The end of Remain

The people have defeated the anti-democrats, and that’s really worth celebrating.

Brendan O'Neill

Brendan O'Neill
Editor

Topics Brexit Politics UK

One by one they have fallen. They’ve admitted defeat – to varying degrees – and vacated the battlefield that they dominated for so long. Michael Heseltine was one of the first. ‘We’ve lost’, said the Tory arch-Remainer. ‘Brexit is going to happen.’

Tony Blair was close behind. Labour should now accept the referendum result, he says, which is ridiculous given he has been at the forefront of the anti-democratic campaign to stop Brexit for the past three years. The People’s Vote movement has fallen apart. Poor Femi will now have to get a job. And even their queen – that moneyed legal agitator against the people’s will, Gina Miller – has realised that the rich cannot thwart democracy forever. As one headline puts it: ‘Gina Miller FINALLY admits Brexit is happening.’

Of course it’s possible we haven’t heard the last of these people. After all, they have devoted the last three years of their lives to ensuring that the dumb, racist electorate, as they view us, doesn’t get its way. It will be hard for them to give up the drug of anti-democracy. Miller is now indicating that she will do everything she can to ensure we have a soft Brexit. She has to spend her money somehow, I guess.

And yet it definitely feels like the end of Remain. It feels as though the most elitist and explicitly anti-democratic movement of modern British times has been done away with. And, best of all, it has been done away with by housewives in Wrexham, former miners in Blyth Valley, cab drivers in Blackpool South, and millions of other ordinary people who make up the demos. The defeat of Remain is proof of the power and wisdom and immeasurable importance of democracy.

Boris Johnson’s electoral victory is really two stories wrapped in one. First there’s the fact that a Conservative government has been voted into power. Will it do good or ill? Let’s see. But the second, more pressing, more exciting story is that in voting for Boris, millions of people, especially those in Labour’s long-held seats in the ‘red wall’ parts of Wales and England, have signalled their continuing desire to make Brexit happen and restated their belief in self-government. They haven’t only voted for Boris – they have also revolted in vast numbers and with clear intent against the entitled and often hysterical elites who have done so much to try to reverse the gains of democracy.

We have witnessed, at the end of 2019, the wisdom of the crowd. It is fashionable in woke and leftish circles, and in many right-wing and libertarian circles too, to be sniffy about the masses. They’re xenophobic. They are too swayed by tabloid nonsense. They’re obsessed with stupid stuff like celebrity. They didn’t know what they were voting for in 2016. Or more sympathetically – but just as sneeringly – they are sad and depressed and ‘left behind’ and they only voted for Brexit as a cry for help. So let’s help them.

The people have rejected all of that. They have rejected the unhinged warnings from on high that Brexit will be an existential nightmare for the UK. They have rejected the constant slurs about how dumb they were to vote Leave. They have rejected the Corbynista left’s Victorian-level paternalism and its promise to assist the tragic and hungry people in those crap, falling-down towns outside of London. (‘Our towns aren’t so bad’, was no doubt the reply many a plummy Corbynista received when they went door-knocking in the North.) The demos rejected it all and said: ‘We still want self-government, thanks.’

What this demonstrates, so clearly, is that the hysteria is not in the crowd – it’s in the elite. It is the well-educated formers of opinion and holders of power who have lost the plot. It is the tens of thousands of middle-class anti-Brexit Londoners who marched for a second referendum and those historically illiterate university graduates who shouted ‘Stop the coup!’ when Boris only prorogued parliament for longer than normal. It is these people who have displayed an alarming dearth of wisdom.

It is they who jettisoned reason. Who engaged in a hare-brained politics of fear. Who warned of outbursts of super-gonorrhea if we leave the EU. Who stocked food for the coming hell. Who had nightmares about a Cormac McCarthy-style dystopian future in which we would all reminisce about the pre-Brexit era of plentiful food and medicine. Their education did not protect them from a descent into unreason. Their supposed progressive virtue was no guard against an unfounded and life-distorting sense of dread. They were in the centre – the centre of power, the centre of influence, the centre of debate – and yet they fell into a despair that was utterly bereft of sense.

Others did not. In Darlington, the Vale of Clwyd, Don Valley, they did not. And it is clear why: there is greater wisdom in the crowd than there is in the atomised communities the elites tend to live in. There is more balance and reason among those who live in society in a real way – who travel and work and socialise with ordinary people every day – than there is among those who self-consciously separate themselves from the masses and from public sentiment. The jaundiced views of cut-off elites, distant bureaucrats and paternalistic leftists were countered in this election by the common sense and self-respect of the general public – and that is really worth celebrating.

So Remain has lost. It has been defeated. No longer can they use their unequal wealth and influence to thwart the democratic will. The people have seen to that. But something else has been defeated too, or we should hope it has: the downbeat, dystopian, fearful cynicism about the ability of Britain to run its own affairs and the ability of ordinary Britons to make up their own minds. If Boris wants to hold on to his army of working-class, reasoned, sensible voters, he should push a message of positivity, democracy and rationality.

Brendan O’Neill is editor of spiked and host of the spiked podcast, The Brendan O’Neill Show. Subscribe to the podcast here. And find Brendan on Instagram: @burntoakboy

Comments

Dominic Campbell

31st December 2019 at 3:11 pm

I do hope that the forces of Remainia have finally been vanquished, but I know that they would stop at nothing to negate the people’s verdict. Only when a stake has been driven through their hearts can we be sure that they will no longer trouble us. These people must be ejected from all positions of power and influence. Brexit is but the beginning of a war to restore the rule of common sense.

John Marks

25th December 2019 at 7:23 pm

Remain have been taught the lesson of not to ignore the people’s vote (the 2016 referendum).
The SNP have yet to learn it, still ignoring the 2014 referendum.

Black Eyes

25th December 2019 at 11:37 pm

Correct.

George Esprit

26th December 2019 at 7:38 am

Including myself, you may not live to see in the future ahead that, the UK made the perfectly correct decision to exit from the EU. Prophetically, I believe that Brussel may have a diabolical future hidden agenda to unleash upon its members. Those States which chosen to remain in the Block, may well regret their decisions but it may be too late to get out! Those nations will be trapped! The UK has escaped by the electorate giving the Conservatives a resounding victory and put to death the vile sabotage plan of Remain to stop Brexit! I believe that a divine intervention played a hand in the crushing defeat of the oppositions.

David Alanson

27th December 2019 at 3:28 pm

Yes true

JP Edwards

24th December 2019 at 12:57 pm

The people haven’t just defeated Establishment Remainers, they have crushed them.
Amazing how a GE with one party advocating giving effect to a democratic mandate can silence so many anti-democrats.

TrappedInTheOffSide .

27th December 2019 at 8:47 pm

It’s not anti democratic to change your mind, or have a different opinion. Only the most ignorant would believe otherwise.

Marvin Jones

24th December 2019 at 10:09 am

I think that these blatant and rabid ignoramuses who believe their wealth can still somehow keep throwing spanners in our Brexit mission. There is a lot for Boris to do to achieve victory, but how do we silence these remain vermin enough to know the meaning of the simple words “YOU LOST!”

Major Major Major

24th December 2019 at 3:22 am

It must pain BON to read through the utter lunacy and dumb reaction in the comments section from supposed fans.

Major Major Major

24th December 2019 at 2:32 am

Hark at BON here – the exquisite irony of him punditsplaining to the spike-reading masses that he knows what the “housewives in Wrexham, former miners in Blyth Valley, cab drivers in Blackpool South” think.

“as THEY view US”, he says – “they” being the remoaning elitist “agitators against the people’s will”.

I was born into a working class family in a working class region of the Midlands. I ain’t no liberal elitist, nor are any of those I grew up with.
A shed load of us didn’t vote Tory or Leave.

The 48% who voted Remain ain’t elitist.
The 54% who voted AGAINST Brexit parties in the GE aren’t elitist.
Most people who didn’t vote aren’t elitist either.
(It’d be a big f— off elite if they were!)

So quit your slurring of over half the population please.

BON is no idiot, which only leaves propagandist.

He knows ex-public schoolboys like Farage, Johnson, Mogg, IDS, most Leave supporting Tory MPs are elitist. He is fully aware that the owners of all the leave supporting papers that dominate the media landscape are billionaire non-doms. Tufton Street? Lobbyists? He knows the score.

I wonder what these salt-of-the-earth representatives of the “will of the people” want.

To ban zero hours contracts as two-thirds of voters want according to a recent poll?
To maintain and enhance workers’ rights as under EU legislation, as 73% of voters want?
To raise the minimum wage as 68% of voters want?
To raise taxes on high earners as 68% of voters want?
To raise taxes generally in order to maintain decent public services as 59% of voters want?

Will newly self-appointed “man-of-the-people” BON be championing these causes? (All of which have more support than Brexit or Johnson.)

Neil McCaughan

24th December 2019 at 2:23 pm

Go on. Spit out that dummy. It’s all you have left.

24th December 2019 at 5:50 pm

Long post.. unfortunately it bares no relationship to reality!

Fred Mutton

23rd December 2019 at 10:45 am

Ahem! May I just mention another fella?
Farage, a political giant.
Single-handedly he took on Europe and won.
The last twice it took armies to do the same job.
He shoved a brake on the one world government agenda.
He beat the bankers, Soros, Brussels, a toxic media, the Scots SNP, cheap politicians forming a fifth column in Westminster, the elite gravy suckers, socialist tutors and the unmentionables behind most world unrest.
Not bad for one man.
We need a patch on the White Cliffs for a bloody great statue that will be seen from Calais.
Or is he too English?

Andy Day

24th December 2019 at 3:58 am

I agree Fred. If we are going to insist on having a ludicrously archaic institution called the House of Lords and there’s a chance that the arch Remainer, Bercow, has a chance of getting a seat in this place then we should balance that up with an arch Leaver such as Farage. I doubt that without his vision, drive and determination Britain would still be part of an organisation that would have Sir Humphrey Appleby salivating.

Marvin Jones

24th December 2019 at 10:16 am

Nigel is everything you say, and the architect of this eventual victory over these despotic imbeciles
who believe that their money is the barrier to losing to the peasants too ignorant to know what we were voting for. He should be put in the HOL just to stick their noses in the sewers, and find a way to demolish this mob of scrounging cadavers from inside.

Black Eyes

25th December 2019 at 11:49 pm

Mr Farage and his Party did it. And bloody well he did.
This man has written history by starting to break down the communist club in Brussels.

My compliments to Mr Farage, Mr Irsonside.
Not a place in Guiness Record Book but indeed a statue on the Cliffs of Dover.
To remind the Remainers and Soros’s European Parliment and EU Commission and EU Council what a flock of sheep they are.
Do also remember these Remainers who suddenly changed course and agree with Leave.
These are alleged traitors to “the British struggle for Freedom and getting back their country”.

Forlorn Dream

20th January 2020 at 1:04 pm

Farage is a small axe cutting down a big big tree. I believe history will eventually recognise Farage as a selfless visionary who never gave up. He made it his mission to have his own extremely well paid job made obsolete.

That said I wouldn’t want a carving of Farage on the White Cliffs. I’d much rather we sent a couple of astronauts to the moon with paint and a stencil. Let’s have them paint, ‘f**k off EU, with love from the UK’. Let’s have it large enough to read with the naked eye every full moon.

William Clark

22nd December 2019 at 6:42 pm

Spot on. As a GP working in the NHS I had to deal with a very average group of 2000+ people and I was left with a pretty good grasp of individuals and our society by the end of my 30 or more years in the job. And I was truly humbled by my experience. What impressed me was the sheer toughness and resilience of the average member of our society, and how they overcame the many problems that life throws at us. Furthermore, they were more than capable of spotting humbug for what it is. So you are right. Noone should write off our population as they have been for the last three years.

Jill W

21st December 2019 at 7:56 pm

Over the past 3 years, the defenders of democracy were on the back foot, whichever platform. Tom Slater, Brendan O’Neill and others held on to their principles, their nerve.
However, James Thomas’ comment below alerts me that we all, however we voted, play a part in resetting the tone, starting with our leaders.
Neither sulking nor gloating allowed, I hope the division is not entrenched and the adrenalin is not running too high. We have all experienced some disappointments throughout this extended drama. But it is the injured you have to watch.

Geoff Cox

22nd December 2019 at 11:33 am

I agree, and I didn’t like the Brexit Party singing “I wish you a merry Brexit” in the EU Parliament. It’s very poor indeed. But it shows how dumbed down our politics has become.

Fred Mutton

23rd December 2019 at 10:48 am

We are having a Brexit dinner this week
It’s the same as Christmas dinner but without any Brussels.

Marvin Jones

24th December 2019 at 9:51 am

WHY? why are you people so sentimental? just think how much the other side tried with all their forces and might to grind our democratic choice into the sewage, imagine the total disrespect and hatred for us imbeciles who didn’t vote the right way? This is why this country is such a magnet for terrorists and the worst criminals of the planet, because of soft hearted lambs like yourself.

TrappedInTheOffSide .

21st December 2019 at 6:23 pm

The electorate is as dumb as FUCK!!!. And quite a fair bit of it is racist. (Not all, and quite a bit less than half) otherwise they wouldn’t buy the sun or the daily mail would they? It’s not their fault they are programmed that way. Ignorant corporation fodder, subservient to privileged ex public school boys. I can’t understand why this is so difficult to see?

J Chilton

21st December 2019 at 7:57 pm

Because it’s not true.

TrappedInTheOffSide .

22nd December 2019 at 6:57 pm

Would love you to supply evidence of my hypothesis.

David Margison

22nd December 2019 at 9:44 am

I notice your not confident enough to use your real name! But then maybe I wouldn’t if I had your antidemocratic biased views. My father was an Overlooker in a mill, my mother a twister in the same mill, I went to probably the worst comprehensive school in Halifax (now closed). Like all my friends I was factory fodder, so I suspect that I am who you are talking about. Those modest beginings formed me, my parents worked hard, with little spare money they managed to buy their own house, I witnessed their hard work and desire to improve their lot, I too worked hard to achieve a decent standard of living, I can say that I Did well, I have brought up three children who they themselves are doing well in excellent higher paid work.
I mentioned attending the worse school in Halifax, I look back at the teaching I received, it was abismal, many weak, liberal, uninterested teachers who had little respect and put little effort into teaching, lessons were dull, taught without enthusiasm. Then we left, guess what, many of those destined to become factory fodder flourished, we went to college, we forged carrears, became self employed, no silver spoon, just life experience and determination. I have learnt through life that you cannot judge a man or woman by their qualifications or the depth of their pockets, wisdom, decency and respect are deep within us, if you don’t have those qualities, you are unlikely to learn them. I have met many of all classes withe these qualities, sadley I have met many without.

Eddie Fox

22nd December 2019 at 10:58 am

What about your anti democratic vote to leave, we voted to join way way back.

But the leave block have moaned about it demanding another vote.

On that basis why is it wrong for those that want to remain to also campaign to stay and have another vote.

TrappedInTheOffSide .

22nd December 2019 at 6:50 pm

I went to Morpeth comprehensive tower Hamlets, and left 2 years after tower Hamlets was declared the worst EA in the country. Morpeth came bottom of the newly published league tables. My dad was locked up for over 20 years of his life for a whole slew of petty crimes. I didn’t get an inside toilet untill 1978. Colour telly? 1982.

I take it you read the daily mail?

TrappedInTheOffSide .

22nd December 2019 at 7:13 pm

Maybe you should listen to yourself and respect my opinion and not label me antidemocratic. I respect your options and a different opinion is not antidemocratic. And it doesn’t mean the electorate ain’t as thick as fuck. And for all mine and your achievements and failures it’s in our programming.

Jonathan Yonge

22nd December 2019 at 10:25 am

Superb comment !
Sometimes a Weltanschauung can be be summarised in a few words and imply its own rebuttal at the same time. Well done !

Weyland Smith

22nd December 2019 at 2:17 pm

“… I can’t understand”
So we see.

steve moxon

23rd December 2019 at 12:06 pm

It entails being a bigot like you to so misrepresent and misunderstand people.

Marvin Jones

24th December 2019 at 10:00 am

The most stupidest thing about your opinion is, your inability to find yourself another country on this planet, where you can parasite and scrounge a way to a good life regardless of your ungratefulness and ignorance.

TrappedInTheOffSide .

28th December 2019 at 12:03 am

“Ask yourself this. Should illiterate and ignorant people be allowed to breed illiterate and ignorant children into an instant and guaranteed life of poverty, never being capable of providing for themselves and depending on the state without limiting the number of children they give birth to?”

That’s eugenics mate

George Orwell

21st December 2019 at 1:06 pm

She looks like a Bond film villain in that photo.

Neil McCaughan

21st December 2019 at 12:28 pm

“She has to spend her money somehow”

The gruesome creature’s business has yet to file a profit, so it’s less a question of HER money, and more a question of HIS money.

And we all know who he is, don’t we?

Jane 70

21st December 2019 at 12:17 pm

Be hopeful folks! The Withdrawal Agreement has been passed with a healthy majority. (6 Labour MPs voted in favour.)

The Great Escape is in sight; all we need is a final push and no dithering.

Jane Carter

21st December 2019 at 10:00 am

I am proud of the UK electorate!

JULIAN THURBIN

21st December 2019 at 9:24 am

Great article, Brendan, but I think you are wrong. These zombies are not dead, they are just hiding in the woods and regrouping.
The uber arrogant will never give up. They will actively sabotage post Brexit Britain. If drug imports are obstructed by “whoever” they will greet every death as ammunition.
All must be aware and prepared for their next campaign. Gina Millar “& Others” because it wasn’t her money but secret (foreign?) donors (Codswallop, investigate!) will be back.
Keep formation.

Korina Wood

21st December 2019 at 9:19 am

The war is not yet won, we all need to keep our focus on our Politicians. Until we diverge in real terms it will be so easy to join again. We must do all that we can to ensure we diverge from EU Laws and EU standards. We need to get Chlorine washed Chicken into the shops ASAP, we need to get V12 Hoovers into the Shops, only when we have truly Diverged will we be Free and choose what we want, not take what Politicians give us.

22nd December 2019 at 9:41 am

Very proper! Just like many of your nouns…

Dawn Tarbett

21st December 2019 at 8:05 am

I just want to say. This is a brilliant article. Well written and says it all.
Thank you.
Someone has actually said it as it is. THE Ordinary people have voted yet again. Because they are tired of the country being torn apart and dominated by Brexit.
Not because we are dumb and in the dark.
It’s time for us all to pull together in the direction the people of voted.

James Thomas

21st December 2019 at 1:40 am

Really strong article Mr O’Neill. I have to say as a left leaning remainer from SW London i am glad that next month we leave this withdrawl step of the process and pray that the level of anger in language and tone can recede over the next year. Boris, the government and the wider parliament need to lead from the front on this swiftly followed by print media and then all of us.

Tinfoil Hat

20th December 2019 at 11:25 pm

44 years since the 1975 referendum. In the meantime we were subliminally fed various Treaties, slowly eroding our sovereignty, while we were busy working, doing our jobs, building this country. When we finally woke up to what those 44 years of deception had been about so no way Remain could win. Kafka couldn’t have made it up.

David Knight

20th December 2019 at 10:32 pm

Brendan I love your writing and guys I’m very pleased about Borises emphatic win but I must confess I love to gloat at the loss of Soubrey Grirve Umunna and all of those anti Democrats love it!!!

Jonathan Yonge

20th December 2019 at 10:16 pm

Very good and useful, thanks Brendan.

Garreth Byrne

20th December 2019 at 10:11 pm

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning. And then Churchill donned a boiler suit and had a whiff of a Woodbine as a gesture to the plebs.

William Clark

22nd December 2019 at 7:48 pm

Churchill understood the common man. He had the common touch as it used to be known in my parent’s generation, that is the generation who fought WWII.. The whole point of this article is that today’s elite do not. BoJo seems to have the common touch as well.

Michael Lynch

20th December 2019 at 9:24 pm

Well written, Brendan.

Ken Dodds Dads Dogs Dead.

20th December 2019 at 6:17 pm

The End of Remain? To all intents and purposes…yes…and yet there is a nagging, in the back of one’s mind, like the hostages of Stockholm Syndrome that, somehow, we will miss their continual, unrelenting, shafting…

Brandy Cluster

20th December 2019 at 9:52 pm

Absolute gold. Love that comment. Ah, the British sense of humour hasn’t been completely abandoned. Your Australian cousins send their regards!!!

Graham Woodford

20th December 2019 at 6:03 pm

‘Us’? Come off it. Spiked writers are members of the privileged metropolitan class, the commentariat and academia to a man and woman. Just another branch of it.

This is what the writer said in August of this year about PR

‘This is down to first-past-the-post. This system generates a vast disproportionality in the UK’s political life. Parliament fails to reflect what people vote for, and that failure has intensified over time.’

So this time there’s a crushing victory for the Tories on a marginally increased vote for them, while the remain position, which has claimed a majority of the popular vote, is overwhelmingly defeated.

You could at least be consistent in your views. And while you’re at it, if you support nationalism and patriotism in its English variety, you are on dodgy ground opposing it when the Scots claim the same rights of self expression.

21st December 2019 at 9:42 am

Any reasonable democrat would have to agree that the people of Scotland (not all of whom are Scots) should have the right to self-determination. The available figures suggest that little has changed in sentiment since the last Indyref, though.
The oil price has dived, the economy would struggle without the Barnett Formula, and all the arguments used against Brexit are amplified for Scotland. (c. 80% of trade is with rest of UK; would need to beg BoE to shore up a temporary currency while applying for EU membership; EU would insist – as per N. Ireland – on a hard border…)

Graham Woodford

21st December 2019 at 12:07 pm

Doesn’t stop you supporting Brexit, though does it. I don’t get know what point you are trying to make about where Scots live.

Let’s just observe that there’s a lot of opportunism in Spiked opinions, which are remarkably consistent across their commentariat. It goes something like this. PR is vital to our democratic future, Spiked claims. It then proclaims that the general election result, which has minority support for the Brexit we are now getting as some sort of triumph of the masses. On the other hand, it publishes articles that suggest the SNP does not have a mandate because they did not receive a majority of support for their views, and FPTP has ridiculously over rewarded them with seats. It’s possible to agree with some of those views but not all of them at the same time.

Alan Burdon

23rd December 2019 at 10:22 am

The people of Scotland should be joined by the rest of the nation if any decision is to be made on Scotland leaving the UK. It would be grossly undemocratic for Scots alone to decide an issue that materially affects everyone else.
If I wasn’t now in Australia I would vote like a shot for Scottish independence. Imagine the Westminster parliament without all those whining Scots. The Tories would be in power for ever.
Alternatively, let England have its own representation as the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish enjoy.

Neil McCaughan

21st December 2019 at 12:27 pm

Scotland has repeatedly rejected the SNP’s lies and crackpot schemes. The majority in Scotland have never once given Salmond or Sturgeon their votes, and in 2014 decisively threw out the infantile twaddle the nationalists put before them. So what are you talking about?

Davy Hayes

21st December 2019 at 9:04 pm

Spot on Neil

David Margison

22nd December 2019 at 3:05 pm

I don’t understand the argument for PR
We’ve just had 3 years of deadlock with a hung Parliament? I have Dutch friends who are subject to PR. there were 16 parties vying for power. After the ellection it took nearley two years before they were able to form a weak coalition. Government, my Dutch friends were not fans of the system.Nothing gets done because minority interest has too much sway. Like it or not strong government gets things done.

Charles Buonaventura

20th December 2019 at 5:05 pm

The end of Remain, but I suspect it is the beginning of Rejoin.

20th December 2019 at 10:15 pm

Let’s put in the public eye the state of things in Europe as alluded to by Jane70 below.

Marvin Jones

24th December 2019 at 10:41 am

I really thought that a couple of years ago, why the ERG didn’t set up a small group who had knowledge about the state, economy, lack of employment for the young and the trials and tribulations of the countries like Greece and Italy. The real truthful sinking raft that these ignorant remainers are lusting to be prisoners of. But then, Boris must work on the premise, that they will be much worse off that we would be, and make deals to benefit both sides.

Mike Ellwood

22nd December 2019 at 8:33 pm

I fear that you are correct.

Mike Ellwood

22nd December 2019 at 8:47 pm

( That was a reply to CHARLES BUONAVENTURA
20th December 2019 at 5:05 pm )

Steve Roberts

20th December 2019 at 4:56 pm

A generally celebratory article with some justification but wisely with some caveats as there does seem a general air of overly optimistic assumptions that political life has radically changed forever and the nation is enjoying a mass Johnson “love in” calm down dears i think is necessary .
“If Boris wants to hold on to his army of working-class, reasoned, sensible voters, he should push a message of positivity, democracy and rationality”
“First there’s the fact that a Conservative government has been voted into power. Will it do good or ill? Let’s see ”
Wise words indeed BON, the more overt and rabid antidemocrats have been given a severe beating, but not all by any stretch of the imagination, if the democratic content of the referendum is to be enacted we must leave all the institutions of the EU, that has not changed we must exit the ECJ, CU,SM as a minimum, if we do not what has occurred is that a section of the elite has found a way to maintain social harmony while not enacting the democratic instruction, extreme vigilance still required.
Will the CUP defend democracy beyond the catchy “Get brexit done” will it implement the most basic elements suggested by Spiked for democratic renewal, will it defend and extend freedoms of speech and association et al, will it demolish the divisive multiculturalism, delegislate the elements of identity politics that are imposed , face the economic realities of a decrepit and zombie like late stage capitalism, will it curtail or reverse the regressive policies of environmentalism and its misanthropy and so much more. Celebrate yes , its Xmas, and its great that citizens have once again imposed themselves on society but its a new year soon, and there will still be many new and indeed old battles still to settle with many of the same elite we had before.

David Margison

22nd December 2019 at 3:20 pm

A good reply that we should all heed. We must not trust mainstream media to give us the truth, read everything and make your own mind up.

TrappedInTheOffSide .

27th December 2019 at 11:12 pm

We’ve just voted the elite back IN!!!

Ruth Ramsden

20th December 2019 at 4:45 pm

Every doomsday cult has doubled down when the predicted end fails to materialise. For some believers, the cognitive dissonance may eventually become too much but the first reaction is always to blame the out-group (the rest of society) for their continued heresy. We see it here with Remain voters and Corbyn supporters alike. The end is STILL nigh, the voters are STILL bigoted and stupid, Brexit will STILL bring an end of days apocalypse. Meanwhile, the rest of us get on with life.

Graham Woodford

20th December 2019 at 6:13 pm

On the contrary, you are on this website, claiming that others you disagree with are some sort of cult.

One of the reasons so many working class people voted Tory is that they resented the intrusion of so much politics into their lives. Are you really pretending the Tory party are some sort of innocent honourable bystanders in all this? It’s their obsession with the EU that has led to the absorption so much of the political climate of the last few years, when in reality, in the time before that, obsession with our membership was a minority sport. I suspect our new life outside the EU will look remarkably like our little inside it, though probably for those folk in Blyth, Consett and Bishop Auckland that I know, a wee bit grimmer than beforel

21st December 2019 at 10:03 am

“…obsession with our membership was a minority sport.”
You think that most of the 17.4 million joined the game in injury time?
I got a chance to vote Leave or Remain; I didn’t get to vote on Juncker (or his replacement).

Brandy Cluster

20th December 2019 at 9:53 pm

You have just magnificently described the modern perfidy of the USA.

20th December 2019 at 4:42 pm

Good that the saboteurs have been democratically squashed. There is still a large Remain Plantation in the House of Lords and beyond.

We now know that Labour has not only allowed itself to be poisoned with anti-semitism, but also a class hatred that is just as ugly. When they talk of “a period of reflection” it is hard not to laugh. It is a monumental understatement reminiscent of the Japanese Emperor proclaiming that the war has progressed “not necessarily to our advantage” after Hiroshima and Nagaski. The scale and devastation of defeat is too much for them to comprehend.

Jane 70

20th December 2019 at 4:25 pm

@Zenobia :
“There are many areas in which the British could learn from other Europeans. Germany, for example, is wealthier and more successful than the UK by just about any economic metric you care to use. Both France and Germany have higher productivity levels than the UK and also have the advantage of having elected heads of state”

Erm, Germany is entering recession, France is beset by riots, strikes and a deeply unpopular President with Napoleonic ambitions, the Eurozone is creaking, Greece is in meltdown ,the Visegrad nations are defying Brussels and the Italians are voting in droves for Salvini’s League.

We are not leaving Europe, we are leaving the EU and its ever growing grip.

Brandy Cluster

20th December 2019 at 9:55 pm

You’re a champion, Jane. Love your work.

20th December 2019 at 10:12 pm

The extent to which the British media was anti-Brexit is evidenced by the dearth of reporting on the topics you mention.

a watson

22nd December 2019 at 8:37 am

Yes. Particularly from the BBC. And of course the political elite, especially the hypocritical Labour MPs.

Filbert Flange

20th December 2019 at 10:44 pm

The wise common-taters here should go back and review some of the earlier comments made by the resident troll. You will note the recurrent phrases and themes. One of the traits of a cut and paste, paid website drone is a tendency to repeat themselves if they talk too much — sometimes repeating themselves precisely — especially the low rent types. This one just did exactly that below, and regularly exhibits another common tell: a total unwillingness to accept even unrelated and widely held facts of any kind. Just endless contradiction, obfuscation and more than all else, repetition of the same core themes from the script.

That’s our ZiP alright.

Engage it at your peril as it will never accept any of your reasoning and simply keep copying somebody else’s words back at you — from a script.

Personally I find this shallow and particularly weak troll very boring and most likely paid by the SNP. But by all means continue to laugh at it.

Filbert Flange

20th December 2019 at 10:47 pm

And above all else have fun!

Michael Lynch

20th December 2019 at 11:40 pm

Just to add to Jane 70’s brilliant and concise analysis, what has just happened in Britain is only going to embolden dissent across the whole of Europe. It will also inspire our American cousins; if you just stand firm and persist then you too can rid yourself of the patronizing, parasite class that have dominated Western politics for far too long.

22nd December 2019 at 1:30 pm

We can look forward to the French and German press and establishment blaming all such matters on perfidious Albion.

BTW German debt is reducing due to the debt penalties being extorted from Greece, Spain etc ….

Puddy Cat

20th December 2019 at 3:58 pm

Labour MPs were still at it in Parliament today, the only means of saving mankind. Those poor voters so misunderstanding of the issues who need to be saved from legerdemain. Of all the amazing world changing things that Brexit can achieve the major grouse was about the rights of refugee children to come here to join already settled parents. That is an issue but until Britain is settled in her new role it is something that a sovereign nation can come to, not just be detached so that we can still cling to EU legislation as if it was faultless.

Yes, these are humanitarian issues and it says something about our souls but what is predominant is the reordering of Parliament so that it can be re-acquainted with procedure and discussion and slough off its adopted position of rubber stamp and self-advertisement.

As with public services, this country needs to be wealthy and dynamic so as to afford our aspirations. The idea of living in Mr Corbyn’s debt ridden and ill equipped nation vision is a denial of big hugs and a cheery smile. When this nation is on its feet we will be far better positioned for the give away and the humane intervention.

20th December 2019 at 5:06 pm

Some Labour MPs voted with the government today on the EU withdrawal bill and others apparently didn’t vote at all.

To borrow from Nietszche talking of Wagner, they are like a man in disarray, broken at the base of the Brexit Cross.

TrappedInTheOffSide .

27th December 2019 at 10:36 pm

It’s a lovely sentiment but I have yet to see any evidence to back this up. Look at those in the cabinet, small state free marketeers. Barnet and Northampton council both took that doctrine and went bankrupt. The hedgefunds and billionaires are extracting wealth out the country. (look at the water companys and PFI hospitals) Over the last 10 years we have recorded government debt and borrowing and all we have to show for it are a culture of violence, resentment and inequality. I fear Brexit is more of the same.

steve moxon

20th December 2019 at 3:11 pm

It only took THREE elections.
So much for us supposedly changing our minds.
It’s not so much the wisdom of crowds but that politics is inherently so.
The basis of the various manifestations of oikophobia are all themselves merely political, so it takes no wisdom to unravel them.
As with Brexit, so will go anthropogenic climate change, ‘hate crime’, the notions of xenophobia, homophobia and misogyny, feminism … the whole ‘identity politics’ backlash of hate-mongering by the Left towards he masses. It cannot come soon enough.

Neil John

20th December 2019 at 3:46 pm

Oh don’t worry Steve, the lefty loony types have already found a new way to attack those they despise, with a non to subtle call to arms in some University circles: https://wonkhe.com/blogs/should-we-be-worrying-about-right-wing-extremism-on-campus/?

steve moxon

20th December 2019 at 6:32 pm

I thought I’d post to ‘WONKHE’ there:
” ‘Projection’ of own ideological craziness on to others.
The BBC’s Countryfile recently ran a laughable item on a supposed ‘far right’ group on the grounds that (1) they opposed multiculturalism — er, so does Trevor Phillips — (2) point to projected changing demographics — er, they’re the projected changing demographics — and (3) like their own, majority culture — er, is the Boob even remotely serious?! That would make about 85% of the UK ‘far right’.
The Left needs to understand it is an elitist-separatist project in major backlash against ordinary folk for them not buying ‘the revolution’: the Left is a ‘hate group’ under the Government’s rules.
The Right are conservatives: realists, not revolutionaries.
Sure, there are a few nutters out there who, unusually, aren’t part of the giant nutsville of hate-mongering that is the Left, but there have always been a few nutters out there. They aren’t either a new or a big problem. “

Brandy Cluster

20th December 2019 at 9:56 pm

These are called “projections”.

TrappedInTheOffSide .

22nd December 2019 at 6:55 pm

Ask yourself this. Does that old dye in the wool socialist Reese-mogg, give a fuck about the masses or the working class? Ask yourself if any of the backers of Brexit give a fuck about the masses or the working class?

Marvin Jones

24th December 2019 at 11:21 am

Major Major Major

24th December 2019 at 3:02 am

Climate change is “identity politics”? My, my, you certainly know your scientific method from your elbow.

K Tojo

20th December 2019 at 3:09 pm

The anti-democratic elites have just lost a major battle. The war continues. They are just regrouping.
The campaign to keep us in the EU was just one stick to beat the masses down with. There are plenty more. The intimidating power of identity politics and the alleged climate emergency promise to be among the nastiest.

Major Major Major

24th December 2019 at 3:15 am

Khrist. Talk about rabbit holes.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

20th December 2019 at 2:33 pm

‘What mini Celtic empire did you have in mind? I can’t think of one offhand.’ —

Never heard of Scotland, Wales, Cornwall and Northern Ireland? If you live in London or the South East, that wouldn’t surprise me!

‘grow up’ lol

SAOR ALBA

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

20th December 2019 at 2:34 pm

The above comment was, of course, directed towards at the delightful and charming ‘Jane 70’.

Jane 70

20th December 2019 at 2:43 pm

Well,having lived in Cornwall,spent time in Wales and now residing in Scotland ,I can affirm that there is no empire of subjugated Celts-(don’t forget the substantial support for Leave in Cornwall and Wales)- the peoples in these areas differ markedly, genetically and socially.

What there is, is a union,which you may not find to your liking ,and which does indeed face tensions, but it is most assuredly not an empire presided over by English oppressors.

Don’t forget that the Scottish king James 1st and 6th attempted the Union of the Crowns ,soon after his accession;while not successful, he hereafter declared himself to be the ruler of Great Britain and remained in Westminster for the duration of his reign.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

20th December 2019 at 3:08 pm

You have lived in Wales and Scotland and yet are curiously unaware of the history of those two countries. You are aware that Scotland was an independent country for over 700 years before it was annexed in 1707? Wales was conquered militarily by Edward I and fully annexed to England by the Tudors. The Six Counties within Ulster were colonised by Scottish and English settlers in the early 17th century, with dire long-term consequences for the island of Ireland. The union with England has had an unambiguously negative effect on Celtic culture in both Wales and Scotland (e.g. through the 1872 Education Act which effectively imposed Lowlands/English culture on the Gaelic-speaking areas). The vast majority of ‘UK’ oil lies within Scottish territorial waters. Had Scotland been independent in the 1970s it would now possess a sovereign wealth fund of a level similar to that of Norway. Instead, Scottish oil was used to fund Tory tax cuts. Scotland shamed itself by its actions under the aegis of the British Empire – for example, the entire indigenous population of Tasmania was wiped out by mostly Scottish settlers. Scottish troops, predominantly Highlanders, fought and died in pointless British imperial ventures. How was this to Scotland’s advantage, let alone that of the subjugated non-European peoples? How has the union benefitted Scotland economically over the last 100 years?

21st December 2019 at 9:55 am

“Wales was conquered militarily by Edward I and fully annexed to England by the Tudors.”
Weren’t the Tudors Welsh? In which case, a Welsh king of England added his own country of birth to the one over which he was reigning. Some indictment of English imperialism.

Andrew-Paul Shakespeare

20th December 2019 at 3:39 pm

Do give it a rest. This catastrophizing hasn’t worked for the last 3 years. It’s not going to work now.

Nobody believes you. Nobody’s ever believed you. I doubt you even believe you. So just give it up. The most you’re going to achieve is to make yourself really, really boring.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

20th December 2019 at 4:04 pm

Many of us love Europe and believe that the UK’s best cultural, economic and long-term strategic interests would have been best served by remaining in the EU. The UK is far more European than it realises. In any case, the rest of the Anglosphere doesn’t care about the UK any more. The Americans have had their own highly successful polity for over 200 years and do not pay the UK much attention. The Australians and New Zealanders don’t care either – they are just too far away.

There are many areas in which the British could learn from other Europeans. Germany, for example, is wealthier and more successful than the UK by just about any economic metric you care to use. Both France and Germany have higher productivity levels than the UK and also have the advantage of having elected heads of state. They also have superior public health systems with, for example, superior cancer survival rates. You cannot just go through life assuming that you are best in everything when you so clearly are not.

21st December 2019 at 9:49 am

“Many of us love Europe…”
Indeed; count me in. That’s not the same as liking the EU, is it?
I’d be interested to see how many of the other inhabitants of the EU are really pro-EU, or are they just dependent on the influxes of cash (from the few nett-contributing countries) that keep them sucking at the teat?

David Margison

22nd December 2019 at 3:58 pm

Zenobia, you should get your facts right! Germany is struggling, their economy is depressed. Their imigration/refugee policy is destroying them, The far right is on the rise, their automotive manufacturers are crooks who have had to pay billions in reparations because of fixing emmisions tests., and there will be billions more to pay. They are a member of NATO but have virtually no army. They do not meet their obligations of two percent of GDP per year in contributions and they say they won’t for the next eleven years., which meens they get a free ride They are allowing a Russian gas pipline to be built which will deliver over forty percent of their energy needs, leaving them open to coercion. The USA is not happy. You mey kid yourself but please don’t try to kid us.

David Margison

22nd December 2019 at 4:04 pm

Oh and I have lived in Spain and Greece and I can tell you, there is no better place to live than GB

Major Major Major

24th December 2019 at 3:11 am

Who do you believe then? Self-appointed “man-of-the-people” BON here?

Jane 70

20th December 2019 at 3:48 pm

Go and have a lie down Zenobia, and stop with the wicked English oppressors nonsense; it’s gone past its sell by date.

I-330 One State

20th December 2019 at 5:06 pm

The idea of a modern unified Celtic identity is totally fabricated. I say that as a proud Welshman. I have as much, and as little in common with a Scot as I do a Bretton, Manx or an Englishman.

It is peculiar that those espousing a Celtishness always do so in opposition to a supposed monolithic Englishness. As though the whole of population dwelt in London, Surrey and Berkshire and neither North nor West possessed a culture of its own.

It is quite true that the so-called races or nations of Britain feel themselves to be very different. A Scotsman, for instance, does not thank you if you call him an Englishman. Even the differences between north and south England loom large in our own eyes. Yet somehow these differences fade away the moment that any two Britons are confronted by a Serbian or a Japanese man.

Celtic tribalism is a form of nationalism espoused by those who reject nationalism most – with no coheret national identity on which to base it.

Ken Dodds Dads Dogs Dead.

20th December 2019 at 6:25 pm

Zenobia, now, correct me if I’m wide of the mark here, but, isn’t that a failed state somewhere in outer regions of Bullshittier?

Brandy Cluster

20th December 2019 at 9:59 pm

It’s not a failed state; it’s asleep, resting on its perch.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

20th December 2019 at 2:00 pm

You’ve ‘won’ but you must now be prepared to accept the loss of your global standing along with your mini Celtic Empire.

K Tojo

20th December 2019 at 4:05 pm

There is no reply button on your 15:08 posting so I am using this one.

Why all this moralising about colonialism / imperialism? Are the English supposed to be uniquely guilty of this? Is that supposed to provide a reason for ignoring the appalling brutality and corruption of the Middle Eastern and African nations both in historically and present day?

To be quite blunt, I won’t be losing any sleep over the fact “that Scotland was an independent country for over 700 years before it was annexed in 1707” or that “union with England has had an unambiguously negative effect on Celtic culture in both Wales and Scotland (e.g. through the 1872 Education Act which effectively imposed Lowlands/English culture on the Gaelic-speaking areas” or whether or not “the union benefited Scotland economically over the last 100 years”.

Perhaps in the small domain of adolescent SJW point scoring those historical “horrors” get the moralistic juices flowing but the real world moves relentlessly onward. Sadly, we are currently in an era when our University educated elite are devoid of any genuine creativity. To fill that void their energies are devoted to the pseudo-heroic pastimes of moral preening and virtue signalling.

Major Major Major

24th December 2019 at 2:54 am

Fair enough, K TOJO.
Do you wear a red poppy?
Are you appalled by the white ones or football players who refuse to wear them?

Just wondered what moral preening and virtue signalling about the past were supposed to select and reject and why.

20th December 2019 at 4:12 pm

God your boring.

20th December 2019 at 4:14 pm

I miss our Angevin Empire more

Ken Dodds Dads Dogs Dead.

20th December 2019 at 6:31 pm

Tout à fait correct!

Ken Dodds Dads Dogs Dead.

21st December 2019 at 1:30 pm

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂…

Jane 70

20th December 2019 at 1:45 pm

Yee-haaa! We won: no VD epidemics and no dastardly Russians pulling our strings.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

20th December 2019 at 1:59 pm

‘no dastardly Russians pulling our strings’ — are you sure? But they are able to conduct chemical warfare on your soil with impunity. London is awash with dirty Russian, Chinese, Arab, Central Asian, etc. money.

Jane 70

20th December 2019 at 2:24 pm

O grow up Zenobia; just accept the result. What mini Celtic empire did you have in mind? I can’t think of one offhand.

Ed Turnbull

20th December 2019 at 2:25 pm

No Russians – dastardly or otherwise – pulled my strings (“What’s that Vlad? Oh, the cheque’s in the post. Cool. Is it in sterling this time? It’s a bit easier to cash at the local post office when it’s not in roubles. Ta.”).

London is “awash with dirty Russian, Chinese, Arab, Central Asian, etc. money.”. London? You mean Remain CHQ London? Is that really such a good example with which to support your ‘argument’? (You didn’t really think that one through did you?). I bet the Leave areas of the country aren’t awash with dirty money from foreign oligarchs and potentates. So, who was *really* being bought by those dastardly Russians?

I love the fact you’re such a sore loser (and you’re not alone in that on your side), I predict I’ll be bathing in the delicious salty tears of Remoaners for some time to come. Gloating? Who? Me? Damn right. Ah, silly me, I forgot – gloating (like so much else) is only ok when *your* side does it.

A large scotch, I think, when I get home tonight.

Chin chin!

Andrew-Paul Shakespeare

20th December 2019 at 3:13 pm

You got me. I arrived at the polony station with every intention of voting to Remain. But this guy called Sergei was there, and offered me £1000 and a KGB agent called Natalia for the night if I voted Leave. So of course I did!

Ah those dastardly Rooskies!

Brandy Cluster

20th December 2019 at 9:59 pm

We’re so glad you’re on the case, allowing the rest of us to enjoy a peaceful Christmas.

Ken Dodds Dads Dogs Dead.

20th December 2019 at 7:01 pm

It was always going to be the democratic decision that would prevail. Had the remoaners votes been greater those who voted leave would have respected the democratic process unlike the tantrum throwing I don’t like the way it went fascist/marxist ingrates.

Major Major Major

24th December 2019 at 3:08 am

At last, somebody who can present a coherent reason for Brexit.
In your face Remainers!