech and Canada’s waxing controversy with Lindsay Shepherd.

What does Boris Johnson mean for Brexit? Why were Carl Beech’s lies taken so seriously? What does Canada’s waxing controversy tell us about trans? Tom Slater, Ella Whelan, Fraser Myers and special guest Lindsay Shepherd discuss all this on this week’s spiked podcast.

Comments

Philip Davies

29th July 2019 at 7:10 am

What is needed now is an advertising campaign. Something simple would be best

BELIEVE IN BRITAIN
we can do it together

Paul Carlin

28th July 2019 at 2:18 am

I have no idea who listens to ‘podcasts’; presumably cyclists riding to their deaths on inner-city roundabouts, but I am most certainly not one of them. What the f is this enormous stupidity about? I want to read sensibly thought-out, constructed and concluded opinion here. If you would please continue doing so well in the written word, I would be enormously grateful. PC.

28th July 2019 at 1:29 pm

I listen to few podcasts, but don’t begrudge them to their fans.
I was led to wonder whether you’d also prefer to read the script of a radio play, rather than listen to it being performed.

Pru C

28th July 2019 at 9:42 pm

I’m afraid I agree with Paul. I don’t begrudge podcasts and I suspect he doesn’t either.

Reading has some advantages: it’s often quicker to digest, the content is more structured, if you want to break off to come back to it tomorrow then it’s easier to scan through the endings of paragraphs to locate where you were rather than trying to scroll to 4:46 if you thought to make a note and didn’t loose the note and if you miss a sentence it’s easy to reread. Have you not pondered why the ‘death of the book’ has not happened?

I also struggle with the obsession with videos. When there’s a transcript available, then it’s a boon. I feel especially irritated when there’s no visual aspect to the information being imparted, yet the information is wrapped in a video. I’ve disabled video play on my browser because my internet usage shoots through the roof even though I’ve not watched any videos . This is the other aspect to podcasts, a page of writing is less than a few kilobytes, where a podcast… (yes you can scoff, I cannot afford unlimited broadband)

As for equating a play, where it’s all about the performance – characters voices, their use of their voices and sound effects as well as the words – to a discourse, which is just words setting out unemotional thoughts and information with voice tone of little value – well it doesn’t make sense at all to me.

Hana Jinks

27th July 2019 at 10:08 am

Pom Prater. Smella Kneelin’. Brazen Lyers. What a line-up.

Winston Stanley

27th July 2019 at 7:24 am

LOL

“One proud lesbian. I’ll never give up fighting for human rights equality.”

Who ever said that trans have to be gay?

> Now Yaniv is bragging that her complaints led to the closure of a cosmetics store called Merle Norman, which is located in a Langley shopping mall.

>> “Jessica isn’t powerful”… well this business that I’m taking to the BC Human Rights Tribunal on Friday no longer exists at @MetropolisatMet after I let the landlord know about it.

Pru C

28th July 2019 at 10:03 pm

In some ways, this individual Mr Yaniv (he sometimes self declares as Jonathan), is outing the lunacy we seem to have been in the grip of with censure at it’s highest in a long while.

While I’m a fairly robust natured woman who’s not easily scared, the environment I’m now moving in day to day has become all the more fraught and open to danger.

At the motorway services recently a masculine, 5 o’clock shadowed ‘woman’ came into the ladies toilets. He was in a dress, obvious wig and wearing lipstick so that was OK was it? Fortunately I was about to exit. The thought occurred as I waited for my coffee order, that I should have stayed, given everyone else was in their cubicle. At 6’1″ he could have easily looked over the top of the cubicles if it floated his boat to do so or caught a 12 year old coming out of her cubicle unawares. Had I stood as a silent policewoman it might have prevented… fortunately he wasn’t in there long and self consciously strode out to the car park.

There’s a very serious a dark side to all of it and Yaniv is shining a light…

Martin Bishop

27th July 2019 at 2:14 am

It’s interesting how those claiming to be victim of something have their unproven claims repeated in the media, and the accused treated as automatically guilty for the purpose of political attack. It’s amazing how low some folks can get isn’t it?

27th July 2019 at 11:08 am

So many “professional” journalists simply repeat what they have he(a)rd, and their ability to do their job wouldn’t be affected one little bit if you pulled their eyes out and cut off their hands. Not that I am advocating such.

Credit to Spiked for giving voice to Ms Shepherd above (I hope I haven’t misnomered you Lindsay) and to Mr Darren Grimes elsewhere.
The very act of consenting to an interview is a risk for those so put upon as they are.

26th July 2019 at 10:02 pm

I very much agree with Fraser’s point that the present arrangement suit big business and that is a huge obstacle.

Boris Johnson is in a similar position to Jeremy Corbyn when he became leader. He faces open defiance in the Parliamentary Party. If, unlike Corbyn, he takes them on directly and urges the local constituency parties to reselect or deselect them ahead of a General Election, he could re-invigorate the party and go to the country for a then unquestionable mandate.