Why is CBBC trolling Brexiteers?

That Nish Kumar / Horrible Histories thing shows that Remoaners have won the culture war.

Tom Slater

Tom Slater
Deputy Editor

Trolling. That’s the only way to describe the decision by CBBC – that’s the kids’-TV wing of the BBC – to put out that Nish Kumar / Horrible Histories clip on Friday, as Leave voters celebrated Brexit Day. In it, Kumar – a liberal-left irritant and alleged comedian – bookends a skit from CBBC’s Horrible Histories series, in which Queen Victoria is schooled by her footman about where various bits of produce and clothing actually come from.

The clip begins with Kumar sarkily saying ‘Britain is striking out on its own and leaving Europe, goooo Britain!’, before the musical number, ‘British Things’, from a 2009 episode of Horrible Histories, begins. The song is premised on the idea that Queen Victoria has no idea that tea and sugar and cotton are not actually grown in Britain, and were acquired by Brits in less than ethical circumstances. The point presumably being to inform the young viewers of the history of slavery and colonial plunder.

There’s nothing wrong with that, but the skit is strange in a lot of other ways. As one tweeter has pointed out, the emphasis it puts on Victoria being ‘of foreign descent’ and on her husband, Prince Albert, being ‘a German’ sounds an unintentionally xenophobic note. (As if even royal immigrants can never truly become British.) Plus there is an implication here that the UK has never produced anything other than misery around the world, as if the Industrial Revolution or Magna Carta are footnotes in world history.

But what’s more strange is that CBBC felt it should weigh in on Brexit in the first place. The clip is from a nine-minute video on BBC iPlayer, in which Kumar tees up various European-related skits from Horrible Histories, intermingling them with snarky asides, all to mark Brexit Day. The clear intention is to nod to our alleged collective ignorance of our Europeanness (we’ve had German-born kings, you know!) and the folly of our departure from ‘Europe’ (even though we’ve only left the EU, which has existed since 1993).

Sure, this is all intended for kids. But that’s all the more reason to find the framing rather odd. Then, of course, there was the decision of CBBC to post the Queen Victoria bit on Twitter, a platform that is not exactly where the CBBC audience hangs out, alongside the words ‘British things… turns out there’s hardly any’. All on Brexit Day itself. Whether it was intentional or unintentional (I’m not sure which is worse), this was inevitably going to come off as a pop at us supposedly dumb, historically ignorant, Empire-apologist Brexit voters. And that’s precisely how it was received.

The BBC has not exactly covered itself in glory with its Brexit reporting. (Witness the BBC reporter vox-popping Brexiteers celebrating in Parliament Square on Friday night, asking them about why they thought it was a ‘very white crowd’.) There is nothing snowflakey about being irritated by our supposedly impartial, taxpayer-funded broadcaster routinely pouring scorn on more than half of the voting population. That even the kids’-TV department took Brexit Day as an opportunity to get some digs in shows how deep this unthinking, or perhaps unashamed, hostility to Brexit and Brexit voters runs.

But this bizarre case also tells us something about the Brexit wars in general. Namely, that while we Brexiteers won the political battle to have our vote implemented, we lost the cultural battle long ago. The narrative that Brexit is ugly and racist and driven by colonial nostalgia (against all the evidence to the contrary) was cast years back. And the doubling down of various elite Remainers in the wake of Brexit Day shows there is little reassessment going on even now. As Matthew Goodwin put it at the weekend, ‘while Leavers won the battle, Remainers could end up writing the history’. That really would be horrible.

Tom Slater is deputy editor at spiked. Follow him on Twitter: @Tom_Slater_

Picture by: YouTube.

Comments

Tony Benn

5th February 2020 at 11:28 am

I really don’t care that the BBC made this song, what I care about is the numerous inaccuracies in it and the fact children are being misled.

Victoria didn’t come to the throne until 1837, Great Britain abolished slavery in 1808 (before she was born) the Slavery Abolition Act came into force in 1834 and abolished slavery throughout the empire. Britain then ran the West Africa Squadron up until 1860 which freed some 160,000 slaves, not mentioning that is thoroughly dishonest.

Neil McCaughan

5th February 2020 at 11:16 am

Mr Kumar has a shovel-ready face.

Chris Dixon

4th February 2020 at 4:02 pm

Just a word of warning from over here in Ameriker. We don’t get taxed for our TVs and our “free market” news is just a skewed to the neoliberal left as the BBC. Ours is paid for by the ads purchased by global corporations. So, the programming must deliver a propaganda ROI in a addition to raw eyeballs. As least we are seeing the steady Balkanization of our news media thanks to patronized podcasts (Joe Rogan) and streaming outlets like The Young Turks.

Chris Dixon

4th February 2020 at 4:07 pm

Ha. I’ve a a loose a key on my keyboard!

Tony Benn

5th February 2020 at 11:29 am

That’s fine, people can turn off the Young Turks and their income will fall. In the UK you face a trial and imprisonment if you refuse to pay for the BBC.

Forlorn Dream

4th February 2020 at 12:57 pm

The British Brainwashing Corporation knows exactly what they’re doing when they target children with propaganda. Targeting children in this way is insidious and should be stopped immediately.
Brainwashing children today to have mindless and obedient slaves tomorrow is the hallmark of every evil organisation from the previous 100years or so.

jessica christon

4th February 2020 at 9:02 am

So todays news is about the licence fee increase. I don’t buy a licence, instead I send TV Licencing an email warning them not to contact me and they send a polite letter back saying that they will comply with my request for two years. Then I send the same email two years later when they resume contact. Remember, TVL agents have no more power than an ordinary person on the street; they can only come in to your home if you invite them, they must leave immediately when they’re asked to and you can easily formally withdraw their presumed right of access to stop them coming round in the first place. Here is the template email that I send every couple of years to ward them off, and you can also do this on behalf of others if you need to:

Dear TVL,

I do not require a television licence, as I do not receive or record live television broadcasts, nor am I watching BBC iPlayer. Despite this, I have received multiple letters from your organisation implying that I am committing a criminal offence.

Your employees, and agents acting on your behalf, may not call at my address.

This letter provides you with prior written warning that such a visit will constitute trespass and harassment, and that I am withdrawing the implied right of access to my property from your organisation and also from any agent(s) working on your behalf.

Please note that I am under no obligation to provide you with any of my details, including my name, and that since I am the legal occupier of this property I am entitled to withdraw your implied right of access.

This fact was confirmed by the BBC in June 2009 in response to FOI request RFI20090807. This response states that “TV Licensing does not legally require the name of an individual to action such a request”.

Yours sincerely,

The Legal Occupier of the following address:

Geoff Cox

4th February 2020 at 9:32 am

Well done Jessica. I haven’t had a TV (or paid a licence fee) for over 20 years. I used to do the letters to them, but now I feel it is my duty not to cooperate or comply with anything the BBC does or says. Therefore, their letter goes in the bin.

jessica christon

4th February 2020 at 10:53 am

Thanks Geoff. I think I’m getting to that stage soon too! Btw, I have great admiration for your namesake in government – an unsung hero of Brexit imo.

eli Bastenbury

4th February 2020 at 10:06 am

By stating that you ‘ formally withdraw their presumed right of access’ you allow them to take this to a magistrates court and ask for permission to gain a warrant to enter your property with the help of the police, I’d leave that part out of your e-mail imo.

jessica christon

4th February 2020 at 10:33 am

I see your point, but I’ll keep it as it is because I’ve been using it for around 10 years, and they can go to magistrates court regardless. Generally they don’t unless they’ve been threatened with violence because they’re basically opportunist, relying on scare campaigns and verbal intimidation of people who answer the door unaware that they can’t do anything without permission. They’re a legal racket.

Dan Behr

4th February 2020 at 12:46 pm

When you say with the help of the police, is it not the case that plod should only be there to intervene in the event of a beach of the peace, they shouldn’t even enter a garden unless they believe one is about to happen.

eli Bastenbury

6th February 2020 at 10:01 pm

Dan Behr to inforce the court order.

Dan Behr

14th February 2020 at 4:30 pm

They will not have a remit to enforce the court order, that will be the job of the parties involved most likely court appointed bailifs.

Andy Lewis

4th February 2020 at 8:53 am

The day after 10 Downing Street tries to limit which parts of the press they brief, those gallant guardians of free speech at Spiked want to focus on boo hooing over some clips from a kids TV programme.

4th February 2020 at 9:25 am

The limitations of Whitehall press briefing seem to go back some time (pre-Blair?) so you’re commemorating a non-event.
If there were counter-programming that balanced out the Kumar effort, then there’d be balance at the Beeb, but there isn’t, is there?
Which is why I agree with Spiked highlighting one more than the other.

T Hauxwell

4th February 2020 at 12:18 pm

All the lobby journalists received a briefing on the PM’s speech yesterday. A more detailed briefing was then scheduled for more senior political editors, which meant some lobby journalists got left out. The resultant mass flounce out by the BBC and ITV was pure political posturing as this type of briefing to a select few has been standard in Whitehall for years.

All this also comes only a week after those same establishment journalists tried to get writers from Guido banned from lobby briefings because Guido are much quicker at getting scoops than they are. So it’s OK to ban their digital competitors but not their chums on other traditional channels? They can’t have it both ways.

Andy Lewis

4th February 2020 at 8:47 am

Practice what you preach. It’s comedy. If you don’t like it don’t laugh.

A regular punchbag on Spiked is that group of perpetually offended people who complain about this and that. Now we have a bunch of people on here doing exactly that.

If you don’t like the BBC, you can stop paying. You don’t have to have a TV. Content other than the BBC is available online.

SNJ Morgan

4th February 2020 at 1:13 am

I don’t understand why Conservative governments don’t put the BBC on the market -within an hour of gaining office.

We have the same problem in Australia with ‘our’ ABC, which is nothing but a propaganda organ for the far left. But our Liberal government just takes it, and takes it, and takes it – mostly up the backside now.

it’s like they’re all trapped in a Stockholm like syndrome, where they adore and worship their abusers.

Philip Humphrey

4th February 2020 at 7:39 am

I rather suspect they still fear the dead hand of the old establishment and leftist pressure/protests groups that would go completely berserk if the BBC were to be privatized and made an optional subscription service (like they did over brexit). A pity really, I think the government would have most of the public behind them and it could be done.

4th February 2020 at 1:26 pm

I like your ‘SKY News Australia’ channel, I subscribe to it on YTube another good site.

SNJ Morgan

5th February 2020 at 9:04 am

Yes – it seems to be a lot more balanced than the UK version.

Jenny Clarke

10th February 2020 at 4:52 pm

It is to be hoped none of you listen to local radio, which is produced by the BBC, buy tickets for the Promendade Concerts, produced by the BBC, or use the online services etc. I like the license fee, it means everyone contributes and therefore has a right to criticise and comment – just as you have. I wish to say that Ido not always like what the BBC says and does but getting rid of it is not the solution. The solution is for it to return to its remit, which was to educate,inform and entertain rather than chasing ratings. It might also stop recruiting exclusively from Oxbridge and Russell Group universities and the privately educated. But to privatize it is an act of vandalism on the level of the Tudor reformers burning medieval manuscripts. Or do you like the mush that turns up on the other 100 or so channels, with their ten minutes (minimum) of adverts? I don’t. And to balance the books: Sky is just as anti-Brexit as the BBC. The presenter of All Out Politics routinely shows contempt for Brexit and Brexiteers, for example, so why are you not complaining about that?

Paul Carlin

3rd February 2020 at 11:14 pm

The names of those responsible should be sought and published. We can then be on guard for their future output, red pencils at the ready on their favourite soshul-meeja platforms.

cliff resnick

3rd February 2020 at 10:49 pm

“a liberal-left irritant and alleged comedian”. Ouch! best line of the week so far!

Mark Williams

3rd February 2020 at 10:38 pm

‘while Leavers won the battle, Remainers could end up writing the history’.

This began the day after the referendum. I’ve spoken to so many people who believe the referendum result only happened because of Murdoch; ignorant, uneducated people outside London who ‘didn’t know what they were voting for”; racists, etc.

Trying to explain to these people the concerns of sovereignty and democracy is impossible. Even explaining that the EU Commission (unelected, accountable dweebs) introduces new legislation, not MEPs, is a waste of time.

Michael Lynch

3rd February 2020 at 9:17 pm

This tosser is really starting to get up my nose now. Why doesn’t he just keep his mouth shut now the argument is done. However, change is afoot at the Beeb albeit tiny. Nigel Farage was on Marr’s sofa on Sunday morning. When reviewing the Daily Mail’s coverage of Adonis and Campbell’s childish refusal to take the 50p Brexit coin, Farage said it was a nice change for the media to be calling others looneys and fruitcakes. Marr actually said at the end of the paper review section that were definitely no looneys and fruitcakes on the sofa that morning. Although I suspect Marr was a Remainer even he now realizes that the debate is over. He understands that the public have overwhelmingly rejected a Second Referendum or Revoke position and that there’s no point in raking over old coals. The Beeb are going to have to cater to the general view now or they’ll be simply put out of business.

3rd February 2020 at 8:54 pm

What the BC says about itself “The BBC’s impartial news, current affairs and ­factual programming aims to help audiences understand political activity and raise awareness on ­important issues affecting society . . . We aim to engage audiences in social responsibility and what it means to be part of a civil society.”

John Kemp

3rd February 2020 at 8:10 pm

“The point presumably being to inform the young viewers of the history of slavery and colonial plunder. There’s nothing wrong with that,… ”

Oh but I beg to differ. Britain paid out a huge amount of money to buy the freedom of every slave throughout the British empire, we were still paying the bill until 2015, 182 years! Yes the empire was based on trade, so was everyone else’s empire/colonies. It was not based on conquest and it makes me laugh when folks criticise it now as if taking the empire out of its historical context has any meaning at all. That’s like giving the French a hard time over Napoleon or the Italians a hard time over Caesar. In its context, the British Empire was a force for good not evil. Pax Britannica was a real thing which averted war and saved countless lives.

John Little

3rd February 2020 at 8:05 pm

The b+++++ds haven’t won any culture war with me or millions like me! My riposte to them is and always will be, “shove it jack”. The most basic verbal insults are all they warrant.

Tim Wheeler

3rd February 2020 at 6:40 pm

It’s why The Beeb has lost the confidence & support of loyal and committed long term fans like me. I’m just not prepared to put up with dumbed-down, blatantly one-sided political coverage. They are currently a disgrace to the memories of the past greats such as Charles Wheeler, Alistair Cooke, & Steve Hewlett. Their current front line journos are pygmies compared with those names.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

3rd February 2020 at 6:36 pm

Maybe they’re just expressing an opinion that diverges slightly from yours. That is how democracy works. You don’t like it — suck it up.

Phil Ford

3rd February 2020 at 6:42 pm

Fine, but don’t force me to pay for it if I don’t want it. Why is this so difficult to understand? ‘Programme choice’ and ‘quality’ mean nothing if the BBC is hiding behind legal means to demand payment from everyone, regardless, and criminalising those who simply wish not to be menaced by bullies.

Michael Lynch

3rd February 2020 at 9:03 pm

The BBC service is paid for by the public and in return we expect objectivity it’s news coverage not political opinion. That’s not democratic.

Paul Carlin

3rd February 2020 at 11:23 pm

No, that’s not how democracy works. The BBC is supposed to be impartial; it should not hold an institutional political opinion, and it emphatically not express one which clearly runs counter to the voiced opinion of the nation.

Tony Benn

5th February 2020 at 11:18 am

This is a history show, not an opinion one. The BBC should at least be accurate, which in this case it clearly wasn’t

3rd February 2020 at 6:12 pm

They just can’t help themselves. Their whole world view based on the idea they are better than us has been shattered. They are always searching for an outlet for their sulking.

Tony Morris

3rd February 2020 at 5:40 pm

There is no “culture war”, really.

I find Would I Lie to You? hilarious whereas some other people might take a different view.

What there is countless hours of content created by hundreds of thousands of individuals and production companies, nearly all hoping to make a living from their careers in the arts/media/creative industries.

Put it this way: right wing Brits can never “win” a “culture war” that ends with “the telly now only shows stuff what everyone sane like me thinks – at last, there’s no more feminist comedians talking about periods and never again will anyone have to listen to a black man pontificating about the slave trade from the comfort of his 600k Bristol apartment”.

Phil Ford

3rd February 2020 at 5:47 pm

Fair point – but why should anyone be forced by law to pay for it, if they decide they’d rather not watch or listen to any of it?

And, just to be cheeky, I’m going to offer an answer to my own question: Both Netflix and Amazon provide ‘quality’ programming, aside from the usual commercial fare (two examples: ‘First they Killed My Father’ and Ken Burns multi-part Vietnam documentary), so the argument that ‘only’ the BBC can provide selective viewing for niche sections of the viewing public is just not true. I don’t see any case for the retention of the license fee in this new digital broadcasting era in which so many other commercial players are offering equal (or better) programming.

3rd February 2020 at 6:13 pm

There is a culture war in the minds of Remoaners. It has one premise: we are morally superior to you.

a watson

3rd February 2020 at 7:04 pm

The middle class imagine and their friends in the Labor party/BBC imagine that they own culture and history. They hate it when someone disagrees with that view, especially if they are intelligent with a working class accent. There is a culture war – the middle class hilariously claim they, and only they, have it. They can’t win, but as they have already demonstrated, will not accept this.

Fred Mutton

3rd February 2020 at 5:36 pm

What’s it got to do with him??

Phil Ford

3rd February 2020 at 5:23 pm

That ‘long, slow march through the institutions’ continues, regardless, just as it has done since the end of WWII – and always within the BBC. The Corporation doesn’t even pretend at ‘impartiality’: for many years now it has openly talked of what it calls (and despite its Chartered obligations) ‘due impartiality’. Think about that. I take it to mean the BBC gets to decide, on its own terms (and, again, regardless of its formal obligations) what is and what isn’t worthy of its own re-definition of ‘impartiality’. https://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines/guidelines/impartiality

You can see how this works on the issue of climate change. The BBC has long had a policy of not platforming the views of even the most qualified scientist if those views happen to run counter to the approved narrative on climate change. On the other hand, the Corporation thinks nothing of inviting an unqualified school-dodging 16-year-old ‘climate advocate’ to ‘guest edit’ its flagship morning current affairs radio programme ‘Today’.

What are we to make of this? My view is that the BBC should finally be defunded and given the opportunity to turn itself over to the free market as a private subscription service. Why should I – and people like myself – be forced (by law, and with menaces) to fund a broadcaster I don’t watch or listen to, which doesn’t speak to me, or about the things I care about and, in fact, does all it can in sly, underhanded sneering fashion, to belittle my world outlook?

Geoff Cox

3rd February 2020 at 5:34 pm

Stop paying the license fee – go on, you know you can do it.

(I stopped about 20 years ago and chucked out the TV at the same time).

Philip Humphrey

3rd February 2020 at 5:08 pm

Horrible Histories has form. There was an episode on the crusades. It depicted a mad pope declaring a war on peace loving Muslims for no good reason. Apart from the complete ignorance of the history leading up to the crusades and what really happened (and what followed), most of it was just lazy stereotyping and anti catholic and anti western prejudice, perpetrating a long debunked myth that is nevertheless still popular with people who should know better.
It’s pretty unsubtle, but of course it is dressed as a humorous children’s programme designed to make them fond of history.

Tony TonyToe

3rd February 2020 at 5:07 pm

Good gosh, you lot really are so very easily triggered. Imagine if it had been a vaguely pro-brexit message – and, in amongst the ensuing hoo-haa the Guardian had got their knickers in a twist, branding such a message as inappropriate. You’d have been falling over yourselves to tub-thump about such humourlessness and censoriousness. Why aren’t you celebrating this clear example of free speech? Why does illiberal snowflakery only exist on the remain axis? Why must you be such monumental hypocrites?

Geoff Cox

3rd February 2020 at 5:20 pm

Tony, we are like this because the BBC has a long, long, long, long, long history of anti-Brexit, anti-white, anti-cis, and anti Brit cultural. This is just the latest. Read a book on why / how the BBC is biased and you will see where we are coming from.

As an aside, I note the only socialist friend I have left thinks Horrible Histories is a great programme and sends me clips from time to time … now why would that be?

Tony TonyToe

3rd February 2020 at 5:35 pm

What a strange conspiracy filled world you must live in to find a kids history programme threatening. Do you hear voices in your head? There is no state sponsored anti-British conspiracy. It’s just content you disagree with. Calm down.

Geoff Cox

3rd February 2020 at 6:17 pm

Tony – it’s not a conspiracy. The BBC are biased against Brexit, against the US, against Israel, anti-English and Englishness and pro all the wokery you can think of. It is not just the guests they choose to interview or ask to present TV programmes, it is the way they present subjects and frame the debate. But worse than all that are the lies they propagate as truth on news and current affairs programmes.

Tony TonyToe

3rd February 2020 at 6:27 pm

That’s nonsense. The BBC has no institutional bias. It is the product of thousands of individual voices – mainly working for independent production companies (thanks to Mrs Thatcher). That couldn’t be more true in Children’s Programming, I can assure you. What you see as bias is simply content that you disagree with. No one has the right not to be challenged or offended by the bbc.

4th February 2020 at 9:32 am

“The BBC has no institutional bias.”
Until recently, Tony, I would have agreed with you. Not any more.

Geoff Cox

4th February 2020 at 7:30 am

Tony – why did the BBC re-write A Christmas Carol? Answer to make it fit their woke agenda – oh sorry that should read to “make it more relevant to today’s viewer”!

Everywhere the good guys are woman, gays or ethnic minorities – the villain always cis white male. Death in Paradise is an early case in points – all the murderers are white, mostly men. In about 30 episodes there has been one black murderer … yes, you guessed it, in revenge for slavery.

Then there is the political interviewing:

BBC to remainer “Now you say Brexit will leave us all worse off, how is that so?”
BBC to UKIP “Now UKIP is a racist Party isn’t it?”

Then the BBC will claim they have been fair because they had two people on to give each side of the story – except that the UKIP interview was taken up by denials that UKIP is a racist party.

It’s all here if you want to read about it http://news-watch.co.uk/civitas-paper-lays-bare-18-years-of-bbc-anti-brexit-bias/ or as I said up top, buy a book on the subject and look at the techniques employed.

Tony TonyToe

4th February 2020 at 8:07 am

Gosh Steve. You’re getting quite worked up over the ethnicity of some fictional murderers. Calm down mate.

Geoff Cox

4th February 2020 at 9:28 am

Ah I see! It’s Geoff by the way and perhaps I’ve been the victim of feeding a troll. I’ll not bother in future.

a watson

3rd February 2020 at 5:06 pm

The BBC appears to be encouraging racial conflict. Now and for future generations. As a pensioner with a small fixed income why do I have to pay twelve pounds monthly to subsidise this monstrous middle class gravy train?

Simon C

3rd February 2020 at 5:04 pm

Nish Kumar comes across as one of those descendants of Indian immigrants who look down on those from their ancestral home. They think they’re now in the ‘elite’ and somehow better than those their family left behind, and once they’re in want to pull the drawbridge up on any others coming in. The fact that he supports a trading bloc who’s rules on foreign labour and freedom of movement forces its members to discriminate against (mostly non-white) non-EU citizens in favour of (mostly white) Europeans just confirms this.

I believe they call it internalised racism these days. There used to be a TV show called Good Gracious Me that too the mick out of stereotypes like Kumar.

steven brook

3rd February 2020 at 9:31 pm

Whenever I see Nish Kumar I think of Pakistani rape gangs ( sorry for taking your joke about hipsters Nish)

jessica christon

3rd February 2020 at 4:03 pm

I like all this stuff, the £700k payout for the female presenter last month they had the nerve to present as if it were a victory for ordinary women, this Nish Kumar Brexit day post, all of it. It shows the BBC is so completely captured by the ID left that it doesn’t feel the wind change.

Brexit happened because the benefits to EU membership weren’t felt widely enough in the general population, and the BBC with it’s licence fee model is fast going in the same direction – for the same reasons – if it continues propounding these type of anti British, anti Brexit voter woke views and disparaging a majority of the country while it does so. More people now than ever don’t believe there is any justification for the licence fee, and it won’t be long until we reach a tipping point.

John Kemp

3rd February 2020 at 8:18 pm

“Brexit happened because the benefits to EU membership weren’t felt widely enough in the general population…”

Jessica, there aren’t any true benefits to EU membership which is why they had to run a negative campaign.

James E Shaw

3rd February 2020 at 3:54 pm

Spiked has been just as guilty about being condescending about anti-Brexit protesters. This, from an article about a People’s Vote march by Luke Gittos back in October 2018.

“The marchers I spoke to seemed conflicted about what should be on the ballot paper in any ‘People’s Vote’. Campbell argued in a TV interview that the choice should be between Theresa May’s deal and Remain, meaning that Hard Brexit would be taken completely off the table. He always has our best interests at heart.”

“A big reason I was won over was the placards. As we assembled in London’s Mayfair, a working-class Leave voting stronghold, of course, I was blown away by the level of banner bantz. Say what you like about avid Remainers, but they know how to pun. ‘Don’t EU want me baby’, one placard read, accompanied by a picture of Rick Astley. One simply read: ‘Lettuce Romaine.’ Fantastic. It is these kinds of placards that will win over disenchanted Leave voters, who are known for their love of middle-class, salad-based humour.”

See here: – https://www.spiked-online.com/2018/10/22/the-peoples-vote-march-changed-my-mind-on-brexit/

I’m not saying some of the Remain rhetoric about working class Brexiteers hasn’t been condescending. But, since I have been on at least fice People’s Vote marches (and would do so again), the fact that people like this were present should be a reminder that maggots do not infect healthy bodies. https://twitter.com/brianwhelanhack/status/1223388595723165697

James E Shaw

3rd February 2020 at 3:57 pm

I accidentally pressed Post Comment; this is what I meant to write in my final paragraph.

But the fact that people like this were present in Parliament Square last Friday night should be a reminder that maggots do not infect healthy bodies. https://twitter.com/brianwhelanhack/status/1223388595723165697

I have been on at least five People’s Vote marches (and would do so again) and have no memory of seeing people behave like this or of hearing reports that they did.

3rd February 2020 at 3:23 pm

Nice to see the BBC digging its own grave. Remoan not only delivered brexit they will deliver the British from the most malign institution in the country. Many thanks.

David J

3rd February 2020 at 3:22 pm

I doubt that the BBC will exist in its present form for long.
Hall has already gone, the licence tax is on the way out, and once that happens the BBC’s cultural grip is likely to slacken quickly.
Likewise, using the Guardian for more than 80 percent of BBC recruitment surely has to stop, this alone widening the gene pool of new talent.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

3rd February 2020 at 6:38 pm

Don’t worry, soon there will be no more opposition and the Faragist take-over of the UK will be complete!

Jenny Clarke

10th February 2020 at 4:55 pm

When the BBC is gone, good luck with getting any other broadcaster to fund the largest classical music festival in the world. Or produce programming you actually might be able to watch without ten minutes of adverts between the bits.

steve moxon

3rd February 2020 at 2:54 pm

The Boob has oikophobic bigot scumbags in every nook and cranny — as I found when I became an immigration ‘whistle-blower’ back in 2004: some producers, sub-editors, journalists and presenters can be personally nasty (for example, the former producer of R4’s The Moral Maze; a sub-editor on Newsnight; Simon Mayo).
Brexit was a battle, part of the war which won’t be finished until every bit of the Left’s ‘identity politics’ hate-mongering backlash against ‘the workers’ [sic] (working-class ‘white’ heterosexual men) has a stake through its rotten heart and buried in quicklime. Until then, the divide of which Brexit is a symptom will be an ever growing chasm leading to civil war. Nothing less will do than the annihilation of the extreme bogus notions of racism, sexism, ‘homophobia’, xenophobia, and also anthropogenic climate change — the supposed cataclysm brought on by the reproducing lower hordes: those ‘workers’ again. The ‘identity politics’ totalitarians are going to betray themselves for the rabid monsters they are, the better to ensure their own comeuppance, when they finally have to face up to the fact that they can’t any longer escape the real world by self-fulfilling prophecy.

Bella Donna

3rd February 2020 at 3:24 pm

Well said Steve. I just wished these Brit haters would pack up and leave!

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

3rd February 2020 at 6:37 pm

You won’t be happy until you’ve crushed all opposition, will you? Bit fascist, eh?

steve moxon

3rd February 2020 at 7:13 pm

WE are the the opposition; ‘identity politics’ totalitarianism is the more recent guise of bastardisation of Marxism or ‘fascism’, if you will.

John Kemp

3rd February 2020 at 8:13 pm

…agreed. They can go and live in EUtopia if they want.

Willie Penwright

3rd February 2020 at 2:44 pm

Like a retreating army destroying food supplies, the remoaner commentators are trying to sabotage the economy in the hope of bringing down Boris and the new government. A quick flick at their reports/comments on Boris’s first joust with the EU today is the evidence.
The battle for an independent Britain is only beginning.

3rd February 2020 at 3:28 pm

Remoan now have to convince foreigners that contrary to what they think , the Dec 2019 General Election result is in fact a portender of major instability and upheaval.
Remoan are already publicly dismayed at the upturn in the housing market.

Simon C

3rd February 2020 at 5:44 pm

As a leave voter in rented accommodation and virtually no assets to my name I’m publicly dismayed at the upturn in the housing market. In fact I never had to bother with Boris and his bus, pretty much everything remain campaigned with in 2016 (“boo-hoo stock market crash”, “boo-hoo house price crash”) was every reason I needed to vote leave. And now it’s 2020 the FTSE is 20% higher and houses are becoming even more unaffordable. Bloody remoan lying bastards 😉

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

3rd February 2020 at 6:46 pm

On the contrary, as a homeowner I am absolutely delighted with the upturn in the housing market lol

4th February 2020 at 9:36 am

“as a homeowner I am absolutely delighted with the upturn in the housing market ”

I wonder why. You’ll only obtain any increase if you sell your home, and whatever you buy will also have increased in price.
And none of it is good news for those who can’t even get a foothold on the property ladder.

4th February 2020 at 1:27 pm

VEN OODs
If you downsize in an increasing house market value, you will gain, if you upsize you will lose.

Steve Gray

3rd February 2020 at 2:24 pm

History is written by struggle, not by Strategic Managers in W1A .

Tony TonyToe

3rd February 2020 at 5:54 pm

Fictional Strategic Managers don’t write Horrible Histories either. Freelance comedy writers do. Are they part of the anti-white conspiracy too?

C J

3rd February 2020 at 6:38 pm

And who chooses which freelance writers end up getting airtime? Strategic Managers do. So, the answer to question is (by extension) yes, though it’s not a conspiracy but a cultural elite.

Tony TonyToe

3rd February 2020 at 7:35 pm

CJ – no, Non-existent Strategic Managers don’t hire writers for children’s programmes. They will be hired by the (probably freelance) producer who will be working for Lion TV, the independent production company that makes Horrible Histories.

Steve Gray

3rd February 2020 at 11:05 pm

TonyTonyTonyetc and Zenobia,

Your suggestion that I’m one of those ‘anti-white conspiracy’ people is amusing. Tell you what, just for you, next time I see one passing by, I’ll take ’em on.

That’s unless you get in there first, eh ?

The Killgrave

4th February 2020 at 1:47 am

Who approves the freelancers scripts Tone?

Thor Halland

4th February 2020 at 3:33 am

You do realise you have ZERO weight here. Its quite obvious you are a pathetic shill for the BBC.

We have every right to object if a public body, funded by a tax eschews impartiality.

Oh and I think the indoctrination of youth is very worrysome

Tony TonyToe

4th February 2020 at 8:05 am

I’m not shilling for the BBC. Ha. The very thought. I’m just giving you some insight that political bias or ‘indoctrination’ plays no role in the creation of children’s entertainment. But, you know, carry on seeing conspiracy everywhere if that’s what gives you wood.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

3rd February 2020 at 6:37 pm

Dein Kampf, Steve? I can only imagine how you must have struggled throughout your life…

Steve Gray

4th February 2020 at 2:04 am

You do an awful lot of imagining, don’t you Zenobia ?