Save Greta

Forget saving the planet – we need to save Greta from the death cult of environmentalism.

Brendan O'Neill

Brendan O'Neill
Editor

Topics Politics World

Any adult who cheered Greta Thunberg’s speech to the UN yesterday should be ashamed of themselves. Her emotional rant was a deeply disturbing spectacle. It revealed a young woman, a girl, in essence, who is in the grip of terror, of a morbid, debilitating belief that life as we know it is coming to an end. You could not have asked for firmer proof that the green ideology is seriously screwing up the next generation by pumping them with fear and panic and a deranged belief that the end of the world is nigh. It isn’t the planet that needs saving – it’s Greta. She needs to be saved from the death cult of eco-alarmism.

It was a truly sad sight. Greta, 16, spoke through tears. And her tears were understandable given she believes life on Earth is being suffocated and murdered by greedy, marauding mankind. She berated the gathered heads of state. ‘You have stolen my dreams and my childhood… People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth. How dare you?’ With each nightmarish word, with each unhinged dystopian prediction of doom, her voice wobbled and her emotions span out of control. It was a public meltdown. And of course the politicians applauded it – perversely, they love nothing more than being told how awful they are by a petrified, disorientated girl.

Who did this to Greta? Who turned a bright and curious 16-year-old schoolgirl into a prophet of horror, into a young woman who admits to feeling terror and who believes the Earth is on fire? Adults did. The green-infused educational, political and cultural elites did. The people who have been feeding kids a narrative of eco-fear for years did this. Their secular Armageddonism, their wilful exaggeration of every problem mankind faces, their marshalling of the politics of fear to try to force people to change their allegedly wicked, eco-harmful behaviour – all of this has convinced many young people that the future is dark, mankind is doomed, and there is no point even going to school, far less planning one’s life, because we will all be dead soon. They did this to Greta, and to others, and it is unforgivable.

The extent to which adults have indoctrinated kids with eco-nihilistic fear was made clear in the words of the UN general-secretary Antonio Guterres. Opening the UN Climate Action Summit yesterday, at which Greta made her frazzled, tragic speech, he said: ‘Nature is angry.’ What is this superstition? It is positively pre-modern. This anthropomorphising of nature is central to the eco-alarmist outlook. It presents everything from forest fires to floods as punishment for humankind’s sins, as nature’s payback to the pox that is humanity and our ‘fairytales of eternal economic growth’, as Greta describes it. In Biblical times, freak weather and plagues of locusts were viewed as God’s punishment of human beings’ sinful behaviour; now we hear talk of ‘weather of mass destruction’ and ‘angry’ natural events that are apparently Gaia’s punishment of us for committing the sin of economic growth. The words change, but the backwardness and hysteria are eerily similar.

Greta Thunberg is admirable in many ways. She is driven and articulate. But it is patently clear now that she is being exploited. She is being pushed to the forefront of the most fearful and superstitious movement of our times. She has been turned into the chief spokesperson for doom, the mouthpiece of eco-misanthropy, a soothsayer of the horrors humankind will allegedly bring upon itself. The aim seems to be to make environmentalism an unquestionable, untouchable ideology. Witness how anyone who raises even a peep of criticism of eco-nonsense will now be asked: ‘How dare you criticise Greta and the other brave climate-striking children?’ These kids are being used as moral shields by adults to protect the increasingly bizarre politics of environmentalism from interrogation and criticism. It is dizzying in its cynicism.

And it is destructive, too. Destructive of public debate, destructive of critical discussion, and destructive of the kids who are being dragged into this terrifying, miserabilist worldview to play the role of a stage army to adult society’s own loss of faith in mankind and in economic growth. Enough. Set Greta free. Stop instructing her in the cult of fear and let her go back to school and to a normal youthful life. If you really must have a child speaking at the UN, how about a teenager from Africa or India who believes economic growth is not a fairytale but absolutely essential to their liberation from poverty? We’ve all heard more than enough from middle-class Westerners who think economic growth is oh-so-horrible. Let’s hear from someone in the teeming billions around the world who profoundly disagree with this downbeat, anti-human, Western-centric crap.

Brendan O’Neill is editor of spiked and host of the spiked podcast, The Brendan O’Neill Show. Subscribe to the podcast here. And find Brendan on Instagram: @burntoakboy

Picture by: Getty images.

Rod Liddle and Brendan O’Neill in conversation at Podcast Live!

Rod Liddle and Brendan O'Neill
– live in London

Podcast Live

Podcast Live, Friends House, London, NW1 2BJ – 5 October 2019, 2.30pm-3.30pm

To get tickets, click the button below, then scroll down to The Brendan O'Neill Show logo on the Podcast Live page.

Comments

Raymond Coulson

30th September 2019 at 9:37 am

Economic growth at present is not even necessary for the ‘rich world’ but it is essential for the ‘poor world’. if there was a pause for a year or two and the money that is used to drive the ‘rich’ economies ever onwards and upwards were to be used to improve the economies of the ‘poor countries’ instead, it would not hurt us that much and would enrich the lives of millions of people. Unfortunately because of the basic greediniess of humans the money and aid would have to be more strictly policed than it is at present, because leaders of poor countries have a tendency to steal the money that us given them for the improvement of their people. These leaders are not poor, they have a good life, but they still want more, just like most people in the ‘rich countries’

Lotty Admas

29th September 2019 at 12:00 am

I share an excerpt of text that has been posted by the ”Assciation Colectif Atypique”.

“Greta Thunberg is autistic. What happened to him at the UN is a symptom of the autism spectrum, called fusion. Fusion occurs when the autistic brain is overloaded with stimuli. It is an overload, like overheating and a short circuit, so that the autistic speaks louder or becomes irritated, hypersensitive. ”

Her reaction is not abnormal she is just autistic. It is a tendency for autistic people to be extremely passionate in a specific subject and it is normal for them to experience extreme emotions in what they are passionate about or concerned about.

30th September 2019 at 5:11 pm

Lotty Admas
Thunberg may be passionate , but unfortunately she has no scientific knowledge , quite a handy thing to have I would imagine if you put yourself on the world stage.

William Zappa

28th September 2019 at 8:14 am

Wow, Brendan, you really went for it with your views on Greta. And you turn out to be just as guilty of ‘hysterical outrage’ as the environmental movement you are railing against: you lump anyone who has a genuine concern and fear for the planet and humanity with others who push the boundaries of said ’hysterical outrage”.

When I was in high school, I remember having to line up in the street with the rest of the school, waiting to hear whether the Russians had pulled out of Cuba. If they hadn’t we had six minutes to get home before the first Russian missiles were possibly going to land in Essex and England generally.

I remember also, the weeks leading up to it and the nightly news updates about the developing situation and the words of President Kennedy. There were no adults in my family making me fearful, no teachers at school instilling fear. No my fear was from the news I was hearing on the radio, seeing on tv and perhaps reading the headlines in newspapers.

It was with this experience in mind that three or four years ago I started to wonder what the effect must be on young minds hearing things about Climate Change, because now the news is constant, and it is heard everywhere not just in the home after school. It’s in shops, at petrol station pumps, streaming on devices. It is incessant. And if I was a teenager today, I think I would be very scared. And I would be very angry because part of the news that I am hearing is telling me that science has been warning about this for decades. But it seems you want to replace this “miserabilist worldview” with us all becoming Nero’s and taking up our fiddles – ‘ignore the fire, listen to the music, it’s lovely’.

And why do you insist that anyone who cares for the environment must want the third world to stay poor? Your narrow view misses opportunities for solutions. For example, if the ‘first world’ really wants to have lions and tigers and orangutans and giraffes and tropical rain forests existing into the future, then perhaps we should pay for it.

I’m grateful that Spiked is free to read and I always find it a challenge. In essence I agree with what I believe Spiked stands for, but generally there is no joy, just anger and mockery and blind belief that even if people are ignorant about a subject their views must have full sway. If I am ignorant about something I have a choice to leave it to those who know and trust they will do the right thing, or find out what I can, join the discussion, learn more so that my opinion is based on knowledge, not on ignorance or prejudice or other social impositions.

29th September 2019 at 8:45 pm

Part 2 starts at around the 36 min mark and outlines the culprits of and reasons for the climate-hoax.

29th September 2019 at 8:46 pm

28th September 2019 at 2:26 am

Its just hit me.
I haven’t paid attention to Greta because she bores me, climate activists bore me, etc etc. I’ve read the Spiked articles published the last… 2 years. Right.
I just read an article about why Greta gets up the noses of the masses – she’s not sexualised, didn’t you know? (No, they chose the opposite route – pure, wholesome, childish – sound familiar? The Madonna/Whore binary. So, nothing original here.) And reading more of her speech and the numbers she’s citing… bam!
I’m a Bjorn Lomborg fan. Global warming scientist, believer, but skeptic of the policies that have been chosen and of course, castigator of the money being spent, the targets set, that will actually achieve nothing. In other words, they are all frauds.
Of course, he’s been exiled as a climate change denier. (Another favourite binary. Blind convert or heretic.)

Greta’s reprimands are not directed, as marketed, against the non-believers. They are directed at the establishment’s pro climate change policies. She’s pointing the finger at the UN, all the world leaders signing up to green policies and renewable energies and all touting their goodness and conversion to the cause.
But as Bjorn Lomborg knows, its all a crock. Its virtue signalling at its most destructive.

So we can all sit back and say, yep, listen to Greta. She’s right. They are liars and frauds – the whole green movement. They aren’t doing enough. They are lying to us. They are signing off on policies that will achieve nothing. The house will burn if they continue to do this.

Greta is a truth teller. To the very people promoting her. But they are too stupid to realise. These are the people who have cheered on this wasteful fiddling. (Where do solar panels get made en masse? China. How many coal fired power stations does China have? How many are in the works to be built? (Its something like 400.) What’s the lifespan of a solar panel? 20 years. How are they disposed of? Who knows?) Greta is pointing out THEIR hypocrisy.
She has kept their propaganda on board, she hasn’t ditched their fear mongering, but she’s come across (Swedish connection would help) the skeptics questioning climate policies and she’s kept their fear mongering but added the numbers that show their policies to counter the climate apocalypse are worthless.
You know… I’d be scared, too, if I was her.

Phew. Its such a relief to have gotten to the bottom of this strange, strange situation.

(I listened to that… what’s the word? Discussion BON had with a pro Greta person… attack, attack, attack – BON thought he’d gone in prepared, nope, the agenda got overtaken with personal attack, so that means he must be wrong, and the woman kept describing Greta as a lightening bolt. Yep. Directed at you, not BON, directed at YOU. (Fiona someone?))

29th September 2019 at 11:49 pm

Came to see if I’d freed myself from the moderator’s net. (I have a lot of back checking to do… I am just sooooo radical.)

I’ll just add… for all the reasons the world has a problem for what they are doing to her, the exploitation of someone with issues, means Greta doesn’t even know what she is doing. It would require the ability for insight and nuance. But as she says, she sees everything as black and white.

Rick Battams

27th September 2019 at 9:12 pm

Well, The ‘about’ on this website is useless. That’s the norm. I understand.

I saw the link to the Greta Thunberg article and figured that would give me an idea what this site’s political orientation is. I do realize that not every writer thinks exactly like, but I have other things to do.

Greta is absolutely being used. This was made clear by Cory Morningstar’s thorough investigation and reportage on “Wrong Kind Of Green.” The author, Brendan O’Neill, seems to pooh the idea of climate crisis. I don’t really have too much patience for that position. I’m a big fan of 21st Century Wire, where they (or some of them) also pooh pooh the idea of climate crisis. They are supporters of Cory’s work and know about the crowd of fakers – enviros in cahoots with CEOs and tool politicians – but don’t seem to get that that does not mean that capitalists can throw a zillion wrenches into the complex operating machinery that is the network of ecosystems enveloping the planet and see a good outcome. Is Brendon aware of that reality? Does he believe that capitalist growth and neoliberalism (totally freedom for corporations and powerful special interests) can have no impact on our liveable earth?

I’d have to spend more time here to get the feel for where folks here are coming from. Two articles by two different authors (the other article having to do with faker Jeremy Corbyn) doesn’t tell me a whole bunch, when I find one to be solid and the other to be not solid.

Maybe I’ll visit again.

Rick Battams (aka “A Yappy Trade Barrier”)

Janet Mozelewski

28th September 2019 at 10:56 am

Are you looking for consensus of opinion from all the writers? Are you looking for a consensus which exactly matches your own? Why?
I don’t come to Spiked because I agree, or expect to agree, with everything that is written (or even HOW everything is written which is rather different). I come because there are stimulating articles and an alternative view to the relentless agenda of MSM. It would be counter-productive, and hypocritical of me, to then feel that because a writer has a view that is not on the ‘accepted list of things to think’ it is a bad thing. At present climate change is at the top of that list. But I see many people who are strident about it despoiling the planet much more than me (who is a sceptic). One can be a ‘denier’ and still care about the planet. I do.

Ray Cendon

27th September 2019 at 7:13 am

Child exploitation takes many forms, but they are all unsavoury.

T Maz

27th September 2019 at 8:14 pm

Child abuse. As bad as anything the Church has done – much more widespread and reinforced by the deranged media.

Rick Battams

27th September 2019 at 9:26 pm

Oh gosh. There’s no end of it. With the Church, parents were usually unaware. I’m not sure that the same can be said about all else – Pokemon Go, vaccinations, the Epstein situation and the wider, ongoing intel community’s use of the very same kind of sex/blackmail operations. In the Christian Bible (I’m a Christian and I have ZERO use for Christendom, which means mainstream fake Christianity), Jehovah warns his people to not be like the pagans (forget who specifically) who sacrificed their children in the fire, a thing, God states, that has never come up into his heart. (So much for Christendom’s lie about hell.) But here we are; So many people, including relatively good people, are regularly sacrificing their children to ‘the fire’. I include faithless Palestinians in that, even though I’m a supporter of Palestinian human rights and have zero use for nazi Israel, which God will deal with.

I recently read Chris Hedges’s book titled “War Is A Force That Gives Us Meaning,” the first book by him that I didn’t think was great. Which isn’t to say that it was unimportant or valueless. Far from it. But that book was written by him just before his being rejected by the paper he worked for, namely the New York Times. The book is by Chris Hedges the NYT reporter and his views on a number of things, mainly Yugoslavia and Serbia, reflect that fact. But his in person accounts of war here and there are important. And his comments about Palestinians, which I’m sure they’d find difficult to read, are very important and mostly correct. But he makes the mistake of depicting the Palestinians as having equivalency with the Israelis. There’s a distinct lack of compassion there and a lack of emphasis on the fact of the violation of Palestinian human rights by Israel.

See “Sacrifice ‘for’ the children or ‘of’ the children?” – https://arrby.wordpress.com/2017/02/25/sacrifice-for-the-children-or-of-the-children/

We Love The Koch Brothers

26th September 2019 at 9:31 pm

27th September 2019 at 8:18 am

It shouldn’t be seen as any coincidence that every ‘man’ of the levt is fey and feminized.

William Jones

26th September 2019 at 6:25 pm

Whoever is promoting and supporting the mentioned child is doing so with the realization that children carry an emotional appeal and therefore add that aspect to the “cause” of global warming.

Mary Reimer

27th September 2019 at 5:30 pm

why does nobody read the Bible, everything is explained in there, if we believed what ‘s written in the Bible people wouldn’t be so terified, and the leaders of the world are using childeren to do this. all these green leaders are traveling by big cars and fly, why don’t they walk??

Janet Mozelewski

26th September 2019 at 12:04 pm

I have long seen environmentalism as a dangerous cult. Another arm of the ‘liberal’ elite’s global effort to subjugate ordinary working people going about their business. Climate change? Its all our fault. Our family car, our Sunday roast, our annual holiday. Nothing to do with their private jet travel, air conditioned villas, and heated pools.
I live in Normandy. I see people struggling on very low pay who are having the additional burden of climate tax placed upon them. VAT on domestic fuel is 20%. And that is 20% of a compound figure that already includes other tax. And these are people who already use very little electricity because they have small homes and simply cannot afford may appliances. (Central heating is rare here.)
It is another manifestation of the self-styled elite blaming everyone but themselves…after all in a post-industrial Europe why do they need us anyway? As a ‘liberal’ I work with put it: ‘everything is made in China’. To which I replied: ‘Does China have some kind of tent over it to stop the pollution getting out?’
I have two american friends who hold very opposite views. One is a staunch Republican the other a ‘woke’ Democrat. The latter is always accusing the former of being a ‘Climate Change Denier’ (which in itself reminds me of the rhetoric of the Catholic Church in the Medieval period). And yes, the Republican does not subscribe to the view that man is changing the climate. She is 90 and has weathered storms for generations and doesn’t believe the hysteria that happens every time a hurricane makes landfall. However, because she ‘denies’ the ‘truth’ of Climate Change she is therefore deemed responsible for it. The Democrat says so, and one can’t argue with facts like that. But the reality is that the old lady lives in a very modest little house and doesn’t have a car. Her accuser lives in a villa in Florida with air-conditioning, two cars (one of which is a hybrid), a pool and who regularly takes inter-continental flights and likes travelling to all those, um, unspoilt places where nature isn’t trampled by too many tourists of the poorer sort.
Kids like this one, and those who skipped school, need a lesson in humility. Want a lift to a friend’s party? Sorry can’t do that its our bit to save the world. Heating on in the bedroom? No. We’re saving the world, remember? Trip to MacD’s? Nooo too much packaging and meat. Can we go shopping? No we’re into recycling so lets simply patch up the old stuff and maybe make a ‘new’ skirt out of some old trousers, or cut down something to fit. Parents should embrace this change in their children. It could save them a fortune.

T Maz

27th September 2019 at 11:07 pm

Amen, sister. Global warming and a few other enviro issues are cult-like, but environmentalism itself is not. We have done a lot to clean up the air and water, and we could do more. But the media love the ‘crisis of the moment’ and create crises to garner eyeballs on their works. Ugly.

28th September 2019 at 3:16 am

Lovely post. So accurate it hurts.

facts only

26th September 2019 at 10:59 am

To all the readers who came here from B92: block that site immediately. There’s a plugin for Firefox called “Block Site”. All they do is copy articles from Daily Mail, Sputnik, Russia Today, Vecernje Novosti and other idiotic websites such as these.

facts only

26th September 2019 at 10:58 am

This blatant attack on Greta’s character is deeply disturbing, but unsurprising considering its source. Conservatism is a modern-day death cult that’s increasingly shifting towards authoritarianism, strong-arm tactics (UK, Brazil, Israel, US, Italy and so on and on) and ultimately, fascism.

We are in the middle of a sixth mass extinction event. There have been five other such events… In five hundred and eighty (580) million years… Is this supposed to be a coincidence? Is it a coincidence that global warming is happening just as man burned who knows how many billions of tons of oil that was previously underground along with other fossil fuels… The existence of humans isn’t even a footnote in the history of this planet, yet a mass extinction event fueled by global warming is happening right now. It’s estimated that the extinction rate is 100-1000 times the rate of natural extinction, as well as 10-100 times the rate of other mass extinctions. Just a coincidence, I bet…

That is affirmed by every scientist of note and worth, every biologist and climatologist… There is a widespread consensus on this. I know why you attack her and try to analyze her and smear her with your lies. You think that by discrediting her, that you defeat the ideas behind her as if she’s some final boss of climate change. But that’s not the case. You can’t attack her ideas because you are so g*d-damned ignorant, of your own volition by the way, so you attack her, which is pretty pathetic once you think about it.

To attack the ideas behind her, the science, you must invest time and effort, you must go through years of education and specialization that requires intelligence. That’s hard. Conservatives have stopped doing that because they’re totally out of their depth, so they resort to smear tactics and conspiracy theories.

26th September 2019 at 11:19 am

Can you explain how the medieval warm period ( warmer than today ) and the little ice age occured ?
Can you tell me why according to NASA’s own website the Antartic is growing in ice mass?
Can you tell me why extreme weather events according to the IPCC were at historically low levels last year ?
Can you tell me why some 50 to 60 % ( fifty to sixty !! ) of American states have had their hottest ever recorded years in the .. 1930’s ?
Your first paragraph is simply hysterical unsubstantiated garbage.

27th September 2019 at 2:53 pm

You won’t explain how I’m able to troll you for being a nazi, so it’s surprising that you exhort such a thing from others. How about some kund of explanation from you about how you allow me to troll you without response? This is my favourite troll-situation. I have a bitch that I’ve sussed, and yet won’t reply.

You’ve told us that you watch this kind of thing, Peeved Gobbett’s, and so I’d be shocked to see anynof your burblings here again.

This is how it’s gonna go down for you, Babydoll. You must think it’s a joke.

27th September 2019 at 2:56 pm

Let’s consider how it turned out for Queefer Moreswill. Steve is a dude, and Thomas has a huge heart.

You are a babydoll.

Queefer Moreswill had a bad end. You obviously do, to.

27th September 2019 at 3:00 pm

Do you still think I’m joking? Because that’s how it seems wirh Peeved Gobbett’s. Do you think I’m joking, Babydoll?

Jerry Oven-Kraut. I hate you.

27th September 2019 at 3:10 pm

My neighbour’s say l jam too loud, Oven-Bitch. And we all saw what you said about my jamming.

You’re gonna have to guess what l say about you at this stage, Oven-cretin. That’s because I’m not…allowed. Lucky, huh?

27th September 2019 at 3:14 pm

Jerry Oven-Kraut.

Do you remember what my reaction was to your complaint about us jamming too loud?

27th September 2019 at 3:18 pm

Oven-Bitch.

This a message to you. A vow, if you like. You’re in my oven, and I’ll take the greatest of pleasure in burning a total ar sehole like you.

27th September 2019 at 3:34 pm

I want you to forgive me, Steve Moxon. You’re obviously under no obligation to me whatsoever, and l won’t be holding you to anything. But its just that l feel that we are both missing out as far as being able to be brothers.

William Zappa

5th October 2019 at 1:04 am

Did you actually read what the NASA site said…. starting with this:

“Our findings don’t mean that Antarctica is growing; it’s still losing mass, even with the extra snowfall,” said Brooke Medley, a glaciologist with NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, and lead author of the study, which was published in Nature Climate Change on Dec. 10. “What it means, however, is that without these gains, we would have experienced even more sea level rise in the 20th century.”

T Maz

27th September 2019 at 8:18 pm

Great parody. Over the top with just the right amount of ‘facts’ that the uninformed will fall for. Bravo!!

Vlada Novi

26th September 2019 at 9:13 am

the question here is who is misled here.Mr. O’NEILL lives a nice life and probably never saw anyone he suffers. It would be good if he went to Greenland or Alaska or the north or south pole to see and understand what was going on. Maybe an island hit by a hurricane.or where are massive floods or big droughts. But such gentlemen are British and self-sufficient, who have drunk all the wit of this world. He is not interested and his ass hurts because he is from Britain. Who is normal is not for saving nature. He is a proponent of something much worse. it is a lot of money in the pocket of various oil lobbies. You can see who is the real target of his writing. It is certainly not Greta. Sir you are mistaken – billions are for a cleaner planet. You are a British bastard who thinks only of his ass. nature will come back for you once. Maybe his ass hurts because he’s already a gentleman for years so he won’t experience climate change because he will die soon so he doesn’t care. But he still loves a lot of money from the oil lobbies. A classic fool from Britain.

Janet Mozelewski

26th September 2019 at 12:44 pm

You seem to have an ass-fixation.
I presume you have been to all the places you invoke? I presume you have no carbon footprint (how is the clock-work internet connection by the way?) and don’t come from a place that uses oil. At all.
Hurricanes have happened long before the Industrial Revolution. The biggest storm to hit Britain in the last few hundred years occurred in the 18th century and resulted in thousands of wind-mills being destroyed by fire (due to the energy generated). I would believe those who subscribe to the Environmentalist cult were actually sincere…rather than virtue signalling….if they actually walked the walk (and scrapped the car) rather than talking the talk (and saying everyone else is to blame.)

26th September 2019 at 1:08 pm

Vlada Novi
It would indeed be interesting to visit Alaska and the South pole as both are getting colder.. best get the woolies on eh !!

28th September 2019 at 3:02 am

I think he’s looking for “butt-hurt”.

Miodrag Petrovic

26th September 2019 at 3:58 am

O’Neill is idiot, but smart all this for glory ccc😂 , i have a dream one day all this m.f. sent to mars😂 this is small step for man but huge for earth😉 dont worry people, soon is coming stone age👽👽👽

Janet Mozelewski

26th September 2019 at 12:46 pm

To some, apparently, quicker than to others.

25th September 2019 at 7:28 pm

Apparently St Greta says that if we don’t obey her she will never forgive us… Well for ten years anyway one has to presume !

kikon kikon

25th September 2019 at 5:02 pm

there are girls of other nationalities speaking up for the environment

of course she experiences disstress, but this article is a distusting attempt to discredit her, because of her age .. and use the fact that she showed emotions in this speech as a means to diminish the seriousness and thrutfulness of the message

which is, that we need a change of system.

the current systems are collapsing and we need people awakening to true values on which we can build this world, and continue building this world, as we don’t really have a chance

we need people who accept their responsibility,
people who have courage to speak the truth.

no matter what side, nationality, (perceived) race or ethnicity. no matter what is the age of the speaker.

yes, she is swedish. and there’s a reason why she is there. many small circumstances adding up to the fact that she can be in this position.
it is not random, and she is not lost

the article is written clearly by a right wing minded person with a very specific purpose.

25th September 2019 at 7:25 pm

K Kikon
We all want a good environment what are you talking about ?
You want to continue building the world. Build it to what .. the developed world level ?
If so how do you plan to provide say Africa or China with energy supply lines without using fossil fuels to power the necessary machinery to do so..pick and shovel ?

26th September 2019 at 4:13 am

Greta shows her white privilege in every single demand she makes. HER future, HER life, HER entitlement to dreams and experiences and joys. Now take it to the slums on the planet and tell them about Greta’s demand that they stay in the dirt to protect HER right to dwell on this planet.

As for her emotions… having finally caught up with what I’ve only read about… she needs a dramaturge the same as FF Phillips. She’s motivating herself, trying to get upset and when its not coming, she pulls those ridiculous faces.
She made a fool of herself.
Everything Spike has argued about was right there to be seen. Is it her fault she’s out of her depth? No. Is it her fault she doesn’t have the skills to deliver every time? That she lacks the judgement to adjust and shift when needed? No. That her message is just a boring repetition of the limits of her knowledge? She only repeats what has already been locked in. Over and over. With a side of cringe.

25th September 2019 at 2:17 pm

Strange video clip on BBC news online showing Ms Thunberg’s expression when the Prez rolled up at the climate conference unexpectedly.
Her facial expression says it all: How dare someone who disagrees with me steal the limelight, even if he is an elected leader.
Brightened up my cornflakes, anyway…

25th September 2019 at 3:47 pm

I bet it didn’t brighten up the snowflakes though !

Tadaaa Tadaaa

25th September 2019 at 7:51 am

Yawn

What’s is it with Brexiters and climate denial

Pedro Dias

25th September 2019 at 8:00 am

There’s nothing like far right to justify the unjustifiable. A bunch of cheap pseudo-intelectuals who when life doesn’t go well the only thing they know is to bully.

25th September 2019 at 2:07 pm

Well argued. (Boom tish)

26th September 2019 at 4:03 am

I believe in protecting and preserving the planet and I believe the UK should leave the EU.
What is it about so called environmentalists that actually think any of the policies signed off on and rejoiced over are actually doing a single thing to help the planet? EU sanctioned policies, EU touted policies… which, say, Germany, isn’t even sticking to.
Paris agreement? Not worth the tree that was felled and pulped for the paper it was written on.

Alastair McGowan

26th September 2019 at 6:41 am

Narrow-mindedness. Brexit and CC denial are an expression of an unwillingness to engage with the complexity of the world and realise that distant effects do not stay distant. I have been aware of environmental issues for 30-40 years and have read every book going, from silent Spring onwards. I am a critic of civilisation and capitalism. Not from a gut instinct narrow minded view but from a long-view of seeing humans as an ant colony that has found a kilo of sugar and gone off the rails in population terms. Now the sugar is not enough and we are clearing the forest too. Sooner or later the laws of physics will not seem so distant. My take on environmentalism takes in both the bright green (tech) solutions and the deep green back to basics views. I don’t see much in either except eventual human population collapse. My take is that it willbe a gradual grinding down as the forces of nature take hold. And by the time we have finally accepted the facts of nature and remembered how to live in ecological balance there may be far less than 100 million of us. This is not armageddon, it is chickens coming home to roost. It will be pain for millions, the pain of an addict in withdrawal. It is inevitable, and we should embrace it, and humanity tries to move forward to living at peace with itself and the planet. Greta is right and she is wrong. But i am with her in that i am against this system which is killing our souls (todayks children live in anxiety not because of ecological fear but because of socio-economic fear) and killing our beautiful pale blue dot.

26th September 2019 at 8:26 am

Fark off with ur humanist-alarmism horseshit.

26th September 2019 at 9:18 am

A MCGOWAN
In short species come and they go . Good observation, but one we all know already.

Janet Mozelewski

26th September 2019 at 1:05 pm

I am interested in your use of ‘us’. You appear to presume that you will be one of the 100 million. I wonder why? The faithful are always promised to be saved from the End of Days as a reward for following their chosen cult or religion. Is there some ‘ark’ being built which only true believers of Climate Change will be able to board? Or will the saved comprise of celebrities who can afford to cocoon themselves from its ill-effects? (I know what my money is on.)
I live in France….ah the Paris agreement etc etc….I know how many journeys are wasted over here by an over-blown bureaucracy. (Example: I had to drive a 100kms round trip TWICE to simply put a form in a box in a foyer of the city hall in Caen in order to register a car. Something that could and should have been done locally or via electronic means. But I daresay those quite unnecessary…but imposed…journeys raised some well-needed Tax. Which is then spent on yet more bureaucracy. )

Vlada Novi

26th September 2019 at 9:33 am

LOTS LOVE MONEY

Peter Goble

25th September 2019 at 7:09 am

I think Brendan, a driven controversialist with extreme views that jar with my own, identifies very sympathetically with Thunberg.

Brendan is similarly polite and buttoned up, his emotions always under control. Although I don’t share his point of view on hardly anything, I admire his honesty and insight. His views challenge mine intelligently and wholesomely.

I agree that Greta’s talents, conviction, passion and youth are being exploited. The cause may be worthy (IMO it is) but too much responsibility is being heaped on young, slight and innocent shoulders. As others have pointed out, she is at breaking point. Someone must assert responsibility for her welfare before she burns out completely, like the globe?

25th September 2019 at 6:00 am

Greta needs to be encouraged. I think she is truly onto something re plane shaming. You know, sic her onto those richies who couldn’t stay off a plane to, I don’t know, save the planet.
That will be the end to the Messiah’s run. Her flaw is addiction to attention and significance based on what she seems to truly think. She’s not political. She doesn’t understand the hypocrisies and self interests to be protected.
Roam free, Greta, roam free! Tell the immoral despots of the world what they are doing wrong! Start naming and shaming!

Rick Battams

28th September 2019 at 10:00 pm

Greta needs to be left alone, period.

Paul Carlin

25th September 2019 at 1:36 am

Given (and it is) that the principally perilous situation facing the human population on Earth is the exponential growth of that population, I’ve heard nothing from this little girl on her wishes, demands or plans to control that growth, and I’m a little sceptical of the basis of her protests, other than the obvious political one.

Steve Saint

26th September 2019 at 12:26 am

I could be wrong, but I believe your assumption there will be continuing exponential population growth to be wholly inaccurate.

It’s still in for some sizeable growth to be sure, but not everywhere and not for much longer.

Its consumption that’s the issue.

What’s really insane is that western countries that were in the right course of population REDUCTION have had illegal mass immigration imposed on them to massiveky boost numbers for business and party political intetests. To such an extent that illegal immigrants will outnumber the legitimate citizenry by mid century. No consent at all for this of course. So usual in modern day politics.

This is something I would like these western-centric eco-evangelists to address….I just wont hold my breath.

Pedro Dias

24th September 2019 at 11:29 pm

The title of this article should be “Save my shares on oil companies”, not “save Greta”….

25th September 2019 at 2:21 pm

Unless you walk and cycle everywhere, Pedro (and kudos if you do) what’s your point?

25th September 2019 at 3:46 pm

Pedro Dias
You’ve posted some absolute blinders here .. in fact I’m so blinded by them I haven’t got a clue what your’e wittering on about !

Pedro Dias

25th September 2019 at 10:20 pm

JERRY OWEN, don’t worry, there are loads of long canes for sale on eBay. Do you want a link?

26th September 2019 at 8:31 am

Here’s why, Jerry Oven-Kraut.

25th September 2019 at 10:51 pm

Why ?

Stephan Dyer

24th September 2019 at 11:16 pm

Twas a little sad to see someone so young with obviously psycological problems evolving from some adult suggestion regarding climate change which is a natural process.
People need to check our history.
I do agree that the human race should show more respect to its planet. This will eventually come hopefully through education.
I think there might be a few money pushers behind Greta’s pleas here.
The climate change issue is a billion dollar industry.
Hey. Just saying.
🎶😎👌🎶

Stephan Dyer

24th September 2019 at 11:27 pm

I do hope someone is keeping an eye on her psycological state.
A young person with such passion can turn suicidal.
Blessings to you Greta.
🎶😎👌🎶

25th September 2019 at 6:07 am

You picture her at 25… nothing left to exploit (she’d do better being at school learning some science, the genuine sort that will empower her to find better systems/solutions to fossil fuels), the same message for years, no change (seriously, what new material will she have for her next tour?), and no longer 16 and “cute”. She’s already shown she doesn’t cope when off script. You might be closer to a truth than any of those abusers could possibly know.

fret slider

24th September 2019 at 10:08 pm

death cult of environmentalism.

Oh indeed it is a cult.

“According to her mother Malena Ernman (48), 16-year-old Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg can see CO2 with the naked eye. She writes that in the book ‘Scenes from the heart. Our life for the climate’, which she wrote with her family.”

One really has to suspend one’s disbelief.

James Hillier

25th September 2019 at 10:17 am

Presumably the defence is that the mother said it, not Greta, and she was using a metaphor? Have they addressed this issue? Superficially, it looks like it should be painfully embarrassing and discrediting.

Janet Mozelewski

26th September 2019 at 1:18 pm

It really is pseudo-religious isn’t it? Humanity seems to need the crutch of ‘something to believe in’ just as it seems to need the abiding fear of the End of Days. I daresay Environmentalism IS the ascendant religion of the day. And any religion needs it saints and its martyrs. All the themes remain the same, just the terminology changes.
She reminds me forcibly of a young nun in my nearby town of Lisieux. All that innocent wisdom…along with a conveniently early death before she lost the loom of youth…created a cult that the basilica has been milking very successfully ever since. (Local cathedrals have chapels dedicated to her which have far more ‘offerings’ and votive candles in them than the ones to Jesus and Mary combined.) This story is, as so many readers here have perceived, only going to end one way.

Bear Mac Mathun

24th September 2019 at 10:05 pm

The response to Ms Thunberg’s rant demonstrates that we are in the grip of a Millennium madness, as has been send many times in the last millennium in Europe. Essentially, this is a secular version of the millennial cults, such as the Jehovahs Witnesses and Plymouth Brethren. The end of the world is expected and imminent doom is upon us, unless we repent and change our ways.

For good references to such groups and such movements in European history, there are two books I would highly recommend:

1. Norman Cohn “The Pursuit of the Millennium”, and
2. Roland Knox “Enthusiasm”.

Both are well written and researched books, and their lessons are obvious to this situation.

Garreth Byrne

24th September 2019 at 7:58 pm

I nod somewhat when I hear/read the words ‘fairytales of eternal economic growth’. Greta Thunberg isn’t the first to criticise the belief in eternal economic growth, especially if it uses up the earth’s finite fossil resources. I am reminded of the 1970 book “The Limits of Growth” published by an outfit calling itself The Club of Rome. Whether AGW is an apocalyptic threat or not, whether or not doomsayers are right to shout in unison a secular ‘Flee from the wrath to come’, the continual burning of fossil fuels increases international atmospheric pollution. This destroys forests (acid rain), spreads bronchial and carcenogenic disorders and damages the ozone layer. Millenarian rhetoric from religious or secular sources is to be treated with caution. Greta and her backers, like doom prophets in times gone by, are reacting to reckless wasteful human lifestyle on a global scale. It is that lifestyle we should continually examine and try to amend.

paul cusworth

24th September 2019 at 7:46 pm

I think her biggest problem is (apart from the fact she’s obviously unhinged) that she hates humanity, and would much prefer to live in a world full of wuffy, fluffy cuggerly animals, speaking of which, what’s with the curling of the upper lip and the bearing of teeth, don’t dogs do that when they’re under attack? I suppose I should have some sympathy, but I haven’t.

Cal Desmond-Pearson

24th September 2019 at 4:58 pm

O’Neill is a slug and bullying coward! How much did the Koch bros pay you for this piece!

fret slider

24th September 2019 at 10:12 pm

Greta is a victim of child use/abuse.

But its all in a good (misanthropic) cause

25th September 2019 at 2:26 pm

What a load of Koch!

26th September 2019 at 4:04 am

Isn’t down to a single Koch now?

29th September 2019 at 11:50 pm

So, Spiked is now Kochless?

(Couldn’t resist.)

30th September 2019 at 12:02 am

Oh, that comment being put in moderation is a real, real problem, Spiked. That is outright censorship. No swearing, just a one-line joke about Koch. That its an obvious one… you’ve adjusted the censor… C’mon. You have a dynamic website, digging into the mainstream spin and doing that most dreadful thing of all, empowering people with information and knowledge.

Dig deep and find some consistency, please. Please. I’m sick of being disappointed in this life.

Colin Campbell

24th September 2019 at 4:49 pm

Most people in my work canteen were laughing infact 99% but after that laughter settles you do ask whats going on in the world & who created this hysterical nonsense, the kids freak parents ? who’ve been weak enough to let themselves be taken over by the Green cult brainwashing & their now universal PC BS only for them to pass it down to their children?, irresponsible?.

This deliberate fear stategy is abusing our weak minded inc our nieve children & it is growing out of the now daily unchallenged ‘Fake News’, the nicey nice PC media editors who see everything in a perfect way have much to blame here.

We all do our bit in helping on the obvious, on the ‘Genuine’, ‘Realistic’ environmental issues ie in Ocean Pollution or Cleaner Fuel etc but throwing vulnarable kids out front to spout their exagerated nonsense is the last straw (Mcdonalds Straw??).

Fake news must be controlled, all journalists & media editors must be held responsible, they really are the real force of danger in a lot of things but this topic is a good example of their irresponsible journalism, along with the corrupt PAID scientists its more dangerous than anything else.

Coram Deo

24th September 2019 at 4:23 pm

ASPERGER SYNDROME & SPLITTING
Splitting is a term used in psychology and describes the inability of a person to hold opposing thoughts, feelings, or beliefs. Splitting is most often seen when a person sees or views the world in terms of ‘black and white ‘all or nothing. Splitting is known as a distorted way of thinking in which the person can only think in positive or negative attributes of a person or event and this Type of thinking is not measured, cohesive or rational. Those who engage in splitting typically view people, events, or even themselves in all or nothing, Black or White terms of thinking. The self-destructive behaviours come from a person who ‘splits’ because they typically frame people or events in terms that are absolute with no middle ground for discussion. The black-and-white all nothing thinking can be seen in people who view science, history, or news is either a “complete fact” or a “complete lie”. There is no middle ground. this pervasive style of thinking is damaging to others and the person doing the splitting. People who engage in splitting are reported to be observed as being overly dramatic or overwrought, especially when declaring things have either “completely fallen apart” or “completely turned around”. Remember they think in extremes. There is no grey or shades of grey. People who split have also been described as having behaviours such as acting out, without consideration or consequences. Presenting the person with alternate evidence and information does not appear to work presenting the person with alternate evidence and information does not appear to work. For example, presented them with evidence that proves otherwise they Are unable and or unwillingness to take a flexible point of you. They appear to be unable to take in the new information… At times even when given the proof, they will deny and consciously ignore the facts of reality. Their mode of communication exists of passive-aggression and an indirect expression of hostility. They are well known for projection which is assigning an undesirable emotion to someone else that they themselves have or do. They are well known for using omnipotence, the belief that a certain person possesses superiority in intelligence or power. Another well-known characteristic is emotional hypochondriasis and consists of trying to get others to understand how severe their emotional pain is. Tania A Marshall M. Sc.
Someone needs to deliver this young woman from exploitation which she is extremely susceptible to – or autistic burnout will surely follow – or worse.

26th September 2019 at 4:27 am

So THAT’S what’s wrong with Remainers. Gotcha.

(You are completely correct. The moment I heard she has autism… light bulb.)

Coram Deo

24th September 2019 at 4:21 pm

THE NAZI ROOTS OF ENVIRONMENTALISM & THE CLIMATE CHANGE
video – 27 minutes 3 seconds
In the second episode of Close Encounters, Rupert Darwall and Ben Weingarten discuss Darwall’s new book ‘Green Tyranny: Exposing the Totalitarian Roots of the Climate Industrial Complex’ and a series of topics including the Nazi roots of the modern environmentalist movement, Sweden’s environmentalist power grab, the anti-capitalist underpinnings of the environmentalist movement, the links between the acid rain fraud and today’s global warming movement, why the Paris climate accord represent a battle for America’s soul and much more.

facts only

26th September 2019 at 11:03 am

Ridiculous assertion. Nazis were pro-capitalism and pro-industry. As a matter of fact, they privatized more industry than any other capitalist society in the West at that time (other countries were more in favor of nationalization following the Great Depression). Their justifications for privatization would later be used by other capitalist societies in the West. Get an education before spreading ignorance.

Pandit Jones

24th September 2019 at 3:58 pm

When I point out some excesses of the hyperbole of climate alarmism, I am told I am not a scientist. Well, neither is Greta.

Paul Bruthiaux

24th September 2019 at 3:06 pm

‘You have stolen my dreams and my childhood… People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth. How dare you?’ This is coherent, idiomatic, fully grammatical modern English. Like many Swedes of her generation, she’s probably quite fluent in English. But that fluent? Really? Who scripted this and fed it to her?

Hugo van der Meer

24th September 2019 at 2:58 pm

Nevertheless. She could be on to something.

24th September 2019 at 3:43 pm

‘Could’ just doesn’t cut it for me !

Marvin Jones

24th September 2019 at 2:38 pm

Ignore all the sentimental asinine tripe being spouted from this BLIMP! her followers have not noticed yet. “SHE’S A PUPPET!”.

Identity Redacted

24th September 2019 at 2:26 pm

This girl has been brainwashed and exploited to the point of hysteria and an inevitable mental breakdown and likely suicide. And yet people are cheering this

Stephan Dyer

24th September 2019 at 11:24 pm

I have to admit, as a Counsellor, that thought did pass my mind when I read the introduction of Greta’s speech. I do hope, someone is keeping an eye on that. She may become the 1st environmentalist martyr.

Simon Smith

24th September 2019 at 1:40 pm

The article would be more persuasive if it marshalled a case to show that the forecasts of very great warming and biospheriic destruction were groundless panic, and not an accurate picture, to which Thunburg and others are reacting rationally. RCP, LM and early Spiked advanced the cause of science as enlightenment. Latterly, as the science has delivered a picture of regress, you’ve become rah rah optimists, devoid of content, focusing on personal insult and exaggeration (Thunburg was emotional, but anyone can see she remained in control; why say something we can see isn’t true? Thunburg did better than some of yr cadres in recent appearances). Climate change will destroy yr post-marxist project. You’ve become irrationalists of the pure political will, exactly what you once criticised.

steven brook

24th September 2019 at 1:02 pm

Stephen’s vision was grandiose: Along with his followers, he’d remove the Muslims from Jerusalem. But there was something else striking about Stephen—he was just 12 years old. In a state of mass hysteria, unarmed and unprepared, these kids were determined to strike out on a crusade of their own. But the Children’s Crusade of 1212, as it is now known, has gone down in history as a disaster.

Janet Mozelewski

26th September 2019 at 1:29 pm

Excellent analogy, And another reason why actual History isn’t taught in schools much nowadays.

24th September 2019 at 12:51 pm

Beta No’Zeal.

Just thought you’d like to know that the diversity-communists at ABC Australia have just been mentioning what a nazi you are on a ridiculous program called The Drum, for what you said about Thunberg months ago.

I listened to your discussion with Andy Ngo yesterday and enjoyed it up to the point where you were intellectually incapable of acknowledging the death-cult in yuor midst..even as you’re able to recognize the green-nazi’s as one.

Andy Redman

24th September 2019 at 11:59 am

Ignoring the fossil carbon climate change argument (which I would posit has proven an inconvenient distraction from a much clearer argument on energy), green issues seem to separate into to major areas – (i) the unnecessary creation of recalcitrant materials such as plastic bottles over the use of degradable or reusable media and (ii) energy. It’s (ii) that she’s really revved about, but (ii) is being solved, the next big step being efficient storage of intermittent electric supply to smooth the curve – https://www.rechargenews.com/transition/1821297/liquid-air-storage-offers-cheapest-route-to-24-hour-wind-and-solar

The thrid world can develop with national, self-contained, non-fossil solutions. One could argue it should have happened quicker, and that this lag has only served to drain wealth from nations to oil producers, and fair enough, that’s accurate – the solutions are not that hard to find.

It’s a complex matter and the whole argument relies upon where the line is drawn for what commercial activities are harming others, just like factories cannot pollute rivers or otherwise poison bystanders.

There is good ground for optimism, and we will be better with more abundant, cheaper energy available to everyone, which can be done, and better still will no longer involve wealth transfer to the middle east. But the flagellant troglodytism of the contemporary green movement is definitely counterproductive.

26th September 2019 at 4:35 am

Exactly. They’ve decided anyone who disagrees with how they go about helping the planet is a denier. Which just proves what utter, utter fwits they are.

Its a beauty that a hemp shopping bag is worse than plastic because of the CO2 emitted in its decomposition. The moment you hit that wall, you should know you are really on the wrong track.

Danny Rees

24th September 2019 at 11:57 am

Brendan does not take on Greta’s argument and instead hand wrings that she has been manipulated, brainwashed and is a victim.

Little of worth here then.

24th September 2019 at 12:24 pm

Danny Rees
Just what are Greta’s arguments ? I haven’t heard one yet .. or do you mean the statements that go like this :-
Our earth is on fire.
People are dying.
You must believe the science.
You are stealing my future.
These are just emotional statements form a juvenile with no factual basis.

Danny Rees

24th September 2019 at 2:22 pm

Those are her views and her arguments.

Brendan could prove them wrong instead of resorting to patronising her like a victim.

25th September 2019 at 2:38 pm

“Those are her views and her arguments.”

They’re not really ‘arguments’, though, are they?
Anyway, here goes:

‘The earth is on fire’. It has a molten core
‘People are dying.’. They always have. The more there are, the more will die.
‘You have stolen my future.’ a) in what regard. b) prove it.

Marvin Jones

24th September 2019 at 2:21 pm

Scumberg has been mentally damaged and radically tortured like a potential jihadi would be. So young and ignorant but so full of hate for Trump as proved in those pictures. This type of asinine and dangerous is encouraged by the extremely dangerous fanatics who are in control of this demon child.

Hugo van der Meer

24th September 2019 at 2:59 pm

Danny…I concur.

24th September 2019 at 3:45 pm

Sorry Danny I thought you had some arguments to back up Greta .. but you don’t, never mind .

24th September 2019 at 3:50 pm

Danny Rees
Arguments need to be backed up by evidence.. totally lacking in Greta’s case, can you cover for her ?

N Lightenment

24th September 2019 at 6:00 pm

If a silly little child claims that she’s seen the tooth fairy, it’s not the place of others to “prove” her wrong through the power of logic and reason; rather, it’s the duty of the child to supply the proof. Stating that the Earth is on fire, etc is not worthy of refutation, and Brendan’s dismissal of her is what anyone would reasonably expect.

Tim Hare

24th September 2019 at 11:41 am

We should only listen to Greta’s arguments. Her emotions are totally irrelevant. If she wants to be a force for climate change she needs to present better arguments than those who are skeptical. This is all that matters in this debate. Anyone who resorts to trying to emotionally manipulate the debate should be dismissed whether they are 16 or 60. Anyone who lets themselves be so manipulated by her also needs to take a good look at themselves.

Robert Spowart

24th September 2019 at 11:37 am

“Who turned a bright and curious 16-year-old schoolgirl into a prophet of horror,…”

Was she ever a bright and curious schoolgirl? The poor lass is mentally ill and her delusions are being fed and exploited by the very people who should be protecting her, her parents.

stefania bochicchio

24th September 2019 at 11:33 am

You are so deliciously triggered that you are showing who you really are https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/why-is-greta-thunberg-so-triggering-for-certain-men-1.4002264

Identity Redacted

24th September 2019 at 2:22 pm

What a ridiculous article. It states with no evidence that the Arctic is on fire, states that the Amazon is on fire as if this is a new development and not a common thing that has happened for decades. It’s just more fearmongering

24th September 2019 at 3:49 pm

S Bochicchio
I got as far as ‘the Arctic is on fire’… it was then I realized what a deranged link you had posted.
Tell me , just how does snow catch on fire ?

Amelia Cantor

24th September 2019 at 11:31 am

I did not cheer: I wept, then wept again, then wept some more.

Partly in admiration and awe at Greta’s passion and purity of purpose, but, yes, also partly in shame. But not for the reasons Brendan tries to impose on me. No, I wept that a vulnerable teenager is having to step up to the plate and swing a big bat of Truth and Morality on behalf of the Human Race. That should be the job of an adult.

What a sick and sorry world we live in, with a adult-with-the-mentality-of-a-child pulling the levers of power in the White House while powerless-but-pure Greta tries to bring the adult world to a sense of its responsibilities.

Mark Lambert

24th September 2019 at 11:38 am

“pure”?

Not getting into religious “virgin” territory are you?

Michael Lynch

24th September 2019 at 12:00 pm

This is real Joan of Arc stuff. These people are totally unhinged by their pure and absolute belief in the religion of Woke. The Inquisition will be following shortly!

Amelia Cantor

25th September 2019 at 10:07 am

No, there is nothing religious in the bad Christian sense about my admiration for Greta. She has science and rationality on her side, so there’s nothing superstitious or irrational in her campaign to save the Human Race.

cliff resnick

25th September 2019 at 2:14 pm

now we’ll have nun of that thank you very much!

24th September 2019 at 12:28 pm

Amelia Cantor
I am absolutely delighted to hear that you have been weeping , long may it continue.

Amelia Cantor

25th September 2019 at 10:19 am

You pathetic little pale male. Tears are a true badge of progressive purity and political decency, as you would know if you weren’t a moral, emotional and intellectual cripple.

But don’t worry: I spend a lot of time laughing too. At pathetic little pale males such as yourself, as you slide at an-ever-increasing rate into oblivion and obloquy (look it up).

25th September 2019 at 10:51 pm

Amelia Cantor
What science dies St Greta produce , please relay it here ?

24th September 2019 at 4:26 pm

Oh stop it Mr Doyle its getting embarrassing. We all know its you.

Amelia Cantor

24th September 2019 at 11:23 am

I look forward to every writer on Spiked being replaced by a Person of Colour from the “teeming billions” (racist trope, much?) by the end of next week.

Or perhaps not. Brendan’s posturing again, folks, and imagining himself as a crusader for humanity. The fact that Spiked’s political ideas — “free speech”, “the battle of ideas”, etc — don’t appeal in the slightest to the “teeming billions” is not something that ever impinges on his fantasies. I mean, what could be more “anti-human” and “Western-centric” than “free speech” for haters and fascists like likes of Donald Trump, Nigel Farage, Matteo Salvini and Viktor Orban?

William Zappa

28th September 2019 at 8:24 am

Good one Amelia.

William Zappa

5th October 2019 at 1:10 am

Good one Amelia!

24th September 2019 at 10:44 am

Science? Her parents encourage her in the belief that her autism is her “superpower”. They laid bare to the world in a book the illnesses of her and her sister. They think that talking publicly about such matters makes them more interesting and likeable people. It does not. It marks the out as attention seekers for whom no depth is too low to stoop to satisfy their craving.
God help the poor girl should she ever develop a love interest. It is strange that at 16 this has not manifested.

Social services in Sweden have abandoned her.
She is fed nonsense as science and has not the mental capacity to understand this, far less challenge or investigate.

She has learned how to turn on the waterworks, as do many women. But whether she can snap back out of it is another matter.

A young girl is being destroyed before our eyes and those whose duty is to protect her are revelling in it.

24th September 2019 at 12:34 pm

The cruelty being inflicted on this child is beyond my comprehension, and I feel very sorry for her, she has been totally groomed, her parents are simply evil I cannot think of any other word for them. This adolescent teenager is going to be mentally damaged permanently .. long after the left have spat her out for a newer more vulnerable version to hold up as a mascot

Jonathan Marshall

24th September 2019 at 4:29 pm

He mother claims Thunberg can “see” carbon dioxide – a colourless, odourless trace gas.
That, I think, says it all.

Janet Mozelewski

26th September 2019 at 10:09 pm

If she can see CO2 then surely its a good thing…it is tree-food afterall.

Chris Peacock

24th September 2019 at 10:43 am

Watching her was awful, the facial ticks, the emotion, the anxiety, the anger, shows that this is really affecting her psychologically. To hear this speech and then applaud it, well that is just weird, it’s like no one knows how to handle her/it, my instincts would be motherly, but is that infantilizing? probably, but if I was her mother, I would be really worried about her mental state. There is nothing wrong with being impassioned, but this has quite clearly gone way beyond that, I will also say this and its a bit dark, but those exploiting her, will continue to do so even if Greta is sent ‘over’ the edge, which lets face it, doesn’t seem that unlikely of a scenario, those exploiting her won’t engage in any self-reflection no, they will blame ‘us’ they will use her as a martyr, the whole thing is gross.

Mark Lambert

24th September 2019 at 11:06 am

It is impossible to discuss. The “Messiah” thing is spot on. Yesterday I showed concern not only for her, but for the kids who cry on TV, thinking they are going to die early. For that, I was called a “bully” and a “thug”. Just for written words of concern.

24th September 2019 at 11:45 am

” if Greta is sent ‘over’ the edge, which lets face it, doesn’t seem that unlikely of a scenario, those exploiting her won’t engage in any self-reflection no, they will blame ‘us’” and we will be told that her sacrifice will have been in vain if we do not do what she told us, as revealed by her mum.

Stephanie Prior

24th September 2019 at 10:23 am

‘You have stolen my dreams and my childhood…’ Over 1.5 million Jewish children died in the Holocaust, they had their dreams and childhood stolen, a privileged teenager from Sweden didn’t.

Puddy Cat

24th September 2019 at 10:01 am

It used to be the bogeyman, the wholly adult owned means of cowing children, before that it was the devil. The movement that Greta represents is wholly literate and dramatic and hardly refers to science (unless it is that ubiquitous cover-all ‘a scientist says). We have seen science discredited at every turn. A marvellous art that has transformed the expectation of the many and not the few and, as the article states, if the presentation was made by someone still gagging for the splendours of sanitation, meaningful labour, medicine and time in which to relax, be creative, then the story would be totally the opposite.

Born into an artistic milieu Thurnberg is pre-programmed for drama. For a person yet to have life experience and to develop attachment or become an originator being fed the climate story is all she needed to allow her to emote in the way she does. One would have thought that the shock and dilemmas of puberty would have been sufficient drama for one of this age but judging by the intensity of her delivery, almost like an out of body experience, she is in a turbulent place within.

We have in our politics now a tick-list of respectability which has to be fully and positively applied. We have a stack of isms that must be conformed with even before anything original or progressive can be addressed. As we have seen from Brexit the vote means nothing. Activism focuses on its shibboleth while Government is still asked to show balance and sagacity. States are being outgunned by inflated rhetoric issued by the unaccountable. The slew of touchy-feely nature programmes on the BBC are very big in baby animals and pristine environments and the chilling dialogue of the interlocutor suggesting what the fate of all this cuddlyiness is going to be, its almost as though they are saying your hamster is next.

Rather than testifying to some imaginary talk of stasis in the progress of man children are not being instructed of its eternal tale of endings and new beginnings and therefore projected into a false world of unchanging Elysium. While we should undoubtedly do more to protect nature as long as there are massive housing schemes and the continued idea of human flotsam settling-out in places it was never intended to silt-up then we are arguing both ends against the middle. All the false witness has to do is to attach to the rantings of literature and to be inveigled into a dark place by illusory imagery. Behind all of this mania is the increasingly opaque world of politics which the ballot box seems increasingly difficult to bring any light to.

People are taking power on the back of contrary speculation and Mephistophelean scenarios and the less this antiscience is confronted means that the addresses will become ever more shrill until we lose sight completely of what the truth was. Stop this drama now. Stop this confection of reality TV.

Rap scallion

24th September 2019 at 9:53 am

The Left as ever, ALWAYS go too far. Most decent, reasonable people will see this use and exploitation of a vulnerable 16yr old as child abuse. For that is precisely what it is

H McLean

24th September 2019 at 9:45 am

I found Thunberg’s speech profoundly unsettling and not because of the impending end of the world she was proclaiming. This Climate Change Emergency is now a full-on, all-the-way-to-eleven cult. I’m starting to feel like if I’m in The Twilight Zone. Some people I know have started becoming very shrill and even though I’m respectful and try to keep my ideological distance (for the sake of being polite) they KNOW I’m not into it the way they are (because I didn’t go to the school climate change strike with all our schoolkids last Friday) and they’re all looking at me like Donald Sutherland going ‘Wwwrraaaagghhhhh’ in Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Honestly, I think this is the tipping point where the west is well and truly farked. All mainstream politicians are petrified of saying anything against this climate change alarmism, even though at least half of them must know it’s extremely dodgy science with a history of backwards predictions. There are multiple neoMarxist policies being slipped in under the guise of ‘climate justice’, ‘ecological inequality’ and ‘redistribution of resources’. I don’t see any way of stopping this mad march off a cliff but to paraphrase Boris J, I’d sooner die in a ditch than become an acolyte of Greta and the unhinged mob of climate change fanatics.

Mark Lambert

24th September 2019 at 10:34 am

Yes. Try to have a discussion about the methods used by Extinction Rebellion or Greta and see the rebuttals. The rebuttals will be along the lines of “bully”, “the world is dying” etc, and at that point you haven’t even gone near any climate change claims. It is impossible to discuss with reason.

Robert Spowart

24th September 2019 at 11:41 am

I find it interesting how, with a World Establishment so dismissive of “Populism”, we are seeing the hysterical populism of St. Greta Aspergia accepted without question.

John Millson

24th September 2019 at 9:42 am

Agreed, Greta-cultism is not attractive but it is extraordinary that anyone would think a teenager is being ‘exploited’ by a ‘wicked’ adult environmentalists. We need more teenagers speaking from the heart, not to counter to Greta Thunberg but to make it ‘less about her’.
Get real. Cutting greenhouse gas emissions does not mean the end of economic growth. Earth is where human beings come from and belong to. It is normal and natural to cut back, conserve and not dominate.
”God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and every creature that crawls upon the earth.”? Yeah, maybe when ‘underrated’ human beings were divided up into little miserable, fearful tribes.

Marvin Jones

24th September 2019 at 2:35 pm

It’s the multiplying that could be a bigger threat for the planet, especially seeing what the human race is mutating back into.

26th September 2019 at 4:24 am

The policies pursued by the green politicos is what kills economic growth. There is plenty of room to adjust our behaviours and develop new technologies or convert to existing (nuclear) ones to help the planet. But instead, its all NOW NOW NOW, costing a bomb, shutting down industry, costing jobs, with zero reliability, zero effectiveness… for absolutely no gain.
They are frauds.

24th September 2019 at 9:20 am

Couldn’t agree more but question Greta being articulate, I think her ‘words of doom’ are written for her.
Without going into the ‘ins and outs’ of climate change. A question I have asked many times without answer, is why don’t those that have the ‘settled science’ on their side rubbish the ‘non believers’ with their array of dazzling scientific debate winners ? Why is there no discussion of exactly what CO2 is and how higher levels have made our planet far more inhabitable in the past ? For public debate just narrowing the ‘science’ to be about only CO2 which we do know an awful lot about geologically speaking could be a way of narrowing down this huge topic to layman terms but they won’t , why ?
The BBC would just love to grind the ‘deniers’ into the ground once and for all, but they refuse to have them on. Other climate zealots are suggesting that ‘deniers’ should be punished. Surely if you have science on your side you use it to support your theory or case and demolish other scientific theories with it. Perhaps I’m missing something and if I am then the ‘settled science’ clearly isn’t good enough !
Lastly, the Sun is entering a solar minimum, it is going to get very cold.. Europe let’s not forget was once under 3 miles of ice, this will happen again ( not in our lifetime of course ) , we need to see the far bigger picture, and that is that humanity is here on this planet at a very opportune time and at present we don’t even know if we are the only life in the universe. We should grasp this wonderful opportunity to exist with open arms and make it as comfortable for all mankind as possible , that of course means using fossil fuels.
Let’s dig that coal up, let’s get that gas out, let’s use the fracking technology, let’s build more nuclear power plants, there is a virtually limitless amount of energy on this planet for every single human on it. Dare I say ‘equality for all’ without sounding like a socialist ?

24th September 2019 at 9:24 am

* Goodness, I forgot .. most importantly of all let’s get that oil up ! *

Michael Lynch

24th September 2019 at 1:01 pm

Jerry, they’d probably accuse climate change deniers of jacking up the brick pier. Either that or they’ll come up with the theory that because the ice is missing then it’s missing weight has made the earth’s crust raise up negating the effects of sea level rise. If they can misuse children then they’re capable of doing and saying anything. There’s never none so blind than those who refuse to see!

Michael Lynch

24th September 2019 at 9:56 am

You are right. For all the scientists know, this period of warming may be a natural prelude to a forthcoming Ice Age. Some studies indicate that we are long overdue another and that the artificial warming caused by human activity is merely delaying the inevitable. They simply don’t know because they don’t have enough data as to what causes these events. How could they? In fact, I was watching a Sky News reporter in Iceland the other day. He was saying how much of the Ice had disappeared and that this is contributing to massive sea level rise. Well if that was the case why isn’t New York and East Anglia under water? Why isn’t the Thames flood barrier inundated and unable to cope with this deluge? There seems to be a massive disconnect between what they say is happening and what is really happening. I think these are reasonable questions that need to be answered coherently. Instead, we are getting screamed and wailed at by children; not exactly the best way to engage in rational debate.

24th September 2019 at 12:47 pm

Michael Lynch
I have a photo which I keep on my phone, it shows two photographs of the same brick pier taken from exactly the same position. One photo was taken in 1910 and one the present year .. strangely the tide line mark hasn’t risen in over hundred years by one cm . But perhaps sea level rises are a local thing !

24th September 2019 at 3:55 pm

Michael Lynch ( why isn’t it possible to reply directly to some posts ? )
If the arctic snow and ice can catch fire then clearly physics as we know them are wrong , and water doesn’t find it’s own level after all. Especially on the beach front Condos the Hollywood / political set own where the levels stay lower !

26th September 2019 at 4:20 am

You’ve just hit on one of the biggest reasons why they’ve pushed a 16 year old at the world. To get it the hell away from real science.

Yes, its been known for decades. We have more to fear from a cooling planet than a warming one.
Its one of the things I’ve loathed the most about this “debate”. The narcissism of the human component.
We are the most invulnerable animal on the planet. Warmer, wetter, drier, whatever, we are the most capable of adapting and surviving. But its humans they’ve brought it all down to. If they talked about the little insects and shellfish and the biodiversity that if the warming is too quick and can’t evolve in time (especially whilst they compete with the humans on the planet), then people just… well, won’t care. All of the famous people will deviate to other “cool” but incredibly safe politics and their gravy train would be over.

The Angry Voter

24th September 2019 at 9:15 am

How will Greta die? That will be the next question. She is undoubtedly being exploited, but they now need to make her a martyr Joan of Arc style before she gets old enough to start thinking for herself.

My guess is a meat eating mid western American that can be linked to oil or factory farming with a gun. But it could be a solar powered plane crash as she flies back to Europe.

Marvin Jones

24th September 2019 at 2:28 pm

Maybe, when she is back to dwelling in a cave unable to burn any fossil fuels as they would end the world, unable to use animal hide to hide from the winters, she could freeze to death.

Michael Lynch

24th September 2019 at 8:52 am

Great article. It’s sickening to watch the depths that the new woke generation will go to scream their illiberal authoritarianism. For my generation the end of the world was going to come via a barrage of nuclear weapons, but even the leaders of organizations like CND would have baulked at the idea of using children to hammer home their message. Indeed, we were protected from all of that by our parents and by the fact that we weren’t bombarded by social media, or 24 hour news, all the time. I’ve heard that the Greta grimace at Trump has gone viral this morning, the so called Liberal Left squirming with delight at the opportunity to bash the Donald. To use children in this way is way beyond the pale and the more they do it, the more ordinary people will be put off.

24th September 2019 at 9:04 am

They wont stop. They will use children committing suicide as more evidence that the West needs to be destroyed.

Chris Peacock

24th September 2019 at 10:44 am

Absolutely, I’ve just -pretty much said the same thing.
It will be ‘our’ fault if Great is sent over the edge.

24th September 2019 at 11:47 am

“It’s sickening to watch the depths that the new woke generation will go to scream their illiberal authoritarianism.

I don’t disagree, but she didn’t invite herself to address the UN. What do these people think that a 16-year-old can tell them that accredited experts can’t? Do they want to look like they’re listening to young people? If so, why don’t they invite a slum-dwelling child from a poor country and hear a possibly different point of view?
Cynics might think that the UN delegates just welcome any opportunity to make themselves look more relevant (and in some cases, less corrupt).

Michael Lynch

24th September 2019 at 12:06 pm

Don’t worry, they have no intention of inviting slum dwelling children. They might have to look real poverty in the face as they attempt to destroy their emancipation via their own Industrial Revolution.

26th September 2019 at 4:14 am

Reply to M Lynch. Apologies… I just had a crack about the same thing, then read your comment. Yes, that is the real truth going on here and one of the biggest frauds about the Greta phenomenon.