Deplorables: Trump, Brexit and the Demonised Masses

Watch spiked’s new film about the transatlantic populist revolt.

Topics Brexit USA

Brexit and Trump were two ballot-box revolts that, though different in many ways, shared one clear thing in common: the fury they provoked from the establishment. Politicians and commentators, in the US and UK, immediately denounced voters as uneducated, racist and deplorable. Democracy itself was called into question.

We travelled from the Rust Belt to the Essex coast, talking to writers, academics and voters, to find out who these so-called Deplorables really are, how we got here, and where these populist revolts might be headed next. This is not a film about Donald Trump or Boris Johnson; it is not about those members of the elite that benefit somewhat from the new populist movements. It is a film about voters – the people who had long been forgotten, but who now cannot be ignored. We hope you enjoy it.

Comments

woweco6974 woweco6974

13th November 2019 at 5:38 pm

My last month’s online earning was $17593 just by doing an easy job online. Easiest home based online job to earn extra dollars every month just by doing work for maximum 2 to 3 hrs a day. I have joined this job about 3 months ago and in my first month i have made $12k+ easily without any special online experience. Everybody on this earth can get this job today and start making cash online by just follow details on this website……….HERE::::: www.golden.jobs67.com

woweco6974 woweco6974

12th November 2019 at 5:30 pm

Mostly we face problems while making monthly budget because lack of opportunities and working sills of we don’t now form where we will get proper plate form to earn some extra income. I also face such problem but my buddy tell me about this website link i recommend you to join and earn from very first moment after joining. no skill or experience required just join the link……….golden.jobs67.com

Michael Lynch

22nd September 2019 at 1:22 pm

Excellent video. It has precisely nailed the current situation. The Trump/Brexit vote is all about a large disenfranchised population against a political elite who are still clinging to the status quo. They will have to shift their view because these large populations are not going to go away no matter what. Well done Spiked.

Brandy Cluster

22nd September 2019 at 7:39 am

THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT BRITAIN’S FINEST HOUR!!

Jim Crayfer

21st September 2019 at 11:04 pm

If the Democrats want to defeat Donald Trump they better do it fair and square. If they cheat they will find out what “deplorable” really means.

Amin Readh

20th September 2019 at 9:53 pm

If Whites play ID politics it is good. Minorities do it bad. This is ALL Brendan O’Neill. How does he make his money?

21st September 2019 at 9:07 am

You told us on another thread that Kuennsberg was pro Brexit.
I asked you for evidence … Where is it Amin?

Amin Readh

22nd September 2019 at 2:38 am

@ Jerry Owen

You first.As it was your claim to the opposite…

21st September 2019 at 11:30 am

I don’t know how he makes his money? You? How much he makes? Why not contact Spіked and ask him?

I didn’t hear anything about it in the podcast. Did you? Did you listen to it? Did you cross check anything that was said?

One thing I have worked out about his money. He works for it. Long and hard.

Amin Readh

22nd September 2019 at 2:40 am

@ Jim Lawrie

Why be so coy? We both know where I was aiming…and how right I am about it!

I am glad you at least inadvertently agree.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

20th September 2019 at 8:42 pm

Down with this sort of thing.

Jonathan Yonge

20th September 2019 at 8:02 pm

Absolutely brilliant video

20th September 2019 at 4:49 pm

I prefer “contemptible”.

Jonathan Yonge

20th September 2019 at 7:38 pm

Oh no. ‘Deplorable’ is far more snooty (and I should know)