Boris was right to rebuke ITV’s cheap journalism

Showing the PM sad photos of a poorly child isn’t journalism – it’s a cynical emotional stunt.

Brendan O'Neill

Brendan O'Neill
Editor

Topics Politics

Boris Johnson was absolutely right to refuse to look at that photo of a four-year-old boy sleeping on a hospital floor. Why? Because the ITV reporter who was shoving the photo in Boris’s face was engaging in the most cynical, cheap and emotionalist form of journalism imaginable. His aim wasn’t to question the PM, far less to enlighten ITV viewers about the Tories’ policies on the NHS. No, it was to create a viral image of an uncaring politician that the time-rich Twitterati could then rage and splutter about. It wasn’t Boris who behaved insultingly – it was the stardom-chasing journalist and the online luvvies who have lapped up his showdown with the PM.

The photo shows a kid called Jack Williment-Barr asleep on the floor of a hospital in Leeds, despite having suspected pneumonia. That is a distressing situation. No poorly child – or poorly adult, for that matter – should be left on a hospital floor. The photo, first published in the Daily Mirror, has gone viral, and is being cited across the internet as proof that callous cuts made by the Tories are having a negative impact on people’s lives. Today, ITV News’ Joe Pike tried to show the photo to Boris. Boris initially refused to look at it; he then took Pike’s phone off him and put it in his pocket.

I can’t have been the only person who let out a little cheer when this happened. No, not because I think it is okay that a hospital bed could not be found for a sick young child, but because this was such a cynical journalistic stunt. It was an emotionalist gotcha. Pike’s mind seemed to be less on getting some facts and information that he might then communicate to his viewers, and more on getting as many likes, retweets and media mentions as possible by humiliating a PM with a sad photo. He succeeded. The increasingly desperate Corbynista wing of public life in particular has used this hollow confrontation to say, in Jeremy Corbyn’s morally infantile words, that Boris ‘just doesn’t care’.

Grow up. For a start, Boris very quickly retrieved the reporter’s phone from his pocket, looked at the photo, and described it as ‘terrible’. He even apologised to the boy’s family and ‘all those who have terrible experiences in the NHS’. What’s more, this attempt to create an emotionalist spectacle, in this case by pushing heartstring-tugging photos in politicians’ faces in order to elicit a rash or sad response, is insulting to viewers and voters. It is apolitical and ahistorical. Apolitical because it substitutes soppy gotchas for serious political discussion; and ahistorical because the idea that terrible things only started happening in the NHS because of the current Tory government’s cuts overlooks the fact that the health system has been shoddy for decades. Anyone who has seen an elderly relative left on a trolley in a corridor or waited for hours in grotty, dispiriting waiting rooms will know that the NHS has had problems forever, under governments of every stripe.

Media coverage of this election is becoming irritating and patronising. Journalists seem to think it is their role to shame or harry or humiliate politicians. It isn’t. It is to question them and hold them to account – vigorously, yes – and provide viewers or readers with as much info as possible. Appealing to viewers on the basis of cheap emotion is an abdication of journalistic responsibility. I suspect quite a few ITV viewers approved of Boris’s instinctive and temporary refusal to play this low game.

Brendan O’Neill is editor of spiked and host of the spiked podcast, The Brendan O’Neill Show. Subscribe to the podcast here. And find Brendan on Instagram: @burntoakboy

Picture by: ITN.

Comments

Matthew Cattell

13th December 2019 at 6:03 pm

I wholeheartedly agree that the vile, pitiful antics of these so called journalists becomes more infantile as the years progress. Presumably we are starting to see the effects of Blair’s education policies come to rotten-fruition. It is in no way an endorsement of Boris Johnson or any of the other sordid political class to point out how banal and petulant “journalism” has become and if I had been in Johnson’s position I might not have reacted so calmly to such a dirty stunt. The mentality is the same as that which attempted to manipulate you into unconditional support of mass uncontrolled migration by looping an image of a dead child on a beach circa Autumn 2015. The sociopathic elites have this type of cynical propaganda down to a fine art and would probably make Goebbels envious.

Vivien Johnson

18th December 2019 at 11:45 pm

Couldn’t agree more. This kind of cheap journalism is allowed full sway in Australian media. There are none of them who will even stand up against it. Good for Boris. Some scribbler caught a photo of two conservative politicians a few years back smoking cigars and looking happy, and there was an unbelievable beat-up, rich plutocrats, capitalists, callous implementers of poverty, blah blah… and it ran for months with no fight back even attempted, Not even from Conservative commentators who merely mumbled about it being unfortunate.

Linda Payne

11th December 2019 at 5:01 pm

Sick of the lionisation of the NHS – its treated like a fucking religion in this country, well I slogged my guts out nursing for 20 years before I was bullied out and I can tell you there have been jobs for the boys and girls ever since we had NHS trusts, many of them do sweetheart deals with certain nursing agencies which means millions gets spent on that while the hospital bank nurses are put out of work, I still don’t know what most of these managers do all day but they used to rock up for ‘work’ in their plush cars after I’d finished a night shift. As for mental health care, you have no rights, their labels ruin your life and define you for life. Then the ‘left’ fucking patronise you and call you weak and vulnerable, well if I hear that said again it will be THEM that will end up weak and vulnerable. I would have been better off in America than this shitstorm of a system

Marvin Jones

11th December 2019 at 3:10 pm

I have always thought that Johnson was the wrong choice for party leader, just as May and Cameron were. I saw him as a phoney intellect, who with a few well chosen bits of vocabulary, conned a lot of people. In reality, his brain cannot hold the important info needed at crucial times, like when he was
grilled about the 4 year old boy on the floor. Even an average person like me would instantly apologise and promise to investigate this and hold the person responsible to account. But he made a big ASS of himself. Worse still, his cowardly and blatant episode with the GMB journo this morning. He lied that he would give them an interview to Piers Morgan and partner then scuttled into a freezer to evade them. I honestly believe he could have lost the election with so many flaws.

11th December 2019 at 9:28 am

Pocketing the interviewer’s phone was a strange reaction. Perhaps Boris’s own was malfunctioning, and he was worried he might get stuck on another zipwire?
On the other hand, the idea that the NHS could ever have enough beds for all eventualities, or that there’s a number of police at which no further crimes will ever be committed is fatuous (and easily challenged, so why didn’t Johnson do it?)

Donna Clancy

10th December 2019 at 11:23 pm

‘Media coverage of this election is becoming irritating and patronising. Journalists seem to think it is their role to shame or harry or humiliate politicians. It isn’t. It is to question them and hold them to account – vigorously, yes – and provide viewers or readers with as much info as possible. ‘ Absolutely. But if Bozo refuses to participate in the interviews other leaders submit to; and then whinges about being empty chaired when he doesn’t, what does he expect?

10th December 2019 at 10:24 pm

Where’s Little Jonnie gone .. again?

11th December 2019 at 6:45 am

Weak weak Jerry.

I answered your questions whether you like it or not.

Why so desperate Jerry?

11th December 2019 at 8:02 am

No you didn’t you squirmed .. humour me again by answering it here on this thread .. if others are interested they can pass judgement.
Here we go again..
How does telling you that I run two businesses “confirm to you that I am narrow minded”?
How do you come to that conclusion, after I informed you of that?
And how do you explain your comment that it means I have never “travelled more than five miles from my home”?
Lastly why do you persist with the “greengrocer” nonsense, what does that achieve for you?
Over to you little Jonnie.
Four concise replies to four concise questions.

11th December 2019 at 8:25 am

I’ve already told you the answer Jerry. Stop wriggling.

You running businesses isn’t what confirms that you’re narrow minded.

Your narrow minded comments on here confirm that. They’re consistent with the worldview of someone who’s never travelled more than 5 miles from their home… like, say, a greengrocer.

No more wriggling from you Jerry.

11th December 2019 at 9:47 am

Little Jonnie
You have answered my question !! There were four questions not one.
You said that my running two businesses ‘confirmed’ my narrow mindedness, this is why I expect you to quantify that statement.
Your ‘travelling no more than 5 miles from home’ tripe is totally lame in terms of an argument.
A good world view is available from the internet so you have no valid point there. Have you formed your opinions on the middle east by going there or have you informed them via news outlets and the internet?
Your fixation with greengrocers is a bit weird isn’t it?
Now give me examples of my ‘narrow mindedness’?
Three questions Little Jonnie .. three answers.

11th December 2019 at 10:39 am

I answered your questions Jerry. Stop lying about what I said.

A good worldview is available on the internet…. But the Jury’s out as to whether you’ve actually accessed it. Based on your comments it would appear not. It’s pretty common for people to spend their entire time on the internet in their own echo chambers.

I don’t have a fixation with greengrocers.

I’d say a perfect place to start with examples of your narrow mindedness would be the comments thread where I originally pointed that out, the one you keep dragging up. Feel free to go look yourself, I’m not wasting my internet doing it for you.

11th December 2019 at 1:10 pm

Little Jonnie
As I thought unable to give any specific answers to my questions as usual. This is your problem on this site as pointed out by many others here. You actually have no useful content to your posts and fail miserably to be responsive in any meaningful way to any questions put to you by anyone, indeed you just parrot back to people that which is posted to you with a raspberry on the end. Indeed what you do is just parrot what an author has written, stick your fingers in your ears wriggle them and blow a raspberry, hardly interesting stuff is it?

14th December 2019 at 7:42 am

Wrong yet again Jerry. I provided clear answers to all your questions. You’re in denial now.

If I ever parrot someone’s words back to them, it’s because I’m making a valid point about their hypocrisy. It’s hardly surprising that me doing so winds you and your fellow hypocrites on here up so much. It’s not nice when someone calls you out, is it?

14th December 2019 at 7:47 am

Furthermore Jerry, 90% of your posts on here simply state “I agree with everything in the article”. Pray tell, what’s so interesting about that?

Linda Payne

10th December 2019 at 3:27 pm

I know that however ill I am the NHS wont help me. It bullied me out of my job and now refuses to treat my mental illness, I’ve had enough I hate that institution

David Simpson

10th December 2019 at 2:35 pm

I left a long comment about the fatuous Radio 4 Today programme’s headlining of this “shaming” incident (NOT the actual A&E event that gave rise to it) but lost the will after five attempts to post it

David Simpson

10th December 2019 at 2:36 pm

. . . to live, obvs

Marvin Jones

10th December 2019 at 2:32 pm

Where does this rancid, phoney and ignorant allegiance for deceit, lies and blatant asinine behaviour
come from, for so many of the politicians, media and the average supporter to brush away the essence of doing the wrong things to achieve success. I can see the possibility of this child on the floor being staged by some extremely nasty pieces of trash because the stakes are so high. I as a very ordinary person would have instantly said that I would look into this, and if true, the person responsible would suffer the consequences, and that I would then make a statement to the country. But, no, this dope’s knee jerk reaction was incredible, and if any of you think it was a joke, then this world is truly done for. BUT ALAS! the alternative is total destruction of GB.

William Brown

10th December 2019 at 1:29 pm

Like many others, I suspect a deliberate staging. I have relatives working in the NHS and even the leftie ones can’t quite understand how a child with pneumonia would be left on the floor, with the drip not even in the correct position to be effective. It has the whiff of dogma fueled activists about it and I for one, ain’t buying it for a second.

John Millson

10th December 2019 at 12:45 pm

Disingenuous tripe – as per usual. Contratrianism isn’t always interesting. Johnson is an inept pig.

10th December 2019 at 2:09 pm

Shame you don’t have a point to make just a childish insult.
It appears it is another put up job by your lot.. no surprise there then !!

Ian Phillips

10th December 2019 at 6:37 pm

But you miss the point entirely, or are ignoring it because you don’t like it. Whether the A&E incident was staged, or not, the reaction of BoJo the serial philanderer was appalling, and speaks volumes about his character. It also exposes the underlying “sod the poor” attitude of the current Tory party, the moderates have all been hounded out – it’s populated with alt right bigots. God help this country.

10th December 2019 at 10:22 pm

Ian Phillips
Don’t be such a drama queen !

11th December 2019 at 6:44 am

“It appears it is another put up job by your lot..”

It appears that’s a lie from you…. No surprise there then!

11th December 2019 at 8:05 am

Little Jonnie
When was the last time you saw a drip laid on the floor at the lowest part of a body mass.. kinda negates the ‘drip’ factor .. talking of which, looking forwards to your response to my above questions.

John Millson

11th December 2019 at 8:47 am

Jerry Owen,
Johnson f*cked up. He didn’t know if it was or wasn’t a ‘put-up job’. He should have engaged with the image straight away rather than take the reporter’s phone, whatever he suspected the reporter’s motive was. He made a tactical mistake.
You know, ‘rough and tumble’ of General Election politics…
How can it be defended?
The Jonathan Ashworth leak is a godsend for Johnson now…

11th December 2019 at 9:55 am

John Millson
So the increasingly obvious fake story which you don’t deny is of no concern then?
Using a small boy for propaganda about the NHS, a teat which Labour hangs onto every election (so wearisome) is okay is it?
Lying to the public is okay is it?
Tell me, how is a drip effective on a patient when it is placed below the body mass of the patient?
Do you really think a hospital would do that?
I couldn’t give a toss about Johnson I don’t like the man, but Labour’s dirty tricks campaign is just down right disgusting.
Goebells would be proud of your propaganda just as he would of your anti semite party.

John Millson

11th December 2019 at 11:42 am

Jerry Owen,

It is unlikely the picture is a ‘fake’, created to ‘trap’ Johnson. I can believe it happened – overcrowded AEs etc. Who would imagine that specific scenario, so as to create a fake shock image?

The point is Boris Johnson’s typical surreptitious behaviour in attempting to deal with the photo on the phone, not the veracity of the photo.

Mis-using the photo for election purposes was distasteful, yes, especially when we know the boy’s mother was deeply unhappy with the photo being used. But that doesn’t mean Johnson is blameless.

We are in an election, in 2019. Most things are ‘dirty’ now, with the Tories being just as skilled in the ‘Goebbels’ department as the rest, in case you had forgotten.

11th December 2019 at 1:20 pm

John Millson
You are still in a defensive denial mode.
No hospital in the land would place a drip connected to a person on the floor in a hospital, you know that and I know you know that.
Johnson was attacked verbally several months ago in a hospital allegedly by a member of the public, but it later transpired it was a labour activist.
What it is with labour that they think they own every right to the NHS is beyond me.. And no the NHS is not here solely because of the Labour party. You just think that you have a moral superiority when it comes to the NHS, but the history of your party in government shows that’s clear bunkum
It has to be said that politics is dirty but the rancid side of your party has brought it to a new low. ‘Old Labour’ was my party once but now it’s degenerated into something really rather vile.

10th December 2019 at 5:18 pm

John Millson
Do you know why a ‘drip’ is called a ‘drip’ and where a ‘drip’ needs to be in relation to patient be effective. Pray do tell?

antoni orgill

10th December 2019 at 11:32 am

Good God, lad. This is pathetic. The man is bidding to become the Prime Minister and to rule this country for the next few years. You speak as if he were a fellow citizen. Fuck that nonsense, sunshine. He’s not. We _ the people (remember) _ are being shafted by his party of privileged cunts. His refusal to look at the picture shows him to be a denier, a deflector, a wanker … you, Brendan should get on the side of the outraged a bit more and make a fucking real difference beyond your occasional forays …

Marvin Jones

10th December 2019 at 2:36 pm

Temper, temper. Tourette’s eh? I do feel the same way, but I think the hatred for Jews and love for terrorist scum is far, far FUCKING worse.

Genghis Kant

10th December 2019 at 11:09 am

There is at least one of these ‘scandals’ every election – remember Jennifer’s ear? Margaret Dixon?

Whether these events are true or not what is really the question is whether the MSM is a dupe or a willing co-conspirator in them.

10th December 2019 at 8:30 am

We will find out in due course but there is a rumour going around that this whole story is another labour fit up. I must admit it seemed odd that a boy is laid on the floor , there is always a bed or trolley somewhere in a hospital, also there are chairs to be sat on.
I find this rumour of labour dirty tricks compelling for one reason alone, the drip to be effective should be above his head.. why is it laid on the floor next to him?

Marvin Jones

10th December 2019 at 2:40 pm

I do so hope that you are right. Remember Steptoe sitting on the floor of a train with all those empty seats around? This Tosser could be our next PM!

Michael Lynch

10th December 2019 at 12:01 am

Well what do you expect in this new age of feely, feely. People stopped using their brains years ago to solve problems in the West. There was me, brought up to think that we were rational beings instead of emotional morons. So much for the Comprehensive System, eh?

zack smith

9th December 2019 at 11:55 pm

If you think Boris was right, you’re clueless about politics. Ignoring the photos of that child and stuffing the phone into his pocket made him look like an arrogant out of touch old Estonian, who simply didn’t care.

What he should have done is looked, said it was shocking and upsetting. He should reacted like a human being. Then he explains what he would do to make sure such a thing couldn’t happen again. Politics 101.

H McLean

10th December 2019 at 4:10 am

Yes, but Boris isn’t clueless about journalism, is he? He knew that the “reporter” was pulling an unprincipled, scraping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel gotcha that in true British press tradition of bypassing journalistic integrity by appealing directly to the cheap seats. These days journalists – rather like politicians – are rated barely higher than pond scum, and for good reason. Maybe you don’t care about it but others do. I imagine more voters would cheer on Boris reaction than would condemn him for his refusing to take the bait, and we’ll know soon enough.

Mike Stallard

10th December 2019 at 6:50 am

As someone who comes from Estonia, I very much want to complain about this comment. Not all Estonians are uncaring! I think you owe the world an apology and I look forward to reading it on this site.

David Webb

9th December 2019 at 11:25 pm

The “cheap stunt” is the only way to force a politician to face up to what is happening. As long as immigration continues at a high level, our health service will struggle.

Danny Rees

9th December 2019 at 10:05 pm

Funny I always thought Brendan defended the press.

zack smith

9th December 2019 at 11:57 pm

Only when the press agrees with him.

To be fair virtually all commentators and journalists in this country are closed minded and only believe in free speech when it suits them.

12th December 2019 at 7:42 am

Little Jonnie
No. He doesn’t.. there straightened that one out for you!

Ciarán Masterson

9th December 2019 at 7:29 pm

“…ITV News’ Joe Pike tried to show the photo to Boris.”

To be fair, Joe Pike is employed not by ITN but ITV plc’s subsidiary, ITV Broadcasting Ltd, which runs the ITV Network regions in England, Wales, the Scottish Borders and the Channel Islands (UTV – formerly Ulster Television – Ltd is also an ITV plce subsidiary).

Matt Ryan

9th December 2019 at 6:58 pm

Unless you seriously over provision (waste more money) then there are always going to be periods of contention for free (at the point of use) resources. Kid was not at risk at this point and could have sat in the waiting area but his Mum made a bed on the floor. Whether her motives were honest is questionable.

9th December 2019 at 6:47 pm

The boys parents didn’t want this to be politicised… Yet it was the lead story on the BBC !
Are the BBC getting a little worried about the license fee and now coming out for labour ?

9th December 2019 at 8:06 pm

The BBC certainly appear to be worries about the license fee. Their desperation to not upset the Tories in this election has been painfully obvious.

Danny Rees

9th December 2019 at 10:06 pm

But it was ITV

10th December 2019 at 8:00 am

It was the lead story on the BBC.

zack smith

10th December 2019 at 12:00 am

The BBC isn’t biased in favour of Labour. The idea that senior BBC managers and journalists with 6 figure pay packets want a Corbyn government is laughable. It is hardly in their economic interest.

Mo Hicks

10th December 2019 at 10:48 am

Such an assertion can not be left unchallenged.
The only BBC exec I have come across (who was indeed on a six figure salary) was a strong labour supporter. And I am sure would have been happy to have paid more income tax, to their own economic disadvantage.
And is James Purnell, BBC Director of Radio and former Labour minister, no longer a supporter of the party?

William Brown

10th December 2019 at 1:49 pm

In my leafy Cotswold hamlet, almost every large country home has a Vote Labour poster planted upon the gates, with an occasional Vote Green placard pinned to the window shutters about the village. The terminally middle class and the “I’m alright Jack” brigade seem to love to virtue signal their ‘we’re down with the proles’ credentials, don’tcha think?

Then again, there’s barely a Vote Consvervative or Brexit Party banner that hasn’t been in some way vandalised, or torn down. So maybe Cressida and Sebastian just plant the red, or green notices in the lush front lawns just to keep the crusties out…

Little Black Sambo

10th December 2019 at 4:49 pm

The BBC isn’t biased in favour of Labour.
I need a few moments to digest that.

Hugh Bryant

9th December 2019 at 5:48 pm

What could Boris say? If he told the truth, which is that you cannot have universal free healthcare and open borders, they’d scream ‘racist’. So he keeps quiet. But sooner or later we have to face the fact that, if you are going to bring a population the size of Cardiff into the country every year you will have to impose much, much higher taxes in order to build the necessary infrastructure. We have to challenge the myth that immigration is always good.

H McLean

9th December 2019 at 6:10 pm

They’re going to call Boris ‘racist’ regardless of how much he politely declines to enter the fray. The public is crying out for politicians with the courage to very publicly tell these people “No”.

Danny Rees

9th December 2019 at 10:07 pm

Not even Boris has gone “ahhhh the reason the NHS is under strain is because of all the immigrants”. People are bored with that excuse.

Marvin Jones

10th December 2019 at 2:47 pm

Very much impossible to sustain the economy when half a million migrants, asylum seekers and illegals waltz into the country every year, and hardly any of the infrastructure is ever improved or increased to cope with this incessant and uncontrollable burden.

10th December 2019 at 5:30 pm

So what is your excuse Danny boy?

zack smith

10th December 2019 at 12:05 am

I agree with you about immigration but the truth everyone here is ignoring about the NHS, is we can’t have low spending and a high quality service. Other developed countries have better healthcare because they spend more of their GDP on healthcare.

So we either put up taxes or go to an insurance based system, either way, people have to pay more. Or we can carry on as we are and tolerate shortages.

Of course no politician has the balls to say that. They all pretend we can have American levels of taxation and Scandinavian quality public services. The world doesn’t work that way, you get what you pay for.

William Brown

10th December 2019 at 1:33 pm

We don’t have “low spending” in the NHS – we have massively irresponsible spending in the NHS – ask any medical professional, without a political axe to grind, and they’ll enlighten you.

Little Black Sambo

10th December 2019 at 4:52 pm

The key to the troubles of the NHS is not financial but organizational. Make sure the money is properly spent, not just continually increased.

Ian Phillips

10th December 2019 at 6:58 pm

Couldn’t have put it better myself. It’s all about how much we’re prepared to put in as a nation; it still astounds me that people don’t get this. Mark my words, top up private insurance will be costly as it will add another yet layer of bureaucracy, AND the need to “turn a profit” for the owners/ shareholders. Why not raise taxes and fund the NHS properly, rather than line the pockets of the insurance co’s and thier shareholders – and please don’t respond that they’ll do things more “efficiently” – that’s just poppycock.

9th December 2019 at 5:46 pm

“it was to create a viral image of an uncaring politician that the time-rich Twitterati could then rage and splutter about.”

It’s pretty ironic that a person who spends their entire life writing meaningless opinion pieces in the media thinks they are above people who write their opinions on Twitter. I guess Brendan believes only people like him should be allowed to rage and splutter about politics. How dare nameless ordinary people join in.

9th December 2019 at 6:44 pm

Little Jonnie
You boast about never running away from questions addressed to you .
I note with interest over on ‘ the ‘hysteria of the Boris bashers’ thread you have indeed run away from me yet again…this is getting quite a habit for you isn’t it?

9th December 2019 at 8:04 pm

Except I have not run away from you on that thread Jerry. Once again you are incorrect…..this is getting quite a habit for you isn’t it?

9th December 2019 at 8:29 pm

Little Jonnie
So you can’t answer my questions !
How weak.

11th December 2019 at 6:32 am

I did answer your question Jerry, why lie?

9th December 2019 at 11:53 pm

You stick up for someone who hides behind a child.

Point me to where Mr O’Neill ever resorted to the parading of children because he had not the words to make his point?

Mr O’Neill sets out exactly why he is critical of this particular “story” and its presentation. Unable to meet him on those terms and this story, you follow in the footsteps of the churnalist Joe Pike and throw in some whataboutery. The place to have taken him on in the second piece you mention was in the comments section following, not here.

Yir a wee nyaff, Jonnie.

10th December 2019 at 11:51 am

He’s a coward.. run away from me yet again refusing to answer my questions !

11th December 2019 at 6:35 am

“You stick up for someone who hides behind a child.”

I did no such thing. I said nothing about Joe Pike, I certainly did not “stick up” for him.

You’re a liar Jim.

11th December 2019 at 6:36 am

Jerry, you are lying again. I answered your questions. Why lie?

11th December 2019 at 6:38 am

You want to talk about parading children Jim?

It’s a pretty common tactic for Brendan and others on his website.

11th December 2019 at 6:40 am

Pointing out the hypocrisy of Brendan’s comments in this article is not whataboutism at all. It’s entirely relevant, and you know it.

11th December 2019 at 10:41 am

Worth noting further that Brendan had no complaints over cheap, show-ey journalism tactics when Andrew Neil used them against Corbyn. In fact, he appeared to endorse them.

Your defence of Brendan lacks any and all credibility Jim.

You stick up for a shallow hypocrite.

9th December 2019 at 5:43 pm

He is the PM, not Batman.

9th December 2019 at 5:41 pm

“Media coverage of this election is becoming irritating and patronising.”

A reminder that barely a few weeks ago Brendan preached to us all that left wing criticism of the media was actually elitist and born of disdain for the masses.

Apparently when he attacks the media however, none of that applies. Brendan’s hypocrisy is exposed again.

9th December 2019 at 6:48 pm

Little Jonnie
Care to answer my questions over on ‘ the hysteria of the Boris bashers’ thread ?

9th December 2019 at 8:04 pm

Done. How’s your imaginary friend Jerry?

9th December 2019 at 8:34 pm

Little Jonnie
That isn’t an answer to my questions.
You said me running two businesses ‘confirmed’ my narrow mindedness .
How so?
And how can one run two businesses not travelling more than five miles from home?

11th December 2019 at 6:32 am

No Jerry, I did not say that.

11th December 2019 at 6:42 am

Such a weak answer Jerry. I answered your questions and all you can say is “No you didn’t”. Weak.

Time for you to drop it.