Roger Scruton and the burden of non-conformism

A great thinker and a true cultural dissident – he will be missed.

Frank Furedi

The death of Roger Scruton is a devastating loss for his family, and also for the intellectual life of Europe.

He was without doubt the continent’s leading conservative thinker. Unlike most philosophers, he was an active public figure who bravely fought for unfashionable but vitally important causes. He was a traditional Tory who served as an adviser to Margaret Thatcher and other party leaders. Yet in my conversations with him, I was never in any doubt that I was talking to a genuine Renaissance man.

He could effortlessly shift the discussion from Kant’s Critique of Judgment to Burke’s idea of the sublime and then offer reflections on current trends in art, music and culture.

He was a prolific writer, whose interests ranged from wine to sexual desire through to beauty and aesthetics. His writings on the meaning of conservatism stand out as some of the most accessible contributions to that political tradition.

His writings inspired many to understand that our traditions are precious assets that must be preserved for the benefit of future generations. He taught that art and education must be appreciated in their own right. In contrast to the current relativistic climate, he upheld the primacy of moral judgment. His views were dismissed by his utilitarian and technocratic critics as old-fashioned and irrelevant. However, his writings showed that humanity’s legacy, its past moral and aesthetic achievements, endured and continued to inspire those who cared to open their eyes.

Though many saw Scruton as an archetypal English patriot and intellectual, his influence extended throughout the world. He inspired conservatives throughout Europe, the United States and Australia. He was particularly loved by Eastern Europeans: they remembered his solidarity and support for dissidents in the Cold War era.

He became a point of reference for people who took pride in their national traditions and way of life. In my travels throughout Europe, I frequently get the impression that Scruton is more widely read and appreciated outside the UK than within it.

I first encountered the venomous hatred these people directed at him in the spring of 1987. I was sitting in the senior common room of my college, perusing a copy of his book Art and Imagination, when one of my colleagues confronted me and asked: ‘Why are you reading that shit?’ When I explained that I was interested in the philosophy of mind, my colleague gave me a look of contempt and reprimanded me for wasting my time on a ‘right-wing bigot’.

Sadly, in recent years the climate of intolerance towards conservative voices has intensified and Scruton had to bear the brunt of the animosity against cultural dissidents. Throughout his life, he bravely faced his critics. However, even he must have been unprepared for what he described as the ‘hate storm’ provoked by his appointment as chair of the UK government’s Building Better, Building Beautiful Commission in 2018.

He was brutally attacked by sections of the media following the publication of a heavily doctored interview in the New Statesman that suggested he was a bigoted anti-Semite. What must have pained him most was the refusal of Theresa May’s Tory government to support him. The government responded to the witch-hunt by relieving him of his post. Officials cowardly acquiesced to a campaign designed to ruin Scruton’s reputation and name.

Fortunately, the New Statesman interview was eventually exposed for what it was: a lowlife journalistic hit-job. Nevertheless, this incident, which coincided with Scruton’s failing health, took its toll. Reflecting on the events of 2019, Scruton noted that ‘during this year much was taken from me – my reputation, my standing as a public intellectual, my position in the Conservative movement, my peace of mind, my health’.

Last month, when I saw Roger at the Hungarian Embassy in London, where he was awarded an honour by prime minister Viktor Orbán, I was struck by the serene fortitude of a man facing the end of his journey. He must have known, though, that although he was frail in body, his formidable contribution to European culture remained strong and would continue to influence and inspire future generations.

Conservatives are often dismissed as boring conformists. Scruton was anything but boring. Through the example he set, he demonstrated that genuine conservatism is antithetical to the cultural conventions of our time. His refusal to acquiesce to the prevailing zeitgeist suggests that in today’s Anglo- American sphere, genuine conservatives must now be ready to bear the burden of non-conformism.

Frank Furedi’s How Fear Works: the Culture of Fear in the 21st Century is published by Bloomsbury Press.

No paywall. No subscriptions.
spiked is free for all.

Donate today to keep us fighting.

Comments

cliff resnick

13th January 2020 at 2:02 pm

In an age of mediocrity Roger Scruton was a top Premier League intellectual of the old School and an example to all those looking to understand ideas where they came from and they might mean.

13th January 2020 at 12:59 pm

At least we have hours and hours of the great mans thoughts that will always be with us.What a brave life he led. Puts us all to shame really. That he is celebrated in the places that suffered the worst from the terrible ideas of the left says it all really.

Jonnie Henly

13th January 2020 at 11:57 am

“In the current era, it is not easy to be a conservative intellectual. Anyone who upholds traditional conservative ideals is likely to court unpopularity. Those, like Scruton, who speak with great eloquence and subtlety often find themselves maligned by the post-Sixties cultural establishment.”

It is ironic that the people who complain loudest about the prevalence of “victim culture” are so often the keenest to paint themselves and those they agree with as being the persecuted, victimised underdog.

Say what you will about Scruton, but the fact he was feted by so many prominent figures makes the claim he was maligned by the establishment appear flimsy at best.

steve moxon

13th January 2020 at 12:50 pm

Just what weird planet is Jon Hen on?
The appalling behaviour by the wokey pokey establishment — that’s the great bulk of the establishment, in pretty well every section, nook & cranny of it – -against Roger Scruton hardly could be better documented.
He doesn’t like historical record does our Jon.

Jonnie Henly

13th January 2020 at 1:12 pm

It’s so well documented that despite able opportunity Steve can never produce any convincing evidence of it beyond his usual copy paste routine.

steve moxon

13th January 2020 at 2:17 pm

Wha hae! So all the reporting of the ridiculous and dreadful treatment of Roger Scruton is just folk copy-pasting fake news then, eh Jon?!
JesusFC.

Jonnie Henly

13th January 2020 at 11:40 pm

No, it’s a load of sanctimonious, self pitying whining with very little evidence or context applied.

Like many Conservative bug-bears then!

steve moxon

13th January 2020 at 11:29 am

Well said Frank.
I met Sir Roger when I was invited to speak at some Conservative conference (Young Britons? I can’t remember). I recall a bevy* of young beauties, a posh venue out in the sticks somewhere down south, mountains of grand nosh and wine, and a bow-tied Sir Roger, who took trouble to carefully outline a position to me (a nobody who had been working in the Gnome Orifice in immigration, who become a ‘whistle-blower’). In a private one-to-one, he was obviously a careful, deep thinker, and a very personable real gentlemen.
[* This is the customary term, I gather, for a posse of lovelies, though I thought it was to do with beer.]

Alex Ander

13th January 2020 at 11:24 am

Sad news – RIP

Michael Lynch

13th January 2020 at 10:31 am

According to woke philosophy it’s not just a crime to be a Conservative, it’s also a crime to think for yourself.

Jonnie Henly

13th January 2020 at 11:53 am

No it isn’t.

steve moxon

13th January 2020 at 12:52 pm

Yes, in a very real sense it is.
Of course, Leftard bigots refuse to admit they well see it, even when it cannot but smack ’em on the nose.

Jonnie Henly

13th January 2020 at 1:13 pm

Left wingers aren’t going to believe you just because you copy paste your BS a few dozen more times.

steve moxon

13th January 2020 at 2:15 pm

False. ‘Left wingers’ just refuse to see anything outside of the rectum of their hopeless-fit-with-reality ideology. No problem there: the sooner Left monumental BS implodes and we get proper politics.

Jonnie Henly

13th January 2020 at 11:49 pm

You have nothing to show, Steve. Therefore no one will see it.

And that’s no loss to anyone.

Aunty Podes

17th January 2020 at 10:50 pm

Your posts are so typical of the Control/ Left freaks. Low on content – big on bull-shine.

13th January 2020 at 8:49 am

“reprimanded me for wasting my time on a ‘right-wing bigot’.”

That sounds about right for modern academia in the UK. Free exchange of ideas, but only those with which you happen to agree.

Evelyn Ella

13th January 2020 at 5:59 am

I am now making over $15k every month just by doing an easy job online from home using my laptop. Everybody can now get this and start making extra dollars online by just follow instructions on this website.. https://www.workbaar.com

Aunty Podes

17th January 2020 at 10:47 pm

H E L L O H – OH!
If anybody is up there watching – get rid of this woman and her crap, please!

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

13th January 2020 at 1:04 am

RIP Roger Scruton. It is a shame that there are so few freethinkers left in this country and in the west in general. Scruton understood the centrality of Christianity in western culture. The west and its freedoms cannot survive the loss of our Ancient and Most Excellent Religion.

SDG

Neil McCaughan

12th January 2020 at 11:34 pm

“the refusal of Theresa May’s Tory government to support him.”
That should read “Theresa May’s Quisling government”.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

13th January 2020 at 1:08 am

You Brexiters just can’t get over the fact that you ‘won’, can you?

Aunty Podes

17th January 2020 at 10:57 pm

Of course not – we rejoice in the final win – but not nearly as much as the losers, rather like the D卐M☭CRAPS in the US, gnash their teeth, tear their hair out and generally make even bigger fools of themselves.

Martyn Rady

12th January 2020 at 11:28 pm

I was always an admirer of him although I found his writing hard (a reflection on myself here). His contribution to the underground university in Prague in the 1980s was outstanding and heroic. What disappointed me was the link Frank Furedi mentions–to the Orban government. Here, Scruton fell into the same trap as Norman Stone by believing Orban’s anti-EU rhetoric and not delving just a little bit deeper. The Orban mob are just that–a bunch of crooks who use conservatism as a cloak for theft. Wise to keep a distance.

ZENOBIA PALMYRA

13th January 2020 at 1:06 am

Agreed. I don’t care how much influence Soros has. Orban is no democrat.

13th January 2020 at 11:00 am

The award stands on its own as recognition and appreciation from The Nation of Hungary.

Mr Furedi did not mention the Orban government, just Orban himself as the presenter of the award in the capacity of his office. You use this as an opportunity for a little invective. Do you think the award was for his support of East European dissidence or for supporting Orban?

12th January 2020 at 10:05 pm

To be a conservative today like Scruton looks radical and progressive. In contrast todays “progressives” are depressingly backward and conservative.

Confirms we should be wary self identification.

K Tojo

12th January 2020 at 8:57 pm

After receiving little more than a slap on the wrist George Eaton is back in a prominent position at the New Statesman.

Aunty Podes

17th January 2020 at 10:52 pm

Were they so harsh on him? That’s a surprise!

Geoff Cox

12th January 2020 at 8:52 pm

Well, this is terribly sad new. However we will always have his work and you will not spend a better one and a half hours than watching this video with Douglas Murray.

Aunty Podes

17th January 2020 at 11:02 pm

Hey – thanks for that! To my shame, I know little of Scruton – perhaps an indication of the power of suppression in the media? I am confident that his discussion with Murray will be well worth viewing.