‘Forget saving the planet – we need to save Greta’

Listen to Brendan O’Neill on TALKradio discussing TIME magazine’s decision to make Greta Thunberg its Person of the Year and arguing that Greta is being exploited by greens.

Comments

Noel Mac

24th December 2019 at 7:50 pm

This disturbing and disturbed young woman needs to go back to school

Joseph Brown

20th December 2019 at 8:58 pm

“You stole my childhood”

No Greta, that’ll be the shameful adults using you for their own ends.

Ian Barton

27th December 2019 at 12:40 pm

Just who IS behind this girl?

Marvin Jones

18th December 2019 at 2:35 pm

NAH! leave her. She should have learnt to swim before jumping into the deep end. It’s common sense and intelligence she needs to learn.

Hugo van der Meer

17th December 2019 at 4:04 pm

She is an irritating diminutive chipmunk.

Warren Duignan

17th December 2019 at 2:51 pm

She’s the PR face of the whole Climate change fraud.

Lord Anubis

16th December 2019 at 2:34 pm

In five years time, she will either have grown out of it, or, she will be spending the rest of her life in prison on eco-terrorism charges. (The same can also be said about a good many of her acolytes!) :/

14th December 2019 at 4:42 pm

There is no reason for anyone to pay much attention to weather prophets. They have never been accountable for the previous incorrect predictions and scare-mongering.

“Scientists for XR” are a cultish mixture of climate pagans and climate truthers. What we need a new category of award: hypocrite of the year. That could be closely fought field.

T Zazoo

14th December 2019 at 2:27 am

I was outraged that she became Time’s Man of the Year. Then I found out that Stalin had won it twice. I didn’t feel so bad after that.

Christopher Tyson

13th December 2019 at 10:44 pm

Jung talked about archetypes of the collective unconscious. I think that Greta is the Joan of Arc archetype. Previously we had Malala and even Aung San Suu Kyi, girlish if not a girl but more importantly the object of Western Liberal projection, and as it turns out a warning of the dangers of these myths and fantasies. Greta is a false god, an icon created my environmentalists, the angst ridden middle classes and the liberal media. They give her attention and adulation (which she is probably beginning to enjoy) they give her deference and awards, then they bow down before there own creation. When I was Greta’s age I remember a young Conservative politician burst on to the scene his name was William Hague, I didn’t think much of him, and I wouldn’t have thought much of teacher’s pet Greta either. Prospect magazine also rated Greta as one of the leading thinkers of our age, a list including a generous sprinkling of diverse genders and ethnicities, such is the corruption of intellectual life, your identity or archetype matters more than the quality of your thought. I have been interested in philosophy for about 40 years, I think everything through from first principles, if one of these liberal great and good were to say ‘hey this guy knows what he’s talking about’ it would transform my life. The elevation of Greta and the new breed of identity thinkers is a kick in the teeth to the rest of us. They who are forever banging on about inclusivity and diversity, exclude as they include, they reward those who conform to their own way of thinking. If you are a self taught, middle aged, black philosopher you will not even cross the radar of the liberal chattering classes, but the beauty of it is, they are not racist, they don’t need to be, they have more sophisticated ways of including or excluding. They love Stormzy, but Stormzy is also an archetype, the black rapper, a little bit dangerous but with the soul of a poet, for them Stormzy is authentically black. The liberal establishment hand out the jobs and control the money, they proclaim meritocracy thereby creating an in built apologetic mechanism, if you are not chosen, it’s not because they are racist, it’s because you are not good enough, but they decide what ‘good enough’ is. One dumb guy shouting abuse at a football match is held up as the embodiment of racism, those with real power to change things congratulate themselves on their own virtue , punish the offenders as defined by them and let themselves off the hook. They elevate Greta and denigrate the rest of us while parading their own sensibility ‘look at me protecting this innocent waif’. Greta has out stayed her welcome.

14th December 2019 at 9:29 pm

I wasn’t aware that she’d ever had a welcome to outstay.
I’m still repeatedly gobsmacked that those nominally in charge keep asking a 16-year old to turn up and lecture them on why they’re useless. Are they all closet masochists?
And then I remembered: these folk are always up for a camera opportunity, and the cameras at present are following Greta. Publicity hounds using a girl for their own ends. May God forgive her pathetic parents for what they’re allowing her to go through.